Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:59 pm
Posts: 64
Dear all,

I'm interested in doing a masters in Buddhist Studies and have a few questions.

What are some of the best programs? In the US, I know Emory has a Tibetan partnership and there is Naropa. What about other countries?

It seems like you need to choose a language and a field as part of your specialization ... perhaps someone who has completed a MA in Buddhist Studies could speak to this.

Thank you!

Lowell


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Posts: 1953
Maybe this site would give you some useful information:

http://www.buddhanet.net/l_study.htm

_________________
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:31 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 5771
What's your goal? Are you interested in an academic career, or in a pastoral one? Different programs suit different purposes...

you may wish to check out www.uwest.edu

_________________
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 1565
I had a great experience in my Buddhist Studies program at the University of Michigan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
lotwell wrote:
Dear all,

I'm interested in doing a masters in Buddhist Studies and have a few questions.

What are some of the best programs? In the US, I know Emory has a Tibetan partnership and there is Naropa. What about other countries?

It seems like you need to choose a language and a field as part of your specialization ... perhaps someone who has completed a MA in Buddhist Studies could speak to this.

Thank you!

Lowell


University of Virginia probably has the most balanced program. Harvard has the most language intesive, it is the most "European". Colombia's is very Gelug heavy.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 486
There's also this:

www.maitripa.org/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:09 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Tilopa wrote:
There's also this:

http://www.maitripa.org/


That also looks very Gelug heavy...

But I noticed there is a female-principle Namdrol there on the teaching staff... NAMDROL MIRANDA ADAMS

I was going to joke they are yab-yum on opposite sides of the continent but then I noticed she had a severe stroke just a couple weeks ago. We should all pray for her rapid recovery, she appears to be quite young for such a thing.

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:12 pm
Posts: 370
Namdrol wrote:
lotwell wrote:
Dear all,

I'm interested in doing a masters in Buddhist Studies and have a few questions.

What are some of the best programs? In the US, I know Emory has a Tibetan partnership and there is Naropa. What about other countries?

It seems like you need to choose a language and a field as part of your specialization ... perhaps someone who has completed a MA in Buddhist Studies could speak to this.

Thank you!

Lowell


University of Virginia probably has the most balanced program. Harvard has the most language intesive, it is the most "European". Colombia's is very Gelug heavy.


Whilst somewhat true in theory, just in terms of languages I think Virginia has the better Tibetan program whilst Harvard's Sanskrit program is very good.

In terms of selecting the right program I think it is most important to know what type of discipline you are most interested in philosophy, philology, religion etc. Then read the various academics who write within those disciplines and see who you would most like to study with and go from there …


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 1471
lotwell wrote:
Dear all,

I'm interested in doing a masters in Buddhist Studies and have a few questions.

What are some of the best programs? In the US, I know Emory has a Tibetan partnership and there is Naropa. What about other countries?

It seems like you need to choose a language and a field as part of your specialization ... perhaps someone who has completed a MA in Buddhist Studies could speak to this.

Thank you!

Lowell


Please check out the list at H-Buddhism:

http://www.h-net.org/~buddhism/GradStudies.htm

In general, in the US and most Western Universities, Buddhist studies language requirements include (in addition to English) two "canonical languages", eg. Pali, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Chinese; and two modern languages that a important for Buddhist studies, eg. Japanese, French, German, etc. Most people still study these during the first couple of years of their PhD, before confirmation of candidacy.

Fields of specialization are getting broader these days, especially with more inter-disciplinary studies. However, the somewhat old school approach tended to break Buddhism up into three groups: South Asia Buddhism - focusing on Pali Buddhism, esp. in Thailand, Sri Lanka, and maybe with Sanskrit added; East Asian Buddhism - once upon a time more focusing on Japan, but now more Chinese stuff, Korean always on the edge here, utilizing classical Chinese but through modern Japanese scholarship (though again, more and more Chinese scholarship esp. from Taiwan is being used now); and Tibetan / Himalayan Buddhism - through Tibetan and Sanskrit, though maybe with a bit of Mongolian / Kalmuk or what have you. The languages effectively make little areas of focus, which then block out other relationships. So, becoming more aware of this, scholarship is now tending to avoid this somewhat.

For an MA, your focus won't be that tight. Very few if any MA studies are really coming up with anything new. So, usually one follows some basic direction from one's professor. A PhD on the hand should be something new and cutting edge, but by the time you've gone through the MA and the first few years before candidacy, one should have the skills and outlook to do this.

So, best to find a good place with a good program, and if one can, a really good particular prof to study with.

~~ Huifeng

_________________
My Prajñācāra Blog
Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University, Taiwan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 1471
Jikan wrote:
What's your goal? Are you interested in an academic career, or in a pastoral one? Different programs suit different purposes...

you may wish to check out http://www.uwest.edu


On a related note, you can also check out Fo Guang University.
We have full scholarships for MA and new PhD program.
Drop me a line if you are interested for more details.

~~ Huifeng

_________________
My Prajñācāra Blog
Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University, Taiwan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Huifeng wrote:
Jikan wrote:
What's your goal? Are you interested in an academic career, or in a pastoral one? Different programs suit different purposes...

you may wish to check out http://www.uwest.edu


On a related note, you can also check out Fo Guang University.
We have full scholarships for MA and new PhD program.
Drop me a line if you are interested for more details.

~~ Huifeng


It looks like you already need to speak Chinese to attend?

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 1471
Adamantine wrote:
Huifeng wrote:
Jikan wrote:
What's your goal? Are you interested in an academic career, or in a pastoral one? Different programs suit different purposes...

you may wish to check out http://www.uwest.edu


On a related note, you can also check out Fo Guang University.
We have full scholarships for MA and new PhD program.
Drop me a line if you are interested for more details.

~~ Huifeng


It looks like you already need to speak Chinese to attend?


Hi,

No, the MA and PhD programs in Buddhist Studies at FGU will have full English and Chinese tracks from next academic year.
At present, it is just English. So, one can do all the classes necessary in English.

For a look, the present semester MA classes are as follows:
http://selcourse2.fgu.edu.tw:8080/cours ... _depid=282

Sorry that the website is pretty awful, it's on the list of things to do, but buzz me if you have any questions.

~~ Huifeng

_________________
My Prajñācāra Blog
Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University, Taiwan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Hi Venerable,

Have you heard anything about this organization run by Venerable Chin Kung?:

http://www.purelandcollege.org.au/

I don't think they offer degrees, but it's more of their own monastic training.

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 1471
Mr. G wrote:
Hi Venerable,

Have you heard anything about this organization run by Venerable Chin Kung?:

http://www.purelandcollege.org.au/

I don't think they offer degrees, but it's more of their own monastic training.


Hi,

Yeah, but that's a long way from a Buddhist University, or Buddhist Studies.
In Chinese these are called 佛學院, and are roughly equivalent to a seminary of sorts.

Even then, what Ven. Jin Kong is proposing is entirely Pureland material, it seems.
Almost any other Chinese Buddhist Buddhist College / Seminary has a whole range
of material. In Taiwan, from early Agamas to Mahayana sutra and sastra, to
traditional Chinese school material, and often Tibetan teachings, too.

~~ Huifeng

_________________
My Prajñācāra Blog
Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University, Taiwan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Huifeng wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
Hi Venerable,

Have you heard anything about this organization run by Venerable Chin Kung?:

http://www.purelandcollege.org.au/

I don't think they offer degrees, but it's more of their own monastic training.


Hi,

Yeah, but that's a long way from a Buddhist University, or Buddhist Studies.
In Chinese these are called 佛學院, and are roughly equivalent to a seminary of sorts.

Even then, what Ven. Jin Kong is proposing is entirely Pureland material, it seems.
Almost any other Chinese Buddhist Buddhist College / Seminary has a whole range
of material. In Taiwan, from early Agamas to Mahayana sutra and sastra, to
traditional Chinese school material, and often Tibetan teachings, too.

~~ Huifeng


Ah, interesting. Thanks!

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 am
Posts: 247
http://buddhiststudies.berkeley.edu/graduate/

_________________
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am
Posts: 300
Rangjung Yeshe Institute: http://www.shedra.org/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:59 pm
Posts: 64
Thank you all for the responses. It helps put things into perspective. For example, I didn't know how Harvard was the most "european" and language heavy.

Perhaps we should compile a list of different Universities and make a sticky?

Also, does anyone have any personal experience with Rangjung Yeshe Institute through Kahtmandu University.

Lotwell


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:48 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Norway
The Buddhist University in Budapest, Hungary:

http://www.tkbf.hu/ENGLISH/index.php

_________________
Kåre A. Lie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:16 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Posts: 4203
Location: Budapest
Kare wrote:
The Buddhist University in Budapest, Hungary:

http://www.tkbf.hu/ENGLISH/index.php


It's a great school, however, no courses in English (yet).

One can also do MA and PhD in Bristol: Centre for Buddhist Studies.

_________________
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Genduen Phuntsok, LastLegend, shakuntala and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group