YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hello, looking for some help - Dhamma Wheel

Hello, looking for some help

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
ThirdArden

Hello, looking for some help

Postby ThirdArden » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:42 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forums, and my purpose for being here is actually to help out a friend of mine. She had a small (approximately 6 inches / 15 cm) sculpture given to her as a gift many years ago, and because of a very excitable puppy it was broken last weekend.

We both know very little about the sculpture. It was a gift purchased outside of the country and the design seems Eastern (Hindu, Buddhist, possibly Chinese?) in origin, though we're not even certain of that much. We'd like to find a replacement but despite our best efforts we haven't been able to figure out what we're looking for. I'm hoping that by asking for help here and posting a picture of the sculpture we'll be able to find a replacement or at least know a little more about the origin of the piece and what it was depicting.

Thank you all very much for any information you can offer.

- Brian

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Hello, looking for some help

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Greetings,

With all those heads I'd be suspecting it's from the Hindu or Mahayana traditions... probably Indian.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mythree

Postby mythree » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Looks lyk Nataraj ( Dancing Lord Shiva) in East asian style probably javanese,burmese origin... :)
Sabbe Saththa Bhavanthu SukhiThaththa...!

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:42 pm

my wife (who is Thai) says she's never seen him before. i have however seen Buddhas or Brahmas in Thailand with 9 heads but not in that pose.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

dhamma follower

Postby dhamma follower » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:21 am

I most suspect it's a representation of Brahma, The Hindu God of creation, with the four faces to four directions, and the lotus flower on which rests his foot

Return to “Introductions”