Mixing yoga with Buddhism

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Mixing yoga with Buddhism

Postby dechen2012 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:12 am

I took refuge in Kagyu tradition in 2004 and have been studying full time at a yoga school for the last 6 months. As the course progresses we are introduced to meditating with deities along with a mantra and yantra which I am unsure I am supposed to be doing and so have not engaged in that part. The school of course is based on the Shiva Shakti principle too and so how does this effect my Buddhist practice? Is Shiva classed as a God and therefore I should not be transfiguring things into Shiva, Kali, Tripura Sundari and the rest of the 10 Cosmic Powers (which do include Tara actually)? Also bhajans are part of the programme and so are the words of Kirtan going against my refuge? I ultimately take refuge in the 3 Jewels, however pay respects to Shiva at the end of my yoga practice who put the yoga system in place. I find a real heart opening when I am in bhajans so is it ok to show respect to Krishna, Shiva etc in this manner or is a bhajan a practice of taking refuge in them from a Buddhist perspective?
dechen2012

Re: Mixing yoga with Buddhism

Postby Virgo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:46 am

It's fine.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Konchog1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:58 am

According to Tibetan Buddhism at least, it's fine to show respect to or even worship other deities as long as you hold the Three Jewels supreme. Shiva is sometimes called upon in Buddhist prayers so it's okay.

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... #body_ftn2
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby DarwidHalim » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:56 am

I am normally very very careful when I go to Vajrayana school. Before we go to take a tantra yoga practice, we have to be very very sure about the teachers, class, etc.

There are a lot of Vajrayana class in my area, but I really have no inclination to them.

There are many practitioners as well who went to wrong school, and end up with the sense of Vajravana is misleading.

So, please very very be careful.

I never go to the teacher who wear all this tantric ornament, take photos and put that photo everywhere.

Vajrayana is very powerful, but if we practice it wrongly, we will also end up in hell very quickly.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
DarwidHalim

Postby Clarence » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:47 pm

Where are you studying Dechen?

As long as you realize the deities don't have any inherent existence and won't lead you to the desired goal, I can't see how it matters. We spend so much time thinking/meditating on wordly stuff. Wouldn't hurt to practice the mind a little more, even if the used attributes are Hindu.
Clarence

Return to Exploring Buddhism