Prayers or Sutras for practioners

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dave The Seeker

Prayers or Sutras for practioners

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Could someone please help me here.
I understand that many of the Prayers and Sutras are for Ordained Monks or Nuns only.
Is there a link, or a book that could help me find some for the layman, in English please :namaste:

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Prayers or Sutras for practioners

Post by kirtu »

The Seeker wrote:Could someone please help me here.
I understand that many of the Prayers and Sutras are for Ordained Monks or Nuns only.
Is there a link, or a book that could help me find some for the layman, in English please :namaste:

Kindest wishes, Dave
In Mahayana Buddhism basically prayers and sutras are generally not divided between laymen and the ordained.

So for some sutras: you could check out the old "Buddhist Bible" by Goddard from 1923, which is a kind of anthology of Buddhist sutras, Thich Naht Hahn's anthology of sutras depicting the life of Shakyamuni Buddha "Old Path White Clouds", Lopez's anthology "Buddhist Scriptures", The Three Heap Sutra (which is a purification practice), the Heart Sutra, the Avatamsaka Sutra (parts of which can be found online), the Lotus Sutra, the Golden Light Sutra, The Diamond Sutra, the Amitabha Sutras*, the Brahma Net Sutra, various editions of the Prajnaparamita Sutras (Conze's The Large Sutra on Perfect Wisdon and Lex Hixon Mother of the Buddhas: Meditations on the Prajnaparamita Sutras), here's a link to several sutras online and here: Buddhist Scriptures in Various Languages. We also may have several links in the various Buddhist resources topics scattered through several forums.

Prayers: Atisha's Refuge Prayer, Shakyamuni Buddha Sadhana, Medicine Buddha Sadhana, Amitabha Sadhana, Tara Sadhana (all of these are from the Tibetan Buddhist tradition), Samantabhadra's Prayer (emphasized in the TBist tradition but taken from the Gandavyuha Sutra, itself a chapter in the Avatamsaka Sutra) and numerous Zen tradtion prayers.

Then there are numerous sites online with sutra collections, often from the Chinese Buddhist community:
Master Hsuan Hsa's City of 10,000 Buddhas online sutra collection
Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition sutras

I'll try to go back and provide links for these. But basically since 1992 or so Buddhist online resources just exploded. Buddhanet was one of the first (and they largely started Buddhist ebooks).

Then there are all the Theravadin sutta resources online like Access to Insight.

Kirt

*There are three main Amitabha sutras ( the Smaller Amitabha Sutra, ...) and then there is a Tibetan version of an Amitabha Sutra.
Last edited by kirtu on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Dave The Seeker

Thanks a lot Kirt, I was not aware, as I'm still new and learning, that these weren't divided between the ordained and lay people.
I'll be checking out the links. :namaste:

Kindest wishes, Dave
Last edited by Dave The Seeker on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Here's another great resource for sutras, as well as commentaries:

http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&cid=87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave The Seeker

Thank you also dakini_boi.
The links you both have provided have given me a great amount of insight.

A quote from HHDL
It is very important to understand that the core teachings of the Theravada tradition embodied in the Pali scriptures are the foundation of the Buddha's teachings. Beginning with these teachings, one can then draw on the insights contained in the detailed explanations of the Sanskrit Mahayana tradition. Finally, integrating techniques and perspectives from the Vajrayana texts can further enhance one's understanding. But without a foundation in the core teachings embodied in the Pali tradition, simply proclaiming oneself a follower of the Mahayana is meaningless.
I can at least now know more of begining of the Mahayana Tradition.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

The Seeker wrote: I understand that many of the Prayers and Sutras are for Ordained Monks or Nuns only.

Kindest wishes, Dave
This is incorrect. You can pick up any Mahayana Sutra and recite it, worship it, recite the prayers etc.

Kevin
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

The Seeker wrote: I can at least now know more of begining of the Mahayana Tradition.

Kindest wishes, Dave
Hi Dave,

I would also recommend reading Paul William's book "Buddhist Thought: A Complete Introduction to the Indian Tradition". There may be one floating on Scribd. It's a fairly comprehensive introductory book that covers Theravada to Mahayana to Vajrayana. Quite a nice read you may enjoy. After that you can dive into his other book, "Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations"
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Dave The Seeker

Thank you very much Mr. G. :namaste:
I will definetly find that book.

Virgo, thank you as well, but Kirt also informed me in the second post.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”