My Reincarnation

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
kirtu
Former staff member

My Reincarnation

Post by kirtu »

Two thumbs up, sort of. :juggling:

To some extent it is a movie in search of a topic, a criticism leveled at the movie by several critics, including the film maker. A compelling glimpse into Namkhai Norbu's life, family and activity and unintentionally an expose of the lack of maturity and confidence in many Westerners in Dharma Circles (and a warning that upon the passing of our charismatic teachers things may irreparably fragment). While the focus shifts to the story of Yeshi's spiritual awakening, it is ultimately a tale of the development of a relationship between father and son.

And it's fun to see Namkhai Norbu as a somewhat goofy grandfather.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Konchog1

Re: My Reincarnation

Post by Konchog1 »

Exposé implies the revealing of something that wasn't well known before ;)
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I really enjoyed the movie. Yes, it was a story about the relationship between father and son, albeit it was two tulku father and son. I think it also dispelled a lot of misunderstandings on how a genuine terton acts, teaches and relates to students. A really wonderful movie.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Konchog1 wrote:Exposé implies the revealing of something that wasn't well known before ;)
I think people may not be aware of how tenuous the situation is in apparently a lot of Dharma groups. This was unintentionally touched on in the movie.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
A compelling glimpse into Namkhai Norbu's life, family and activity and unintentionally an expose of the lack of maturity and confidence in many Westerners in Dharma Circles.
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

The estrangement between father and son was sad to see. I think it is a symptom of Namkhai Norbu's monastic upbringing, that he wasn't able to relate warmly to his son. Seeing Norbu beat his cancer through his practice was impressive, though.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Tenzin1 wrote:The estrangement between father and son was sad to see. I think it is a symptom of Namkhai Norbu's monastic upbringing, that he wasn't able to relate warmly to his son. Seeing Norbu beat his cancer through his practice was impressive, though.
Maybe but lots of fathers and sons have communication problems and conflicts. Yeshi said in the movie that his father is very traditional in some aspects and was following a traditional model of a Tibetan master. In some clips Namkhai Norbu was clearly reaching out to Yeshi and was rebuffed, perhaps unintentionally.

Namkhai Norbu also clearly said that basically personality doesn't really change too much with realization. That is sobering.

But all's well that ends well.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

POV Kicks Off 25th Season with "My Reincarnation," an Intimate Yet Epic Story Of Spiritual Struggle Between Father and Son, Thursday, June 21, 2012 on PBS

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pressroom/2012/p ... nation.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

It turns out that there are outtakes from "My Reincarnation" that didn't make it into the film itself but are being published. Here is one with CHNNR repeating part of the famous story of himself requesting and eventually receiving initiation from Changchub Dorje and a surprise at the end.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

kirtu wrote:It turns out that there are outtakes from "My Reincarnation" that didn't make it into the film itself but are being published. Here is one with CHNNR repeating part of the famous story of himself requesting and eventually receiving initiation from Changchub Dorje and a surprise at the end.

Kirt
I really like that one!

Return to “Media”