Message from Bhikkhu Bodhi regarding recent scam

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
Ben

Message from Bhikkhu Bodhi regarding recent scam

Post by Ben »

Dear friends

A message from Bhikkhu Bodhi regarding a recent hacking of his account and request for money:
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:On Monday morning someone in the U.K hijacked Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi's gmail account. He wrote a global email through Ven. Bodhi's contact list, reporting that Ven. Bodhi was stranded in Scotland and in urgent need of money to pay his hotel bills and return home. If you received such an email, be aware that it was from the hacker, not from Ven. Bodhi. This is a scam.
kind regards

Ben[/quote]
Huifeng

Re: Message from Bhikkhu Bodhi regarding recent scam

Post by Huifeng »

Yes, I received that scam email, but immediately knew the situation.
Hope he's sorted it out, okay.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Its the wild web world out there... :toilet:
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Pray for the hacker.

Hacking into a bhikkhu's account and attempting to steal money from people by stealing his identity!

That's some heavy karmic debt to repay.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Thanks Ben :smile:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Ben wrote: A message from Bhikkhu Bodhi regarding a recent hacking of his account and request for money:
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:On Monday morning someone in the U.K hijacked Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi's gmail account. He wrote a global email through Ven. Bodhi's contact list, reporting that Ven. Bodhi was stranded in Scotland and in urgent need of money to pay his hotel bills and return home. If you received such an email, be aware that it was from the hacker, not from Ven. Bodhi. This is a scam.
[/quote]

Ben and All - this is going around and started this morning. I got email from a person I know from Nyingma teachings who is active on the Washington Buddhist Peace Fellowship email list and other lists with the same issue. Although it appeared to be a scam I was going to call her apt. to make sure she wasn't really stranded, etc.

It may be a gmail security hole or anyone's email address might be up to use for this scam.

Please beware - :(

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I had the same message pretending to be from a friend of mine in Dubai.

He was supposedly stranded in Delhi and in need of money.

The Nigerian scammers (that was apparently the source) obviously had no idea that he was Indian and had family in Delhi! LOL :)

His account was with Hotmail.

The scammers probably need no fancy web skills. Buddhists are probably easy to hack, like any group with a common interest. How many of us use a Buddhist name or term as our passwords, I wonder? :emb:
Left

Return to “Announcements”