Ligmincha Institute : 2 Year Yeaching on Soul and Life-Force

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
phantom59

Ligmincha Institute : 2 Year Yeaching on Soul and Life-Force

Post by phantom59 »

Ligmincha Institute is excited to announce a new two-year training program in Soul and Life-Force Retrieval. This unique program, offered in four five-day sessions in the spring and fall of 2012 and 2013, will provide the in-depth knowledge and experience needed to perform the Bon Buddhist practice of soul and life-force retrieval for oneself or, with the instructor's permission, for others

During this program participants will learn the rituals associated with soul and life-force retrieval according to the Yungdrung Bon Buddhist tradition of Tibet. There will be two training sessions per year taught by fully trained Tibetan lamas who carry the lineage of the practice. Instruction will be given in the meaning and execution of the rituals, as well as in the proper way to prepare the ritual space and to make the necessary ritual objects. Participants are requested to be semi-silent outside of the formal teaching and practice sessions, using their time for mantra recitation and recitation of the translated ritual text. During the program, the complete soul and life-force retrieval will be performed by the lama for the benefit of those attending this program.

https://www.ligmincha.org/news-releases ... ieval.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tenzin1

Re: Ligmincha Institute : 2 Year Yeaching on Soul and Life-Force

Post by Tenzin1 »

This is the same lama who opened a center in Crestone, CO some years ago. Is he still operating the center there, or has he moved to the one in VA? I live within a few hours' drive of the Crestone center, I'm wondering if there would ever be an opportunity to receive these teachings there.

Thanks for posting this.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

phantom59 wrote:Ligmincha Institute is excited to announce a new two-year training program in Soul and Life-Force Retrieval. This unique program, offered in four five-day sessions in the spring and fall of 2012 and 2013, will provide the in-depth knowledge and experience needed to perform the Bon Buddhist practice of soul and life-force retrieval for oneself or, with the instructor's permission, for others

https://www.ligmincha.org/news-releases ... ieval.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a ripoff.

N
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

Namdrol wrote:
phantom59 wrote:Ligmincha Institute is excited to announce a new two-year training program in Soul and Life-Force Retrieval. This unique program, offered in four five-day sessions in the spring and fall of 2012 and 2013, will provide the in-depth knowledge and experience needed to perform the Bon Buddhist practice of soul and life-force retrieval for oneself or, with the instructor's permission, for others

What a ripoff.

N
the price, or what they're teaching? (or both?)
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

This course does include four five-day retreats, and it seems that the average Buddhist one-weekend retreat generally costs about $300. So maybe a little pricey, but not totally out of control. :shrug:

What is totally out of control however, is:

"Zen Master" Dennis Merzel's "Big Mind®" retreats, where you can get instant enlightenment for only $49,999! :woohoo:

*Not including taxes, some restrictions may apply

Edit: Looks like $50,000 was for five people, but now he's still charging $15,000 per person.

:crazy:
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

gad rgyangs wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

What a ripoff.

N
the price, or what they're teaching? (or both?)
Sounds like anti-Bon bias, to me. Sectarian rears its ugly head. :tongue:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tenzin1 wrote: Sounds like anti-Bon bias, to me. Sectarian rears its ugly head.

Why pay hundreds of dollars to learn a rite that is a common to almost every long life practice?
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

The fact that this is a two-year training course that includes four five-day retreats, tells us that there's most likely more to it than what one would get out of other Long-Life practices.

Of course for many of those who don't want to take a two-year training course on Soul and Lifeforce Retrieval, any other authentic Long-Life practice would likely suffice.

But maybe there is some extra benefit to knowing the Soul and Lifeforce Retrieval practices of Yungdrung Bon.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol wrote:

Why pay hundreds of dollars to learn a rite that is a common to almost every long life practice?
Because you get a certificate?
A Two-Year-Certificate Training Program
:tongue:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lhug-Pa wrote:The fact that this is a two-year training course that includes four five-day retreats, tells us that there's most likely more to it than what one would get out of other Long-Life practices.
These kinds of ritual arts are not so complicated.

Anyway people are free to do what they like.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Well it may or may not be worth it, depending on the individual; and also, even if it is a little pricey, it's not necessarily a 'rip-off'.

Although like I said, for a lot of people other Long-Life practices would most likely suffice. For example in the Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, there are as you know Long-Life practices and Sang & Serkyem offering practices etc. that would not necessarily cost hundreds of dollars and two years to learn.

But again depending on the individual, the Bonpo Soul and Lifeforce Retrieval practices could have some extra benefit that other Long-Life practices don't have.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lhug-Pa wrote:the Bonpo Soul and Lifeforce Retrieval practices could have some extra benefit that other Long-Life practices don't have.
Not really.

N
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Namdrol wrote:

Ahhhh... the point at last! In that case, it might be something of a rip, but then I consider that I am tossing ten bucks (suggested donation) into the pot each week for a 2 hour meditation/instruction class. That's $520 bucks a year for instruction from a nun of ordinary qualifications. So it's not like he's charging an arm and a leg. Many a Christian tosses more into the church pot each year, and gets almost no personal instruction for it.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Yeh we know this song worldwide very well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well many Dharma centers worldwide charge money and money and money for many purposes or means.
Where does all that money go to, when i may ask so?

Also in Italy inside the Center of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche is that the case. I heard here even that the total income there have been raised to a certain degree. Ok that is also the case in the States in Lingmincha.

I guess that it is because they have to pay those huge bills due to the(ir) immense (personal) performance / projects.
For me it would be enough to receive teachings in a cave or hut in the wood and that would save much money.
In the present days where there is not enough income some payments for receiving Dharma are TOO much.
On my plate on the table does anyway count the quality of the food and not the golden plate where there is poor food on.

So all in all as well in Italy as well somewhere else like in the States, is the charging money for receiving Dharma TOO much for some of us who have a poor income.

OM MANI PEME HUNG
OM MATRI MUYE SALE DU

Mutsog Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

• How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Bön”