Hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
SittingSilent

Hello!

Post by SittingSilent »

Greetings to all! I am a 25 year old guy living in the northeast United States. I have been interested in Buddhism since I was a teenager but have found myself drawn to learning more about it more recently partly as the result of some health issues and existential ponderings.

I don't know very much beyond the basics yet, and as far as which school (if that would be the correct term) of Buddhism I feel would be right for me to follow, I don't know yet. I am open to learning and exploring. This forum seems a great place to start!
MrDistracted

Re: Hello!

Post by MrDistracted »

Hi

:namaste:
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

Since you haven't yet picked a school, perhaps you could also benefit from visiting our sister board: Dhamma Wheel
Whatever your choice may be, I wish you the best. With ;) both you have it covered!

DN
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
SittingSilent

Post by SittingSilent »

Thank you all for the kind welcome! I look forward to learning more and meeting others!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome to the drama at Dharma Wheel! :smile:

If things get ugly in the sandpit and some of the nasty blighters start to spit, kick and bite, rest assured that if you call to all the wonderful moderators and administrators at the site they will be there in a jiffy to tweek the offenders ear!

I say this coz I'm a biter! :)
Last edited by Grigoris on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Hi there

You might want to check in with Gregkarvanos who the is the chief of Investigation Department on DharmaWheel.
It’s eye blinking.
do_not_zzz

Post by do_not_zzz »

Namaste, welcome to DharmaWheel! Looking forward to your posts and insight!

dnz _/|\_
SittingSilent

Post by SittingSilent »

It is great to see such a welcome. Sorry I haven't jumped in much, I've been in the hospital for much of the month of December, and am currently. On a positive note, my mother gave me a beautiful lapis lazuli silver Medicine Buddha necklace today for the holiday (she follows the Christian faith, so I support her). It is a great comfort ahead of my looming medical procedures begining Tuesday morning.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

I hope your health improves fast.

:anjali:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Hi Sitting Silent,

Welcome to the forum.

Many forum users here are practitioners and a bunch of us do Medicine Buddha practice regularly, I think everyone would be happy to do some extra practice and dedicate it to your successful procedures and recovery on Tuesday. I just wanted to put it out there, to inspire others also.

~A
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
SittingSilent

Post by SittingSilent »

:thanks:
I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to learn how to do the practice myself as well, however I have a ways to go in terms of understanding the language and techniques.

E
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

SittingSilent wrote::thanks:
I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to learn how to do the practice myself as well, however I have a ways to go in terms of understanding the language and techniques.

E

SO for a practice like Medicine Buddha, it is the very best to receive the empowerment from a qualified Guru as well as the oral transmission, etc. But it is one of those mantras that brings benefit even without this. Here's a couple resources: http://www.khandro.net/deities_sangyemenla.htm
http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/sad ... tm#Thrangu

Also, please post something about your situation and procedures in the prayers section of this forum so that more people can join in. :namaste:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Hello SittingSilent! Welcome to Dharmawheel.

Here's a picture of Medicine Buddha:
MedicineBuddhaAbbey.jpg
MedicineBuddhaAbbey.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 4900 times
I hope you feel better soon.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
SittingSilent

Post by SittingSilent »

I'm sorry to all those who were thinking of me that I disappeared last year. :oops: I was in the hospital undergoing electro-convulsive treatments for depression and apparently the memory of having posted seems to have been erased at the time. However, in my current seeking of Buddhist knowledge I have found this website again and luckily my computer has stored my username and password! I am no longer undergoing ECT after it seriously damaged my memory. I am still very interested in Buddhism though and would like to learn as much as possible and if it feels right at some point take refuge with a teacher. I still wear my Medicine Buddha pendant daily, as well as a special amulet I got from Snow Lion that I can't really remember the exact specifications of but I believe is supposed to provide protection.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome back! Hope your health is much better now!
lobster

Post by lobster »

Hi :hi:
Have you remembered to practice anything? Seems like you have been through the wheel of samsara, any plans for Buddhahood? We slackers need all the inspiration we can find :hug:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome back SittingSilent! I sincerely hope you are feeling better.
Greg
PS If you wish you can post a picture of the amulet and we can see if we can tell you its significance.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Hope you recover real fast

Return to “Introductions”