Dzogchen Study

krodha

Re: Dzogchen Study

Post by krodha »

Namdrol wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:

And also be keen on distinguishing Dzogchen from the lower vehicles. Don't get caught up in the bullshit.

Lower vehicles are not bullshit.

N
Whoa! Never said the lower vehicles are bullshit... What's going on in this thread?! I'm in the misconstrued twilight zone
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:

And also be keen on distinguishing Dzogchen from the lower vehicles. Don't get caught up in the bullshit.

Lower vehicles are not bullshit.

N
Whoa! Never said the lower vehicles are bullshit... What's going on in this thread?! I'm in the misconstrued twilight zone

Your statement is not very clear.
krodha

Post by krodha »

I can see how you got that from what I wrote though. Both statements were meant to stand alone. Maybe an "and" in-between both would've been appropriate. Yes not very clear... But now clarified
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

About H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama and Dzogchen, there's also the Dalai Lama's commentary on the second volume of Longchenpa Rabjampa's Kindly Bent to Ease Us (Finding Comfort In Ease) that was briefly discussed here:

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... mas#p68329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

pemachophel wrote:Sonam-la,

Someone has already answered about H.H.'s being Gelugpa and a Dzogchen practitioner/Teacher. Are you suggesting being a monk is somehow antithetical to being a "real" Dzogchenpa?
Being a monk not ... being a Gelugpa possibly, because of particular Gelugpa's view about what is "real"

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sönam wrote:
pemachophel wrote:Sonam-la,

Someone has already answered about H.H.'s being Gelugpa and a Dzogchen practitioner/Teacher. Are you suggesting being a monk is somehow antithetical to being a "real" Dzogchenpa?
Being a monk not ... being a Gelugpa possibly, because of particular Gelugpa's view about what is "real"

Sönam
Sonam,

Jigme Lingpa's Madhyamaka view was Gelug, as was Shabkar's -- so it is pretty clear that one can hold Gelug Madhyamaka view and still be a realized Dzogchen practitioner.

N
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Yes, very clear. The precious jewel also (His Holliness the 14'th Dalai Lama), and surely many others.

Kevin
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Sure you are all right ... it's just that I had recently a "hard" discussion with a Gelugpa on what is non conditionned, pretending that Dzogchen is so and so, using HHDL quotations.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Sönam wrote:Sure you are all right ... it's just that I had recently a "hard" discussion with a Gelugpa on what is non conditionned, pretending that Dzogchen is so and so, using HHDL quotations.

Sönam
And what was your experience in your avatar photo?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Adamantine wrote:
Sönam wrote:Sure you are all right ... it's just that I had recently a "hard" discussion with a Gelugpa on what is non conditionned, pretending that Dzogchen is so and so, using HHDL quotations.

Sönam
And what was your experience in your avatar photo?
It was not a discussion on the non conditionned :smile:

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sönam

Well, a "Gelugpa", and a Gelug Dzogchen practitioner are entirely different animals. The former cannot be expected to understand Dzogchen.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

There's also a book called the Golden Letters with introduction by Namkhai Norbu and contains translations of Garab Dorje's 'Hitting the Essence in Three Words' and Patrul Rinpoche's commentary.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Golden-Letter ... 128&sr=1-1
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

And the following books as well:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.shangshungpublications.org/2 ... malamitra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tibet.dk/pktc/transpaper.htm ... ThreeLines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Lions-Gaze-Commen ... 1880975041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't studied the above books yet, but what I've read so far of The Golden Letters by Vajranatha is really good too.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol wrote:

Sönam

Well, a "Gelugpa", and a Gelug Dzogchen practitioner are entirely different animals. The former cannot be expected to understand Dzogchen.

Good point!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Return to “Dzogchen”