a couple of questions, if i may...?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tara_lynn

a couple of questions, if i may...?

Post by tara_lynn »

1. what does it mean when you dream of HH dalai lama? i read somewhere that it's not really a "dream"...?

2. what is the naga realm?
"if you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them."
~ hh dalai lama
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: a couple of questions, if i may...?

Post by catmoon »

I do not know anything about such things, but if I were having such dreams I'd be making notes of them for future reference. You never know...
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

tara_lynn wrote:1. what does it mean when you dream of HH dalai lama? i read somewhere that it's not really a "dream"...?

1. That you've been thinking about him while awake

2. Where the nagas (gods of water) reside.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Vipassualty

Post by Vipassualty »

1. what does it mean when you dream of HH dalai lama? i read somewhere that it's not really a "dream"...?

I have no idea how rare or uncommon this is, but a person can indeed experience glimpses of previous lives in their dreams, though it's of the nature of the mind in its many hindrances to obscure any full and proper understanding of this sort of thing to anyone but the most faithful and persistent meditator who having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree develops her wisdom. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... html#ch1.5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gurokevin

Post by gurokevin »

It is actually quite uncommon to have a dream of HH Dalai Lama. You should consider it a blessing.
Karma Lodro Senge
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion - H.H. The XIV Dalai Lama
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Chalk up another HHDL dream. All I remember is, he was really angry and everyone was trying to calm him down.

Is that weird or what?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Angelic Fruitcake

Post by Angelic Fruitcake »

I dreamed about HHDL once. I was following him around everywhere, while he walked around in very ordinary circumstances, like a festival or something, completely unattended. Sometimes people walked with him, but no entourage. I kept doing weird and somewhat embarrassing things but then just returned to walking with him. Sounds fairly symbolic when I decribe it but I've always thought of dreams like mental by-products. Some you remember because your sleep is light, some you don't. Is there any reason to think otherwise?
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

You have a connection with him :smile: Simple.....but could be a blessing.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

tara_lynn wrote:1. what does it mean when you dream of HH dalai lama? i read somewhere that it's not really a "dream"...?
Who knows? If you attended a teaching with HH, it's to be expected. If you saw him on TV, is not unlikely, if you've been reading about Dharma, the same. If it came out of nowhere, it's interesting.
Anyway, I hope it was a pleasant dream, but don't get hung up on the experience. Write it down if you think it's important.
It's the samsaric experience of naga beings, meaning their conventional reality. Our human experience of samsara is the human realm. So in a way the naga realm is their "dream like reality" as our human realm is our "dream like reality". Both make contact cyclically. It's important not to take the interaction with nagas lightly as they are easy to provocate and then can cause some disagreeable consequences in one's life.

Best wishes.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”