Ven. Ananda Bodhi/Karma tenzin Dorje Namgyal

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Ven. Ananda Bodhi/Karma tenzin Dorje Namgyal

Postby cooran » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Hello all,

Interesting.

A Theravada Bhikkhu, Venerable Ananda Bodhi, also recognised in 1968 by H.H. Gyalwa Karmapa as a tulku and enlightened meditation master.

On a return visit in 1971 he was subsequently given full ordination in the Kagyu School of Tibetan Buddhism with the name Karma Tenzin Dorje Namgyal Rinpoche.

Later that year in Green River, Ontario — on instructions from H.H. XVIth Karmapa — he was formally enthroned by the Venerable Karma Thinley Rinpoche. After that, most of his students addressed him as Namgyal Rinpoche.
http://www.bodhipublishing.org/contents/en-ca/d34.html

with metta
Chris
cooran

Re: Ven. Ananda Bodhi/Karma tenzin Dorje Namgyal

Postby Jinzang » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:49 am

Yeah, those of us who been around the scene for a long time remember Namgyal Rinpoche. I'd say more, but it would only make some people angry.
Lamrim, lojong, and mahamudra are the unmistaken path.
Jinzang

Postby J-Bird » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:41 am

I would like to hear more about this Rinpoche. I have not heard of him before, but did a google search and it seems like he was a legitimate teacher, a Tulku in fact, of western decent who lived his life spreading the dharma?
J-Bird

Postby cooran » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:34 am

Hello J-Bird,

This site may be helpful:

Namgyal Rinpoche was recognized by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, and a close friendship developed between His Holiness and Rinpoche. The Venerable Dudjom Rinpoche, the late head of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism, also declared his respect for Namgyal Rinpoche, confirming the earlier assessment by the Gyalwa Karmapa that this man born in Canada was in fact the reincarnation of the renowned Tibetan saint Mipam Namgyal.
http://www.sakyanamgyal.com/namgyal.html

with metta
Chris
cooran

Return to Kagyu