YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What did you study in college? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

What did you study in college?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Thaibebop

Re: What did you study in college?

Postby Thaibebop » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Hello Eric.

I am a late bloomer as I am just finishing my undergrad this winter and I am 32. It took awhile and one reason was I tried studying disciplines I didn't care about. I am now finishing with a degree in East Asian History and am applying to colleges for a masters in South East Asian History. I plan on being a history professor. This may or may not come to pass as I have family and very little money. Moving across country my not be possible which could end my college journey. So, I say do what you love from the beginning, don't waste time on anything else.

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Claire

Postby Claire » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Eric,

When I first went to college I studied how to bunk of, how much alcohol I could drink before passing out and how much alcohol I could drink before attending a class and not getting thrown out for turning up drunk .... needless to say, I am not proud of my younger college days and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. :embarassed: Now being a lot older and much wiser (ish :thinking: ), I am studying a degree in Environmental Science. I was torn for a little while between this and Geosciences, partly because I know Geosciences looks better on a CV, but I know ultimately my heart lies in caring for the environment. :heart:

Even if you complete your studies and decide you should have chosen a different route, you can always go back. I’m 27 and I have another 4 years ahead of me with my studies, my partner is 34 and he is planning another 7 years of study. It isn't easy but you would find a way if you needed to and you don't always have to put your life on hold to go 'back to school' ... whatever your choice, its never too late to follow a different path if you choose to further down the road.

Good luck with your studies. :reading:

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:32 pm

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

chownah

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:59 pm

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:22 pm

My first degree was a Bachelor of Fine Arts; I majored in Studio Art. I was a Classical oil painter. Then I went back and got a degree in mechanical engineering, in which I worked for nine or ten years, but had to retire due to health issues (psychiatric health issues). I make a happier living these days in the entertainment field. Oddly enough, I can no longer draw or paint a lick. I think my brain rewired itself away from artistic toward engineering. However, I've been studying piano with some success recently. I guess I can't stay the same person for very long; I get bored with myself. :P

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:33 pm

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:26 am

How's the job market in Buddhist Studies?
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

convivium

Postby convivium » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 pm

i don't know if i should finish my b.a. to help me grandparents: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/rs/
i really feel ready to ordain but they are asking me to do this...
mara is probably to just trying to keep me from ordaining. mara is that you?
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:09 am

If you have any obligations (unwanted or not), I think it's better to do them. It'd be good for you in the long run. You don't want to leave behind anything that is akusala.

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:44 am

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

convivium

Postby convivium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:18 am

Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

convivium

Postby convivium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:34 am

i don't know about myself, i might apply there.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:19 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

I did an honours degree in Psychology and Philosophy, but I took a different direction with my career and became a new media designer.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:52 pm

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

MichaelPalone

Postby MichaelPalone » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm currently studying applied mathematics (I'm an undergrad) but I've supplemented that with a healthy dose of philosophy. I've learned more in one year than I could in 5 alone. College can be an amazing tool for intellectual growth but it needs to be the right college and you need to study something of interest. I know many engineering students who have dropped out because they couldn't get the motivation to continue- they were only studying engineering for the job opportunities. It isn't enough to have job opportunities or even to be good at something. You have to really enjoy it.

Return to “Lounge”