Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dave The Seeker

Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

Post by Dave The Seeker »

I have just gotten one of his books, Modern Buddhism, The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, vol 3 Prayers for Daily Practice.
I have been reciting the prayers before and after meditation,and they seem very uplifting and fulfilling.
Have any of you read any other of his books?
I'm going to be getting more of them, bonus is they're free for the kindle, and other media devices.

Kindest wishes
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
gad rgyangs

Re: Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

Post by gad rgyangs »

Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

First off, I have to point out that discussion of the NKT is one of the topics section 4 of the ToS was written about. We don't do NKT discussions on this board.

The great bulk of GKG's writing is middle of the road, completely orthodox Gelug teaching. He actually had mostly the same teachers that taught the Dalai Lama his stuff.

However there are points of strong dispute between the Gelug mainstream and the NKT, which we do not discuss here because they invariably blow up into horrendous flame wars. If these battles interest you, you can Google them up some time, but we are very serious about keeping these disputes off of Dharma Wheel.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The Seeker wrote:I have just gotten one of his books, Modern Buddhism, The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, vol 3 Prayers for Daily Practice.
I have been reciting the prayers before and after meditation,and they seem very uplifting and fulfilling.
Have any of you read any other of his books?
I'm going to be getting more of them, bonus is they're free for the kindle, and other media devices.

Kindest wishes
After a Tonglen/Lojong retreat (organised and taught by Kagyu practitioners) I brought and read his book "Eight Steps To Happiness", this was before I was aware of all the hoo-ha surrounding him and his organisation, and the teachings in the book did not differ in the slightest from what I was taught at the retreat (or other books from other authors that I read subsequently). I don't know about his other books though.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

For discussion of Geshe Kelsang's work there are alternative websites with different Terms of Service. There is a forum, freesangha.com, and a couple of Facebook groups, one of which is for followers of Geshe Kelsang, the other for the New Kadampa.

I study with Gelugpa Geshes and previously with Geshe Kelsang's organisation, the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT) - aside from the one contentious issue there is no difference in the teachings. Geshe Kelsang bases his books on traditional Gelugpa sources such as Pabongka's 'Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand' which is also an excellent text.
Left
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

First of all Kelsang Gyatso is not a Geshe. He never earned the title. Second Kelsang Gyatso came into power after he blackmailed the FPMT over drug trafficking to gain control of the multi million dollar Manjusri Institute. Lastly there is a lot of controversy as to just who writes his books. I encourage all to do their homework when it comes to Kelsang Gyatso and the NKT. There is a group I created for former members called New Kadampa Survivors. We now have over a thousand members. The fact the group even needs to exist is testament at how harmful the NKT is.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Hi friend (The Seeker),

Before you proceed, I advise you to take some time and read the webpages linked to the ToS under point 4.
My personal take is for you to avoid any association with NKT. This doesn't mean developing any feeling of hostility for their members/ sympathizers.

This topic is now locked.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”