One Post per Day?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Silent Bob

One Post per Day?

Post by Silent Bob »

I notice that certain regulars here in the Tibetan forum habitually adopt an adversarial tone and are very quick to find fault with others' comments. IMHO, this cheapens the the flow of useful dialogue and may discourage some from posting. It wasn't so long ago that I facilitated another Dharma forum and had similar issues over the same few people always grabbing the mike and being generally disrespectful of others' views. Our solution there, and I believe it's worked, was to limit *everyone* to one post per day. That may seem extreme, but in this case it might be a good remedy to selectively apply just to those few who aren't able to play nicely, as an interim measure short of banning entirely. Personally?...I don't care to have some character on the other side of the earth remarking about whether I'm keeping my samaya, especially if he doesn't know me, or my teacher, or anything about our relationship.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Mr. G

Re: One Post per Day?

Post by Mr. G »

Silent Bob wrote:I notice that certain regulars here in the Tibetan forum habitually adopt an adversarial tone and are very quick to find fault with others' comments.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the Tibetan Buddhism forum, and there have been no reports made recently against any members regarding rule violations in reference to this forum's TOS.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Mr. G wrote:
Silent Bob wrote:I notice that certain regulars here in the Tibetan forum habitually adopt an adversarial tone and are very quick to find fault with others' comments.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the Tibetan Buddhism forum, and there have been no reports made recently against any members regarding rule violations in reference to this forum's TOS.
"Reports"? no, just nasty adversarial vibes that stink up the place, but if it's ok with you, far be it from me to to protest.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

HI Chris,

If there is something specific you'd like to discuss, please feel free to PM me or any other mods/admins. We would like to help and address any issues you have.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I think I know what he's talking about... too often, I've got sucked in.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Paul

Post by Paul »

Adamantine wrote:I think I know what he's talking about... too often, I've got sucked in.
Me too. Although I now just use the ignore feature and avoid getting wound up.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

It's a feeling I can share too ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

We all get sucked in at one point or another. I wouldn't take things too seriously on the internet.

• How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Silent Bob wrote:Our solution there, and I believe it's worked, was to limit *everyone* to one post per day.
You do realise that you have already "broken" the "rule" that you just proposed? Image Maybe it's not actually a solution after all?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I feel ya, Chris...
Mindfullness and right speech sometimes seem in short supply on Dharma forums....

But it's all just part of the display......
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Paul wrote:
Adamantine wrote:I think I know what he's talking about... too often, I've got sucked in.
"ignore". what a great feature--thanks for mentioning it!
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Paul wrote:

How do you activate that? Is it related to the
"friend" or "foe" buttons?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I'd love a link to click on to ignore 'my self'.

I am not alone. ;)
Left
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Adamantine wrote:
Paul wrote:

How do you activate that? Is it related to the
"friend" or "foe" buttons?
yep. you put someone on the foe list, they are ignored.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

catmoon wrote:
yep. you put someone on the foe list, they are ignored.
'Foe' seems a bit harsh on a Buddhist forum, especially when the 'Foe Destroyers' description is not about other people.

Is there a way to change the label from 'Foe' to 'Ignore' ?
Left
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Ignoring people that do not agree with you. Now that is an incredibly mature attitude!

And what happens if at some point they happen to agree with you? Or say something intelligent and relevant? Or request your assistance? You make them friends again?

So instead of looking at our own minds and our reactions ,we just throw the blame onto those surrounding us??? Am I missing something here? Is this a new Buddhist method? Image

I wonder what would have happened if all the Bodhisattvas and Buddhas ignored the ignorant rantings (cries of suffering and pain) of sentient beings? Practiced discrimination on the basis of like or dislike? Friend or foe?

Up until now I have found that all the "arguments" that I have had with people here, have been based on a misunderstanding of what was written or the intention behind the statements, rather than any real or solid disgreement. And this, normally, after a flurry of PM with the "aggravating" party. There has not been a single occasion where dialogue has not solved an apparent problem. Not one occasion.

It's amazing what a bit of direct and sincere communication can clear up. Image

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
plwk

Post by plwk »

Ignoring people that do not agree with you. Now that is an incredibly mature attitude!
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Bhikkhus, there are these five ways of removing annoyance, by which annoyance can be entirely removed by a bhikkhu when it arises in him.
What are the five?

"Loving-kindness... "Compassion... "Onlooking equanimity...
"The forgetting and ignoring of a person with whom you are annoyed can be practiced; this too is how annoyance with him can be removed.
"Ownership of deeds in a person with whom you are annoyed can be concentrated upon thus:
'This good person is owner of his deeds, heir to his deeds, his deeds are the womb from which he is born, his deeds are his kin for whom he is responsible, his deeds are his refuge, he is heir to his deeds, be they good or bad.' This too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

"These are the five ways of removing annoyance, by which annoyance can be entirely removed in a bhikkhu when it arises in him."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I stand corrected! Thank you plwk! Image

Now should I be the devils advocate and make comments about Bodhisattva versus Arhat approaches? Image
Nah!!! I'll stick with standing corrected! :twothumbsup:
PS I still believe that intelligent and in depth personal dialogue solves most issues.

Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

gregkavarnos wrote:
It's amazing what a bit of direct and sincere communication can clear up. Image
Ah, the answer to that is to 'smite' the person giving such clear communication if it offends you. Yes, some forums have this function too! Some also enable you to build up 'merits' or 'varrots' which other people give to you - pumping up your ego or pricking your pride. It's similar to 'Like' on Facebook where if you don't click on 'Like' every damn time someone posts they may get upset.

The forum templates just aren't written with Buddhists in mind!

I can see a niche in the market for a forum template with such tools as 'Practice Patience' , Exercise Compassion' , 'Give Dharma' etc. I'd even let Christians use it too! LOL :)
Left
plwk

Post by plwk »

Now should I be the devils advocate and make comments about Bodhisattva versus Arhat approaches?
Really? As I see it, there's nothing 'Arhat/Bodhisattva' about it.
If one notices, note that the first three approaches are maitri, karuna and upeksha...which is telling me that my first three approaches/options are to take on the immeasurable mind first...

Failing that, human that plwk is, his mind oft chooses the self cherishing and easier one, that is to ignore as first option instead of the above three...but then again, the Lord never said that this approach is to go on forever, perhaps until I can subdue myself first?

I was just reminded of what I read in the Lotus Sutra, Atisa's 'Heart Advice' and just last night, Je Gampopa's 'A Precious Garland for the Supreme Path' which seem to speak of avoiding/practicing caution with certain groups/individuals and circumstances at initial stages due to one's weak mind and resolution, until one can train oneself to a stable level...

Heard of noble silence? To me, it's could be ...
1. a strategy to tame oneself
2. perhaps a cooling off period for all parties involved?
3. as a disciplinary measure for spiritual advancement/training?

Just some thoughts...

Return to “Suggestion Box”