The Pure Land, Nibbana?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
White Lotus

The Pure Land, Nibbana?

Post by White Lotus »

Is the pure land entered in this life Nibbana on Earth? or is it just an altered state?
not that all things arnt already nibbana in a sense, even ignorance and delusion.

I am told that all of the Zen patriarchs entered 'the pure land' of Nibbana whilst in this life. i am told it is satisfying, stable and without fear, touched by glimpses of real beauty, seen in the miracle of the supposedly ordinary.

i would like to know more about this pure land. what can anyone say about it. is the pure land of the Zen patriarchs, nibbana experienced in this life? what conditions must be met in order to accord with this pure land. does one need to be enlightened to be in it?

i am told that there is absolute certainty of it when one has entered, sometimes discomfort is possible within it, but is suffering possible within the pure land?

love, White Lotus. x
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Huifeng

Re: The Pure Land, Nibbana?

Post by Huifeng »

This is worth checking out (caution: PDF file link):

"On Pure Land Buddhism and Ch'an/Pure Land Syncretism in Medieval China," T'oung Pao 88, no. 4-5 (June, 2003), pp. 282-331.

Thanks to some1 for pointing out the online links for Prof Sharf's articles.

As the article shows, in China at least, the distinction, if any at all, between Pureland and Chan, is not as great as many would make it out to be. And so-called "syncretism" is perhaps less of a later (eg. Song dynasty) development, as it is the original situation of Mahayana practice in China as a whole.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

My understanding is that Pure Lands are samsaric realms where the conditions are ideal for studying and practicing the Dharma. Someone born in a Pure Land is pretty much guaranteed of reaching enlightenment in that lifetime. Hence the wish of many people to be reborn there. It is not Nirvana, but it is the next best thing to it.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

Thank you Venerable Hui Feng and Keith!

best wishes, White Lotus. x
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”