YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Finger length 'key to aggression' - Dhamma Wheel

Finger length 'key to aggression'

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Finger length 'key to aggression'

Postby cooran » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:17 am

Finger length is linked to testosterone exposure in the womb

The length of a man's fingers can reveal how physically aggressive he is, Canadian scientists have said.
The shorter the index finger is compared to the ring finger, the more boisterous he will be, University of Alberta researchers said.
But the same was not true for verbal aggression or hostile behaviours, they told the journal Biological Psychology after studying 300 people's fingers.
The trend is thought to be linked to testosterone exposure in the womb.

Hand hints
It has been known for some time that there is a direct correlation between finger lengths and the amount of the male sex hormone testosterone that a baby is exposed to in the womb.
In women, the two fingers are usually almost equal in length, as measured from the crease nearest the palm to the fingertip. In men, the ring finger tends to be much longer than the index.
Other studies looking at finger length ratio have suggested that, in men, a long ring finger and symmetrical hands are an indication of fertility, and that women are more likely to be fertile if they have a longer index finger.

Finger length can tell you a little bit about where personality comes from
Researcher Dr Peter Hurd

One study found boys with shorter ring fingers tended to be at greatest risk of a heart attack in early adulthood, which was linked to testosterone levels.
In the current study, Dr Peter Hurd and his student Allison Bailey measured the fingers of 300 undergraduates at their university.
Men with the shortest index fingers scored higher on measures of physical aggression than those with longer index fingers, but the study's findings did not apply to women.
Dr Hurd is now looking at male hockey players to see whether there is any correlation between finger lengths and each player's penalty record for contact and fouling during matches.

Window to the soul?
He has also been looking at whether men with more feminine finger lengths might be more prone to depression.
He said: "Finger length can tell you a little bit about where personality comes from.
"A large part of our personalities and our traits are determined while we are still in the womb."
But he said finger length should not be used to draw too many conclusions about an individual person.
"For example, you wouldn't want to screen people for certain jobs based on their finger lengths."

I could predict reasonably well who was going to win based on their finger length
Professor John Manning

Professor John Manning from the University of Central Lancashire's department of psychology, who first realised that sex hormone exposure in the womb influences finger length, agreed.
He said certain individual characteristics correlate better with finger length than others.
"For example, if you had a group of runners and they were about to start a race I could predict reasonably well who was going to win based on their finger length.
"But I would not be able to predict whether someone was neurotic or not."

He said Dr Hurd's findings were logical based on what we know about finger length, testosterone exposure and aggression, but said more research was needed to confirm the findings.
He said another recent study had found women exposed to higher levels of testosterone in the womb, and hence a more 'male' pattern of finger length, displayed more frustrated behaviour when answering challenging telephone calls than other women.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4314209.stm
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

PeterB

Re: Finger length 'key to aggression'

Postby PeterB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:25 am

Sorry...not buying it... :lol:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:26 am

Greetings Chris,

Very interesting. Mine are virtually the same length, the ring finger only being marginally longer than the index finger.

I don't feel particularly aggressive or boistrous.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:27 am

i guess i've got girl hands
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

alan

Postby alan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:29 am

I have one big middle finger, and it is pointed right at that study.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:34 am

Well, gawdammit, that explains everything!! Now, bugger off!!

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:40 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

alan

Postby alan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:42 am

Funny!
Now, how about your paws? Are they clipped?
Maybe you only use your jaws? :smile:

edit--that is just me making a joke with good old tilt.

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:45 am

Hello all,

Now ~ I don't want to frighten all of you cranky males .... but .... when Prof. Manning was just a lowly Dr. Manning (9 years ago) he found that:

Finger length heart attack clue
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1613066.stm

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:52 am

That particular research has been pretty much debunked Chris.
Or rather to use the pukka parlance " Other researchers have been unable to replicate the findings"

As it happens my index finger is shorter than my ring finger, and I am EXTREMELY aggressive.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:54 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:57 am

What about if like me you are in second childhood ?

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:08 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:43 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 am

That particular theory was subject to vigorous testing Kim, because it caused a lot of attention at the time, and as i say the team who trialed it ( from London University Hospital as I recall ) were unable to replicate the original findings. Which as you know is science speak for " myth busted"...

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Okay, Peter, I'll take your word for it.
:smile:
Kim

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 am

Oh I wouldnt do that...

Return to “Lounge”