YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Loss of libibdo - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Loss of libibdo

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
chownah

Re: Loss of libibdo

Postby chownah » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:08 pm

I'm glad to hear the input but a bit dismayed that there has been no reference to Buddha's teachings at all....just alot of views with no scriptural backing of any kind.

A common theme presented here is that since the desire for sex disappeared without any efforts by the sex worker then it is not a good thing because only losing desires by our own efforts is productive for the path.....does anyone have any reference to any of the Buddha's teachings that supports this view?...anything at all?

Also, if a sex worker losing their sexual desire is a bad thing then should a sex worker who has lost their libido take steps to regain sexual desire?.....should they perhaps go to a counselor who can help them do this?....there are counselors who specialize in sexual disfunction and often they suggest that a person should touch themselves in pleasant ways while being mindful of anything that might lead to sexual arousal....in effect they suggest that the person work their way up to masturbation to rekindle their sexual desire....is this what an ex-sex worker should do?....take steps to re-ignite sexual desire?

chownah

Fede

Postby Fede » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Last edited by Fede on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:39 pm

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

chownah

Postby chownah » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:13 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Could it be wisdom?

Sex workers have a practical knowledge on the subject of sexual desire and sensual pleasures, based both on their experience and that on others. They also have an advantage to many others, they can talk about it openly with other sex workers or open minded friends.

Probably in many occasions unwholesomeness prevents insight from arising. But a sex worker having an intercourse with a client that is single, in which there is mutual respect, might be less negative than an abusive intercourse between a married couple.

Sex workers or not, what really matters is the content of the mind. Isn't it possible that the lack of interest in sex is simply because they realised it leads nowhere? That in itself it is a mechanical thing that gives you pleasure but does not make you feel any good?
With Metta

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm

they probably haven't gotten over desire, they just don't want sex. there's a difference. i don't want a cupcake right now yet i haven't extinguished desire, not feeling to ready for sex either, yet again i'm not arahant... not wanting something cause you're burnt out on it is different from the wisdom to see that it doesn't lead to happiness.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:04 am

With Metta

cooran

Postby cooran » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:28 am

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:37 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:44 pm

With Metta

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:27 pm

I was thinking I should start with an apology to all ( and especially Fede and Jcsuperstar) for my two post mini tantrum.....correct speach is not yet perfected (hahahhaha).......but then I get a string of the best posts so far and wonder if this will encourage me to vent....I'll resist the temptation I hope.

I like the idea that one should not be attached to either the desire or the absence of desire...but rather to just be mindful of the way things are.......in this light the loss of libido is neither good nor bad....its is just what is happening....this would be the same regardless of whatever caused the loss of libido be it stress, age, profession or whatever.
chownah

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:00 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:23 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

chownah

Postby chownah » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:47 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Kusala and akusala are mental formations. Sexuality does not have to be characterised by Lobha Dosa and Moha.
It can also be characterised by Alobha Adosa and Amoha. Its an inconvenient truth, because it calls for a skill based view rather than an aversive moral view. Its easier, or at least simpler to eschew rather than to be generous ( Alobha ).
Its not what you do its the way that you do it. That's what gets results.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Return to “Lounge”