YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buddhism in Art - Dhamma Wheel

Buddhism in Art

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Thaibebop

Buddhism in Art

Postby Thaibebop » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Hello,
I have always loved art. I have always paid attention to how art effects society and vice verse. So, I have looked at a lot of Buddhist art. I don't just mean paintings and sculptures, but books movies and such. Buddhist art is just now really making it to the west in other forms besides statues. I am wondering what has been some of the best (or worst if you'd rather) Buddhist art you have witnessed? Was it effective in communicating the themes in Buddhism? How was Buddhism addressed, was in the point to the whole work of art or just a side note?

Cheers!

Almaril

Re: Buddhism in Art

Postby Almaril » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:12 pm

A buddhist movie I have seen is [html=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374546/]Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... ans Spring again[/html] from a south korean movie director, Kim-ki duk. It has been quite a while ago back when I knew even less from Buddhism. I quite liked the movie, especially a song in the end (spoiler?)

Briefly the story shows a buddhist novice monk and his personal, spiritual development through the years, I wouldn't say it's the best movie I have ever seen, but it's definetly worth watching. I think it's a bit shallow, but I guess some important parts of the basic idea is communicated well.

There has been somewhere - maybe not on this forum - a buddhist tattoo thread, now there are some damn impressive artworks.

For buddhist music all I have found is [html=http://www.last.fm/music/Gesztelyi+Nagy+Judit]Judit Gesztelyi Nagy[/html]'s album "songs of awakening", zen flute, a pretty sweet album. If anyone's interested I can upload it somewhere.

Have you got any recommendations?

zavk

Postby zavk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:28 am

Because of the way Buddhism developed in Eastern cultures as Chan/Zen and because of the way Chan/Zen was adapted in the 20th century by various artistic movements (especially the Beat Generation), the 'artistic' aspects of Buddhism have tended to be expressed through the language of Chan/Zen. There are many Zen-inspired books and films--you can easily find them on Google.

But what I find interesting about the notion of 'Buddhism in Art' is that any piece of art (film, song, book, etc) need not explicitly deal with Buddhism for it to be Dhammic. The notion of 'art' necessarily involves the process of interpretation. By interpreting any piece of art through Dhammic lenses, we can identify Buddhism in it regardless of whether it deals with 'Buddhism' or not.

David Loy, for instance, has interpreted Lord of the Rings, Miyazaki's anime, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, and Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea stories through Dhammic lenses in . I really enjoyed the book. Although it takes a Zen perspective, there are various ideas about non-violence and selflessness in the book which are shared by all Buddhist traditions. Well worth a read!

For something more specifically Theravadin, the work of the Thai contemporary artist Montien Boonma is explicitly Buddhist--he was particularly inspired by the teachings of Bhikkhu Buddhadasa and Ajahn Chah. I've posted a thread about him before... hang on...... here it is: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2271
With metta,
zavk

salmon

Postby salmon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:07 am

by Sinhalese writer/director Prasanna Jayakody is a very nicely done short art film about a young buddhist monk's struggles with worldly desires.

:popcorn:
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:32 am

Excellent topic! Here's a youtube video i put together last week, incorporating a bit of Buddhist imagery to accompany the music, lyrics and images of Nature. I think there's a lot of ways this can be done creatively...

Eyes of the World

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
but the heart has its beaches its homeland and thoughts of its own.

Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
but the heart has its seasons its evenings and songs of its own."

:heart:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

Thaibebop

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:08 am

Thanks for sharing. I feel like there are not a whole lot of art, pictured, written or otherwise, that focuses on Buddhist teachings, or ideas. I find that strange for Buddhism as there is so much art in Buddhism, but only in religious context, in other words, hardly ever outside the temples. This is so strange to me!!

Almaril

Postby Almaril » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Return to “Lounge”