YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Duck Help! - Dhamma Wheel

Duck Help!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
OcTavO

Duck Help!

Postby OcTavO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:08 am

Need your help and human ingenuity! This evening we discovered eight newly hatched ducklings that have fallen through an old storm grate behind our house. They are trapped about 2 feet down.

First thing I did was get some mushed up watermelon and water down to them, which they ate ferociously... I think they've been down there maybe a day or more.

I tried getting the grate off with a tire iron. There's no way I can budge it. A crowbar wouldn't work either... the seal is so tight you couldn't even get a playing card down there.

We called the Wisconsin humane society animal rescue but they are closed until morning. We called the police non emergency and a squad came out but were as powerless to get the grate off as we were. They called the fire department who came out, took one look and said "nope not our job" and left again. Then they called the DPW who also said they would not come out for such a thing (even though they're probably the only ones who can get the grate off). In the end, the cop said "we're just gonna have to be resigned to let them die down there." and they too left.

My wife and I tried for another hour to actually pick them out through the grate. We manufactured a scoop on a long pole and tried that. We even tried getting them out with duck tape sticky pads. We can successfully lift them all the way to the top and actually touch them but we can't get them through the gaps in the grate without hurting (most likely killing) them.

It's past 2am now and we're defeated. We're going to bed in the hopes that animal rescue will call us in the morning and might be able to help. But before I did I wanted to ask anyone here... does anyone have any other ideas how we might get them out of there??? :weep:

Kim OHara

Re: Duck Help!

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:39 am

The good news: if they have been there for a day and are still alive, they should be OK for a while longer - especially since you have managed to feed them.
The not-so-good news: I think you will have to wait for people with the proper equipment to remove the grate.
You might be able to remove one bar with bolt-cutters but you would probably have to pay for a new grate if you succeeded. You might be able to run a tow-rope over a saw-horse (or similar) and pull the grate up with your car that way, but there's a risk of injury to your car, yourselves or bystanders - I do not recommend it.
Good luck!
Kim

OcTavO

Postby OcTavO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Persistence won out! This morning we recontacted the humane society and they recontacted the DPW and finally convinced someone to come out and get the grate open. A couple of the ducklings were already dead, but the rest have been taken to an animal hospital for rehabilitation and will be released back into the wild... hopefully not near any storm drains. :woohoo:

withoutcolour

Postby withoutcolour » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 pm

:woohoo: :woohoo:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Well done, Octavo and family!!! Thank you.

What sort were the little fellas?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Return to “Lounge”