YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge - Page 9 - Dhamma Wheel

The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Sekha

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Postby Sekha » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:27 am

Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 pm

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:37 pm

I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

Moggalana

Postby Moggalana » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Greetings Eric,

have you thought about using a meditation bench? Switching from cross legged to sitting with the support of a bench has been really beneficial for my practice. The knees needed some time adjusting to it, but there are no numb legs anymore and sitting for longer than 20-30 minutes has become a lot easier.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:48 pm

Sobeh

Postby Sobeh » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Please note if you have knee pain, however, as that means your posture is incorrect and you may be doing damage. Probably the best preparation for sitting is to do some stretching, perhaps yoga, that will open up your hips and loosen those muscles.

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:10 pm

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 am

My challenge is going very well so far. I have solved the numbness issue by practicing in half-lotus position. I think of this as the middle way. I think I have really gotten a grip on my breath, in terms of being able to stay with it without taking long forays into lala land. I have been sitting for forty minutes each session. Today, I sat three times (two forty-one minute sittings and one forty-five minute sitting). During the forty-five minute sitting, I experienced this vague tingling sensation on my forehead. The sensation would arise and persist, and then kind of fade and come back. I tried to be aware of it (while being aware of my breath simultaneously). Probably a mistake on my part. I can still kind of feel where the sensation was at, as I sit here. Also, I had this strange feeling (I can't even really describe it) in the spot where my chest connects to my neck, between my collar bones. Maybe my body is just freaking out from sitting?

I am having one issue. During my meditation sessions, my breath starts to become shorter and quicker. I try to allow it to be that way, but I start feeling as if I need to take a deeper breath and it spontaneously happens. Problem?
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:29 am

Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:30 am

Some updates (I find it helpful to post my experiences for feedback):

I've decided to abandon half-lotus position in favor of full-lotus or Burmese. Half-lotus seems very unstable to me (my unsupported leg often starts to shake), since there are only two points of contact with my sitting surface (one knee and the pelvis). I think moving to a three-contact position will help straighten my spine some, without requiring me to exert effort to maintain the spine. I am still having some issues with the numbness. Today, I was perusing the Internet Buddhist community for answers, and I found one on ZFI. Apparently, the numbness is caused by pressure being placed on the aciatic nerve, which is located in the hip along the curve of the butt. On ZFI, a user on the post I read mentioned that this issue can be helped by stretching before meditation, elevating the butt a few inches (all ready do this), and by positioning the legs and then moving the seat under the butt as opposed to sitting and then positioning the legs. In the mean time, I will try to maintain focus on the breath.

I also read today that anapanasati should not become too focused on the nose because such a fixation can cause us to ignore the part of anapanasati which calls for "breathing sensitive to the entire body." I think I can confirm this from personal experience. I have tried a couple of different points of focus. I find that whenever I center my focus on the space in between my eyes (I think of this as literally setting my mindfulness "to the fore"), my concentration often improves and I find it easier to relax my body.

Any advice concerning posture? Meditation practice is truly turning out to be an experiment, as everyone says. :meditate:

In Dhamma,
Eric

- Snp. 1.3

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:51 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:40 am

As Ben rightly points out, there are different ways of approaching breath meditation, depending on what you are trying to do with it. See, for example, the discussion here: . Not that any of the different ways is "wrong", but if you start trying to mix up different approaches it can be extremely confusing. My advice is to pick the instructions of one teacher (a real life one, or one who has a good book and/or web site and/or recordings) and stick to those instruction for a few months.

Mike

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:16 pm

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:14 pm

- Snp. 1.3

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:03 pm

- Snp. 1.3

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:11 pm

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:02 pm

thereductor,

http://vimuttidhamma.org/samatha-meditation

I generally try to keep the method described in this article in mind. Particularly, the part subtitled "On the Respiration Base." I usually start out with a few deep breaths and a body scan, and then move on to direct observation of the breath at the point described in that article, without any attempt to control my breath after that. I can usually feel the breath's effects on the rest of my body, but I don't make any attempt to direct the flow of the breath as in the method you posted.

- Snp. 1.3

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:06 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:02 am

Reductor