Entrance exam (joke)

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
DNS
Site Admin

Entrance exam (joke)

Post by DNS »

Entrance Exam

A Christian, a Muslim and a Buddhist die and arrive at the Gate of Heaven. An angel (or deva) stops them and asks, “Why do you come here? Can you tell me the reasons why you are allowed to enter Heaven?”

The Christian replies, “My ancestors disobeyed God, and I sinned all my life: I killed, I lied, I cheated my wife and I was greedy. However, Jesus died for me and all my sins are forgiven. So I deserve to enter Heaven.”

“OK,” replies the Angel. “Sounds good, but I must give you an entrance examination before you can enter.” The Christian promptly agrees and the Angel asks him: “How do you spell God?” It is an easy question, and the Christian passes through the Gate.

Next came the Muslim, who says, “I did not do any especially good or evil things during my life but I was very devout. I prayed to God five times a day. So, I too should enter Heaven.” The Angel replies, “It sounds OK to me, but I have to give you a test also. How do you spell Allah?” The Muslim passes the test and enters Heaven.

Finally, it is the Buddhist’s turn. He tells the Angel, “I’ve done all the good things in my life and I followed Buddha’s five precepts: I never killed, I donated to charities, I meditated every day, and I never cheated my boss nor my customers.” The Angel replies, “That is very good, but there are no exceptions. You must pass the entrance test also in order to get in.” Thinking that the test should be simple, the Buddhist happily agrees.

The Angel then asks him: “How do you spell Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva?”

from: http://www.dharmathecatcartoons.com/15blog/?page_id=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sraddha

Re: Entrance exam (joke)

Post by sraddha »

TheDhamma wrote:Entrance Exam

A Christian, a Muslim and a Buddhist die and arrive at the Gate of Heaven. An angel (or deva) stops them and asks, “Why do you come here? Can you tell me the reasons why you are allowed to enter Heaven?”

The Christian replies, “My ancestors disobeyed God, and I sinned all my life: I killed, I lied, I cheated my wife and I was greedy. However, Jesus died for me and all my sins are forgiven. So I deserve to enter Heaven.”

“OK,” replies the Angel. “Sounds good, but I must give you an entrance examination before you can enter.” The Christian promptly agrees and the Angel asks him: “How do you spell God?” It is an easy question, and the Christian passes through the Gate.

Next came the Muslim, who says, “I did not do any especially good or evil things during my life but I was very devout. I prayed to God five times a day. So, I too should enter Heaven.” The Angel replies, “It sounds OK to me, but I have to give you a test also. How do you spell Allah?” The Muslim passes the test and enters Heaven.

Finally, it is the Buddhist’s turn. He tells the Angel, “I’ve done all the good things in my life and I followed Buddha’s five precepts: I never killed, I donated to charities, I meditated every day, and I never cheated my boss nor my customers.” The Angel replies, “That is very good, but there are no exceptions. You must pass the entrance test also in order to get in.” Thinking that the test should be simple, the Buddhist happily agrees.

The Angel then asks him: “How do you spell Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva?”

from: http://www.dharmathecatcartoons.com/15blog/?page_id=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:rolling:
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

:rolling:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hehe. You could write a variation of this joke involving holy texts. The Christian has to spell "Bible," the Muslim has to spell "Koran," but the Buddhist has to spell "Mūlamadhyamakakārikā." :shock:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Luke wrote:Hehe. You could write a variation of this joke involving holy texts. The Christian has to spell "Bible," the Muslim has to spell "Koran," but the Buddhist has to spell "Mūlamadhyamakakārikā." :shock:
It's a good thing you're not Muslim. You misspelled "Qur'an." :tongue:
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

TheDhamma wrote:
Luke wrote:Hehe. You could write a variation of this joke involving holy texts. The Christian has to spell "Bible," the Muslim has to spell "Koran," but the Buddhist has to spell "Mūlamadhyamakakārikā." :shock:
It's a good thing you're not Muslim. You misspelled "Qur'an." :tongue:
There goes the camels and harem.... :rolleye:
Nirveda

Post by Nirveda »

But, this is a Zen angel. The correct answer is "Mu!"
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

David N. Snyder wrote: The Angel then asks him: “How do you spell Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva?”
:heart:

L - O - V - E

:heart:
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I'm gonna use this one sometime. :rolling:
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

Laughter, the best medicine
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Hopefully there is good satellite signal so I can google it on my cell phone.

If only there was a monosyllabic path.

Return to “Dharma Stories”