Becoming a Buddhist

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
msrellum

Becoming a Buddhist

Post by msrellum »

What is essential to becoming a Buddhist?
alwayson

Re: Becoming a Buddhist

Post by alwayson »

Understand that to say an object is "empty" is synonymous with saying that thing is dependently originated. Furthermore that bundles of causes and conditions are designated by mere conceptual labels, which of course also applies to the causes and conditions themselves and even the principle of causality itself since everything is dependently originated (i.e. empty).
Paul

Post by Paul »

When we wish to become Buddhists formally, the first step is to go to the Triple Gem- the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha for refuge. It is an expression of one’s faith and determination in walking the Buddha’s path. Since the time of the Buddha, taking this Threefold Refuge has identified a person as a Buddhist.
http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/bd101/bd101_04.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I think Paul has it right. You can leave emptiness doctrines for later, maybe quite a bit later. It's certainly not something that is normally presented to beginners. After refuge, the next thing to do is get an overview of Buddhist ethics. The Dalai Lama is a good source for this. He has also published works on establishing a practice.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/What_Makes_ ... /14674.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Essential...compassion. Otherwise it all, all of it, be wasted.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

ronnewmexico wrote:Essential...compassion. Otherwise it all, all of it, be wasted.
^ This. Well, in the general case.

If you mean more literally "becoming a buddhist" then that would be what we call "taking refuge."
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

msrellum wrote:What is essential to becoming a Buddhist?
An understanding of the 4 Noble Truths and faith in the Triple Gem.
This is the minimum requirement.
Vipassualty

Post by Vipassualty »

What is essential to becoming a Buddhist?
Meditation supported by an understanding of the Noble Eightfold Path are likely the minimum auspicious requirements. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beatzen

Post by Beatzen »

in my lineage there is a ceremony, or rite of passage, called jukai - the practitioner takes on 16 precepts.

but that's not essential, i suppose. I think that learning to relate to yourself intelligently and with sensitivity is essential. as jiddu krishnamurti, who was actually quite critical of buddhism, used to say: "life is relationship."
Last edited by Beatzen on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cause is not before and Effect is not after"
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
plwk

Post by plwk »

For starters, this and then this...
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

I would like to take refuge in the Triple gem though I do not think I can abstain from sex. My partner is supportive in the commitment to better myself for myself and others around me through the middle way. Though we already are in this relationship and sex is a part of it. Am I misunderstanding the fifth precept conditions? The third of the five precepts... do they mean sexual misconduct or sex in general? I know married buddhist couples must be having sex but she and I do not plan to be married but want to be with one another for a very long time. Is this still breaking the third precept of the five?
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
Acchantika

Post by Acchantika »

Distorted wrote:I would like to take refuge in the Triple gem though I do not think I can abstain from sex. My partner is supportive in the commitment to better myself for myself and others around me through the middle way. Though we already are in this relationship and sex is a part of it. Am I misunderstanding the fifth precept conditions? The third of the five precepts... do they mean sexual misconduct or sex in general? I know married buddhist couples must be having sex but she and I do not plan to be married but want to be with one another for a very long time. Is this still breaking the third precept of the five?
No, you are not breaking the third precept. For a lay person it means:
  • Abandoning misconduct in sexual desires, he becomes one who abstains from misconduct in sexual desires: he does not have intercourse with such women as are protected by mother, father, (father and mother), brother, sister, relatives, as have a husband, as entail a penalty, and also those that are garlanded in token of betrothal.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In other words, as long as it is not illegal, she isn't married/engaged to someone else, you both consent and no other consent is required, no worries.
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Acchantika wrote:
Distorted wrote:I would like to take refuge in the Triple gem though I do not think I can abstain from sex. My partner is supportive in the commitment to better myself for myself and others around me through the middle way. Though we already are in this relationship and sex is a part of it. Am I misunderstanding the fifth precept conditions? The third of the five precepts... do they mean sexual misconduct or sex in general? I know married buddhist couples must be having sex but she and I do not plan to be married but want to be with one another for a very long time. Is this still breaking the third precept of the five?
No, you are not breaking the third precept. For a lay person it means:
  • Abandoning misconduct in sexual desires, he becomes one who abstains from misconduct in sexual desires: he does not have intercourse with such women as are protected by mother, father, (father and mother), brother, sister, relatives, as have a husband, as entail a penalty, and also those that are garlanded in token of betrothal.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In other words, as long as it is not illegal, she isn't married/engaged to someone else, you both consent and no other consent is required, no worries.

Thank you :)
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

The third vow does change to chastity when taking the Eight Precepts during Uposatha or retreat. The reason being that you should be practicing Buddhism, not became sex is sinful or dirty or anything like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uposatha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Konchog1 wrote:The third vow does change to chastity when taking the Eight Precepts during Uposatha or retreat. The reason being that you should be practicing Buddhism, not became sex is sinful or dirty or anything like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uposatha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you guys for the clarification.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

msrellum wrote:What is essential to becoming a Buddhist?
Going to the three jewels - the Buddha, the Dharma and the Samgha - for refuge.
Many consider at least trying to uphold the five precepts as also part of the bare essentials.

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Doesn't sound even close to breaking the third precept. :smile:

~~ Huifeng
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Huifeng wrote:

~~ Huifeng

Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Distorted wrote:
Huifeng wrote:

~~ Huifeng

Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:
I endorse that. As I understand it, the precept is there to avoid harm to others. There is no 'sin' attached to unmarried sex to worry about in Buddhism.
Left

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”