'Buddha's skull' found in Nanjing?

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

'Buddha's skull' found in Nanjing?

Postby Mr. G » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:29 pm

'Buddha's skull' found in Nanjing

Chinese archaeologists have claimed that a 1,000-year-old miniature pagoda, unearthed in Nanjing, holds a piece of skull belonging to Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism.

The pagoda was wedged tightly inside an iron case that was discovered at the site of a former temple in the city in August.

The four-storey pagoda, which is almost four feet high and one-and-a-half feet wide, is thought by archaeologists to be one of the 84,000 pagodas commissioned by Ashoka the Great in the second century BC to house the remains of the Buddha.

Ashoka, one of India's greatest emperors, converted to Buddhism after waging a bloody war in the eastern state of Orissa. He is widely credited with spreading Buddhism throughout Asia, and across his kingdom, which stretched from Pakistan through Afghanistan and into Iran.

Read More Here...
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Re: 'Buddha's skull' found in Nanjing?

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:31 pm

And, since they've already started to clone mammoths . . .
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Postby Thug4lyfe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Don't go there, if it's the real Buddha Shirari, then your insulting the physical Buddha!
Thug4lyfe

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Food_Eatah wrote:Don't go there, if it's the real Buddha Shirari, then your insulting the physical Buddha!

By suggesting that some scientists could clone Him? Well, I don't recall speculation about cloning being on any Buddhist thou-rather-should-not list :toilet:
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:05 pm

I'm not being flippant, but having seen my fair share of holy gallstones, bladderstones and bits of robes I'm still left bemused by the veneration of relics as if somehow a Buddha left something useful behind in them.

I anticipate that at some point the Chinese sellers on eBay will be selling similar bits of the bodies of holy beings which are every bit as authentic as their ancient amulets, kapalas and malas made from the skulls of revered lamas. :(
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 am

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Food_Eatah wrote:Don't go there, if it's the real Buddha Shirari, then your insulting the physical Buddha!

By suggesting that some scientists could clone Him? Well, I don't recall speculation about cloning being on any Buddhist thou-rather-should-not list :toilet:

Slandering the Dharma is the quickest way to fall into Hell. Hence I am very careful about claiming anything is a hoax. Speaking of Buddha's relics, you should go and pay homage to the Buddha's tooth relic in Taiwan!

It's been certified by many high Tibetan Lamas.
Thug4lyfe

Return to News & Current Events