Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Pero

Re: Is receiving transmission via webcast a farce?

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote:I also have the teachings on Lojongs, Semdzins, etc. so I'll look at that after a while, too. I also have the booklets on the Purification of Six Lokas and Four Chogshag Trekchod, so maybe—just maybe— I will try to really focus on a Dzogchen practice here and take it slowly. Since ChNN emphasized guru yoga and Song of the Vajra so much, that is really what I focused on. This other stuff seemed like either training wheels for the main practice OR accents on the main practice... and I just figured if I stick to the main practice, how can I go wrong?
BTW, Song of the Vajra is a great Semdzin.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Re: Is receiving transmission via webcast a farce?

Post by padma norbu »

Pero wrote:
padma norbu wrote:I also have the teachings on Lojongs, Semdzins, etc. so I'll look at that after a while, too. I also have the booklets on the Purification of Six Lokas and Four Chogshag Trekchod, so maybe—just maybe— I will try to really focus on a Dzogchen practice here and take it slowly. Since ChNN emphasized guru yoga and Song of the Vajra so much, that is really what I focused on. This other stuff seemed like either training wheels for the main practice OR accents on the main practice... and I just figured if I stick to the main practice, how can I go wrong?
BTW, Song of the Vajra is a great Semdzin.

Yeah, yeah... ;) ...I am referring to the ones that are nothing like that. I would describe them, but I can't. After my post, though, I did think of SoV and realized that's one of my favorite practices.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
mint

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by mint »

What is the difference between these two books, aside from price?

http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Day-Night-P ... 981&sr=1-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krodha

Post by krodha »

mint wrote:What is the difference between these two books, aside from price?

http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Day-Night-P ... 981&sr=1-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They very well might be exactly the same... i have the one from the amazon link, and that's actually an older version of it. That book has been rereleased with a newer cover since then and some updates to the text i believe. That version in the shang shung store might just be the most recent press of it. Educated guess on my part but it is speculative since i don't have the version in the shang shung link.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi mint. Out of these two, the second is the one you want. The first has the root text and compares it paragraph by paragraph to an older terma - this is interesting of course, but the second has more useful information.

I would actually buy this instead: http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... etail&p=87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Sunday 4th december 2011 at 12:00 pm [gmt+0]
there will be Ganapuja from meriling (tenerife) with Rinpoche

Check your local time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bye,
The Webcast Team

------------------------
[email protected]
[email protected]
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Paul,
I have had the second one for many years and love the commentary and was wondering how different is the commentary in the second one from the third one?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Paul wrote:

Hi mint. Out of these two, the second is the one you want. The first has the root text and compares it paragraph by paragraph to an older terma - this is interesting of course, but the second has more useful information.

I would actually buy this instead: http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... etail&p=87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The text is not a terma -- the text is a tantra found in the Vairo gyud bum that ChNN discovered years later after writing CDN.
florin

Post by florin »

What is one allowed to practice if one has only taken part in world wide transmission of Adzom Drukpa?
Does she or he have the permission to practice the most essential G.Y(with white A, S.o.V and dedication)?

Or on top of the transmission one has to receive a separate trasnmission for S.o.V as he ussually gives at the end of the webcasts?

The transmission is very similar to tun but can one practice it as a a tun or does one need a tun transmission?a
I am a bit confused because although the WWT are very similar to tun rinpoche also gives separate transmissions for some of the elements contained in WWT.
So does WWT not constitute a transmission in one sitting of all those elements ?

Thank you
Pero

Post by Pero »

alpha wrote:What is one allowed to practice if one has only taken part in world wide transmission of Adzom Drukpa?
Does she or he have the permission to practice the most essential G.Y(with white A, S.o.V and dedication)?
Yes you can do that. I think you could also do like medium tun till and including the GY of Padmasambhava in the form of Nangsid Zilnon.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Here's a thought: wouldn't it be nice if Shang Shung put together a beginners package of books, CD's, and DVD's that one could purchase after one has had Transmission?
Perhaps have them talk to Rinpoche and see what he recommends? I think that would clear up so much confusion for people who have read Crystal and the Way of Light or one of Rinpoches commercial books, watched a webcast, want to start on this path, and don't know how to proceed. For example:

The Precious Vase book
Song of Vajra book
Tun and Ganapuja practice book
The Mirror: Advice on the Presence of Awareness book
Tundus, Tundrin, Tungyas DVD
Guru Yoga book
The Cycle of Day and Night book

Put all of that, or something similar according to Rinpoches idea, together in a package. Any thoughts?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
mint

Post by mint »

Fa Dao wrote:
The Precious Vase book
Song of Vajra book
Guru Yoga book

Put all of that, or something similar according to Rinpoches idea, together in a package. Any thoughts?
That's pretty much what I purchased this time around - except the Tun/Ganapuja couldn't be added to the cart. Out of stock, I guess. So, I got the commentary on the short tun instead.
florin

Post by florin »

Pero wrote:
alpha wrote:What is one allowed to practice if one has only taken part in world wide transmission of Adzom Drukpa?
Yes you can do that. I think you could also do like medium tun till and including the GY of Padmasambhava in the form of Nangsid Zilnon.

Thank you..

I am asking this on behalf of my wife as she has only received WWT but nothing else and at the end she asked me all these question...She never took part in any other webcast.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Fa Dao wrote:Paul,
I have had the second one for many years and love the commentary and was wondering how different is the commentary in the second one from the third one?
The third seems to be a bit longer (hard to tell because of the difference in font size), and I think the commentary is more colloquial than the second. This form of colloquial explanation is one of the things I like best about Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's form of teaching.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
florin

Post by florin »

Fa Dao wrote:Here's a thought: wouldn't it be nice if Shang Shung put together a beginners package of books, CD's, and DVD's that one could purchase after one has had Transmission?
Perhaps have them talk to Rinpoche and see what he recommends? I think that would clear up so much confusion for people who have read Crystal and the Way of Light or one of Rinpoches commercial books, watched a webcast, want to start on this path, and don't know how to proceed. For example:

The Precious Vase book
Song of Vajra book
Guru Yoga book

And i think rinpoche would probably say that you are a dzogchen practitioner and you shouldnt have any limitations and try to practice according to your own feeling and personal circumstances and not according to some rules and external structures .
In one of his wecasts he said that if today you dont want to practice you would probably better not to because you cant as a dzogchen practitioner follow beliefsand ideas of "must" and "should".He also said somewhere else that the only principle to follow in dzogchen is that of awareness...there is no other rule to follow...
Pero

Post by Pero »

alpha wrote: I am asking this on behalf of my wife as she has only received WWT but nothing else and at the end she asked me all these question...She never took part in any other webcast.
Cool. :)
- Shabkar
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Paul...thanks for the reply

Alpha...I wasnt suggesting rules/limitations. Just giving people a base of information on Dzogchen so they could have a little knowledge on how to go about following this Path. I believe that it is through doing some of the foundational practices that one is able to see more clearly just what ones limitations are and thereby deal with them. That has been my limited experience thus far.
krodha

Post by krodha »

Fa Dao wrote:Paul...thanks for the reply

Alpha...I wasnt suggesting rules/limitations. Just giving people a base of information on Dzogchen so they could have a little knowledge on how to go about following this Path. I believe that it is through doing some of the foundational practices that one is able to see more clearly just what ones limitations are and thereby deal with them. That has been my limited experience thus far.
All depends on the person and how intensely they identify with habitual patterns. It's only conditioning that creates the appearance of a path... information in those books which might serve to remove obstacles for one person, could be the very same info which misleads another. And practices which help one person can become a trap for another if they fixate on the practice... there's a very thin line to walk with reading texts and practicing.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

And if one is new to this how is one supposed to know what to practice without at least some guidance? If a person is clueless as to what the difference is between rigpa and simple mindfulness they could go for years thinking they are practicing Dzogchen. That is but one example. Although I am still relatively new to this it has been immensely helpful to have Rinpoches teachings in book form to help guide and inform my practice as well as helping to keep me from straying too far. There are certain points that Rinpoche makes repeatedly in all of his books I have read so far that have done just that.
florin

Post by florin »

When it comes to doing the SMS the explanation of various practices contained in Precious Vase one has to do is very sparse and incomplete.

Ex. In the investigation on" How one is beguiled by Diverse secondary causes" there is only one paragraph of 6 or 7 lines .That's it...There is no more of how you should investigate and how you formulate in your head this investigation....
Or another example is Kumbaka....I honestly do not understand how you do it...

And these practices are among many others who seem vague and incomplete.

So the question is how one studies the P.V for the SMS when the information given is incomplete...?

Yeeeah.....How do you practice Kumbaka from a book :thinking: ??????

Return to “Dzogchen”