YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

the matrix edited for buddhism, just for fun - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

the matrix edited for buddhism, just for fun

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Kim OHara

Re: the matrix edited for buddhism, just for fun

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:25 pm

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:22 am

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:38 am

Hmmm, whilst some Buddhist ideas are clearly present in The Matrix Trilogy, I thinks it's pushing it to try to 'equate' Neo with the historical Buddha or the Architect with Mara etc. It's not a retelling of the Canon, rather an exploration of the nature of reality. It gives no answers.

I should also point out that saying the Wachowski Brothers 'scrambled to make two more films' doesn't sound right. There are plenty of devices in the first film that are only clarified in the other two. When Neo first meets Agent Smith, for example, he is shown in a small interrogation room on an array of monitors: the Architect's monitors.

Just for fun, remember Morpheus's last words? After the sentinels stand down he asks 'is this real?'. No, Morpheus, it's no more real than the Matrix itself :)

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:45 am

Last edited by dhammastudier on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:52 am

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 am

Last edited by dhammastudier on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alan

Postby alan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:23 am

I'm with Kim. It's a Hollywood production designed to entertain. Read "Deep Thoughts" into it if that pleases you.
Or you could spend your time reading actual teachings. Wouldn't that be a better choice?

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:26 am

I don't think this thread requires defending. As it's been said, The Matrix is just a film (albeit an amazing one). It explores theories about the nature of reality but offers no answers. It offers no process to liberation, no definition of what liberation is. It offers no path of practice, no moral advice for cultivation of wholesome kamma (and even uses the word karma in a brahmanist way, not a Buddhist way). It is a sci-fi film drawing on ideas found in ancient religions (so is the lawnmower man, so The Matrix isn't unique)

If the point of this thread is to equate Buddhism to The Matrix, I'm out. I won't even attempt to do that, it would be slandering the Buddhadhamma.

I also completely disagree with your idea that people are out of control. You are describing linear causality, not this/that conditionality.

Just sit for a bit and think about this before responding. Maybe reflect on the difference between linear causality and this/that conditionality (see page 40 in the Wings to Awakening, if you have it. If not, I think it's available online as a free ebook but I don't know where).

Again, the problem is choice.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 am

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Last edited by dhammastudier on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Last edited by dhammastudier on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Relax Zac, no-one is 'having a go' :) it might be best not to try to guess what peoples' intentions are here and instead try to just take on board what's said :)

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:56 pm

the matrix is just a movie. buddhism is my LIFE. i changed a list of movie quotes, that i came across accidentally when looking for a signature quote, on this forum (JUST FOR FUN) to sound buddhist because ten years ago i read an article about that and i remembered it in passing and it and it struck me as something users of this forum would find amusing.

what's so complicated about that that it somehow made a few people think they needed to tell me i was involved in some kind of blasphemous debate about a movie being dharma???

the title of the post and the only other thing i wrote on it, other than changing a few words in the original script, make it quite clear i'm NOT serious about any of this:

the matrix edited for buddhism, just for fun and it's FUNNY how many i didn't even have to change.

I PUT THE "JUST FOR FUN" IN THE TITLE OF THE POST AS AN AFTER THOUGHT, BECAUSE I REALIZED THAT PEOPLE WHO TAKE THINGS TOO SERIOUSLY MIGHT SEE THE POST AND HASSLE ME ABOUT THINKING BUDDHISM HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH A VIOLENT LATE NINETIES FILM. WHAT I FAILED TO REALIZE IS THAT PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO HASSLE OTHERS OVER PETTY, POINTLESS THINGS ON THE INTERNET COULD OVER LOOK THIS.

and in case this sounds a little harsh let me re-hash what was said to me:

"If the point of this thread is to equate Buddhism to The Matrix, I'm out. I won't even attempt to do that, it would be slandering the Buddhadhamma."
and
"read "deep thoughts" into it if that pleases you. or you could spend your time reading actual teachings. wouldn't that be a better choice?"
and
"...you're trying to hard to make things fit your buddhist narrative... enjoy it as entertainment, anything beyond that is your own fabrication."

obviously people think i'm not only completely serious about this whole matrix buddhism thing but they even think it's SLANDER! hilarious. i give up on this discussion as i'm clearly being misheard.
Last edited by dhammastudier on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm not sure what more advice you can be given, Zac :) we're all friends here.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:51 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Return to “Lounge”