Diamond Sutra in latin

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Aemilius

Diamond Sutra in latin

Post by Aemilius »

Please enjoy:
Diamond Sutra in latin http://www.pitaka.ch/orsafulguralia.pdf

Here we have Heart Sutra in a latin translationhttp://www.pitaka.ch/orsacordis.pdf
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Diamond Sutra in latin

Post by Astus »

Very nice. :popcorn:
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Dharma Atma

Post by Dharma Atma »

Someone, explain what's use of it please. :shrug:
I'd understand if the Sutras were translated in, for example, Eskimo languages or so. It would be useful and undoubtedly bring good fruits for people. The action of making Dharma more widespread in the world. But translating in the dead languages... Hmm... As I know we've got less than a zero Latin native speakers.
I do respect the author of the translation. He must be a very intelligent person... But what for?
Qui êtes-vous ?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Dharma Atma wrote:Hmm... As I know we've got less than a zero Latin native speakers.
I do respect the author of the translation. He must be a very intelligent person... But what for?
There is an interest in Latin with media in Latin for example (Radio Bremen and of course the Vatican). There is a Latin section of Wikipedia for example with thousands of entries. Latin is still apparently taught in Italian schools. Then there might be some very minor Romance language in the wilds of France or the mountains of Spain that is close enough to Latin to make the sutra useful. Perhaps Helvetica (Swiss Swiss) as well?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

What is the use of translating the Diamond Sutra at all? The content is too difficult for anyone without prior education to make sense of, so any translation of it should be done with commentary. Not to mention there are dozens of English translations. A Latin version, well, it's fun, that's all.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Lemesee now... a Latin version of a Buddhist sutra being plugged on an English language board. I wonder what your demographics look like?

(tapitty tapitty tick tap tap)

Hm, according to Google, your entire demographic consists a certain Ashok Flavius Witherspoon from Willingston, England. Oh wait here's a photo:

Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Dharma Atma

Post by Dharma Atma »

kirtu wrote: Then there might be some very minor Romance language in the wilds of France or the mountains of Spain that is close enough to Latin to make the sutra useful. Perhaps Helvetica (Swiss Swiss) as well?
Very funny :twothumbsup:
In realty, Spanish (even in the wildest places where people haven't even heard the very word "civilization") went too far from its Latin progenitor. I don't even wanna speak about French: its evolution ran even faster.
Although Latin is their progenitor but 2,000 years 've done their work. For example, the English can't read English texts even of 13 century, and you want the French to remember Latin... :thumbsup:
kirtu wrote:There is an interest in Latin with media in Latin for example (Radio Bremen and of course the Vatican).
They in Vatican will read the Sutra with pleasure :smile:
Anyway, it's beside the point. :offtopic:
Astus wrote:What is the use of translating the Diamond Sutra at all?
Strange question. It's very useful to translate Dharma texts. Undoubtedly.
But why to translate them in the dead languages... :shrug:
Qui êtes-vous ?
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

What is the point of reading the Diamond Sutra at all, in any language?

The Perfection of Wisdom Sutras, as a whole, suggest that all things appear as thoughtforms (conceptual constructs).

And the Heart Sutra says that aggregates are dependently originated.

The messages ain't that complex.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Dharma Atma wrote:But why to translate them in the dead languages... :shrug:
Buddhist sutras were translated into literary Chinese, a dead language by that time. Same can be said about Sanskrit. Latin, of course, is not that popular now as those were in their respective cultural spheres. Still, there is some beauty in Latin. Even two volumes of Harry Potter were translated to Latin (and one volume to ancient Greek).
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Kare

Post by Kare »

The first translation of the Dhammapada into a Western language was in 1855, when Fausböll translated it into Latin. But at that time Latin was an international language of learning, read and understood by every learned person in the West. Times have changed.

Here is the well-known verse 183 in Latin:

Omnis mali omissio,
boni susceptio,
cogitationis suae lustratio:
hoc est Buddharum praeceptum.

I think it's rather nice ... :anjali:
Kåre A. Lie
Dharma Atma

Post by Dharma Atma »

Astus wrote:Still, there is some beauty in Latin.
D'accord :smile: Latin's ancient and beautiful language.
Astus wrote:Even two volumes of Harry Potter were translated to Latin (and one volume to ancient Greek).
I noticed that language is a very important part of any masterpiece. For example, I like Tolkien in English (his language's very expressive); Louis Carroll looks more natural and meanwhile fantastic in French (for ex, Alice au pays des merveilles); and according to my feelings Harry Potter's best read in Russian (the mystical atmosphere).
=========================
Anyway back to the thread, when we talk about the Dharma texts we'd better pay attention to their inner sense instead of words and language used. We all understand this.
Qui êtes-vous ?
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

It in Latin so da Pope can recite it for the masses!
rory

Post by rory »

Kare;
I'm a Latin fan and tiro & would love to read the Dhammapada in latin; do you have a link? As for everyone else, Latin until the 18th century was the language of all European intellectuals: Hungarians, Finns, Frenchmen, Russians, Englishmen could all converse with one another. Wittgenstein wrote his treatise in Latin. Latin is making a big comeback & I for one see how useful it would be as an international language.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Kare

Post by Kare »

rory wrote:Kare;
I'm a Latin fan and tiro & would love to read the Dhammapada in latin; do you have a link? As for everyone else, Latin until the 18th century was the language of all European intellectuals: Hungarians, Finns, Frenchmen, Russians, Englishmen could all converse with one another. Wittgenstein wrote his treatise in Latin. Latin is making a big comeback & I for one see how useful it would be as an international language.
gassho
Rory
It can be found in the "Thesaurus Literaturae Buddhicae":

https://www2.hf.uio.no/polyglotta/index ... rary&bid=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site, which is administered by Prof. Jens Braarvig at the University of Oslo, contains many Buddhist Texts (mainly Mahayana) in original languages and in translation, so it is an excellent source for serious students.

This link should lead directly to the Dhammapada in Latin:

https://www2.hf.uio.no/polyglotta/index ... mid=277752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kåre A. Lie
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Nice website. :smile:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Wow. It would appear the Latin/Buddhist demographic is bigger than I would have ever believed.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
rory

Post by rory »

Gratias tibi ago! I love having the Pali, Latin & English side by side. By translating the Dhammapada in Latin Fausboll made it instantly available to educated readers, no matter what their national language....Catmoon, i know but think about it; if you like Latin you probably like philosophy and Buddhism supplies that lack in the West.
gassho et valete
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
LadyAnn

Post by LadyAnn »

Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be. First it killed the Romans, now it's killing me.

... Interesting to see these sutras in Latin, none-the-less!
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Dharma Atma wrote: Very funny :twothumbsup:
In realty, Spanish (even in the wildest places where people haven't even heard the very word "civilization") went too far from its Latin progenitor. I don't even wanna speak about French: its evolution ran even faster.
Okay it's a stretch but I'm thinking about the late survival of languages like Friulian, Ladin, Occitan and so forth (not that these examples are all that close to Latin either but there might be some Romance/Rhaeto mix hold up in some village somewhere that might be close enough - dialects can be amazing).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
rory

Post by rory »

Occitan comes from Provencal, the language of the troubadors, an incredibly rich language that was probably closest to Latin. Back to Latin, only taught in a interesting lively way :twothumbsup:
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:

Return to “Sūtra Studies”