Hello to all from a baby Buddhist

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Asabandha

Hello to all from a baby Buddhist

Post by Asabandha »

Namaste!

TL;DR: I like Buddhism, I'm relatively new at it and I am looking to learn! Thanks!

My name is Rob and I live in the White Mountains area of NH. I've been interested in Buddhism for about three years. The first two years I learned a little here and there about Buddhist philosophy but did not engage in any serious practice. During that time I did make efforts to meditate, but I did not study Buddhist meditation. I was just following my gut. Over the past year I have begun to study and practice Buddhist meditation and done more serious study of Buddhist philosophy. My interest is in Tibetan Buddhism, but I am currently studying and practicing with an emphasis on the Fundamental Vehicle and my daily practice can be summed up as "refuge, metta, generating bodhicitta, shamatha, mantra visualization, mindfulness, dedication" in that order. I do that every morning after I shower, and sometimes I do it all over again in the evening.

So of course I do some activities that do not revolve around Buddhism, although I try to make them part of my practice. I repair computers from home and volunteer at the local senior center as waitstaff during lunch. I enjoy hiking, playing with Lola (my boxer child) and taking her out, visiting with friends and family. I am a very outdoorsy person... Indeed, right now one of the main things I am grappling with is reducing attachment to "Nature" without feeling like I am betraying my unconditional love of life. This is why I am focused on the Fundamental Vehicle... I still have not fully absorbed the Four Noble Truths and I am just beginning to wrap my head around the Eightfold Path. To give myself some credit, I am making a lot of progress and my online and real life Sangha has been very helpful with raising such valid points as "even vegans kill" and "you cannot drive your car without being an agent of death". So I'm getting to the point where I can say unequivocally "LIFE IS SUFFERING, WE NEED NIRVANA!!!!!" lol

Living as harmlessly as possible is something I strive for in my daily life. I will say now and never mention again that I am a vegan with the exception of local dairy (no eggs). I have gone through the phase of trying to convince people that this is the way to be, and it meets with so much resistance that I have deemed it a silly endeavor. So I won't try to convert any of you to veganism or anything, but if anyone would like to discuss it privately please feel free and I will do my very best to be accepting of your views and speak skillfully when expressing mine. :)

I like writing and I like Buddhism, so naturally I write about Buddhism. These writings can be found on the group blog Umpty Dumpty (http://www.umpty.org). I enjoy networking with Buddhists socially online, and so I invite you to connect with me on Facebook, Google+ or Twitter.

Uhhh that's about it! I'm looking forward to learning from the members of the community. Thank you all and may the merits of this Dharma sharing endeavor benefit all sentient beings.

- Rob
rose
Site Admin

Re: Hello to all from a baby Buddhist

Post by rose »

Hi Rob, :smile:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel.

Regards,
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Hi Rob! Have fun and welcome aboard. No cussin', no spittin', chewing tabaccy around the back by the hawgs.

We're all pretty sane round here. :D (cue theme from Deliverance)
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
mint

Post by mint »

If you're a baby Buddhist, then I'm a zygote.

Welcome.
Mandarava

Post by Mandarava »

:hi:
Welcome baby Buddhist :twothumbsup:
I'm a closet Buddhist :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
'I really like these teeth.There is a human being who took my teeth and then
there is another human being who gave me my teeth'. ~*~ Palden Gyatso ~*~
Asabandha

Post by Asabandha »

Mandarava wrote::hi:
Welcome baby Buddhist :twothumbsup:
I'm a closet Buddhist :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
LOL!

Thanks everyone. :)
mint wrote:If you're a baby Buddhist, then I'm a zygote.
If you're a zygote Buddhist them I'm a Buddhist potentiated by a moment of desire between my parents as they meet eyes for the first time! SO THERE!
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

:lol:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
TenzinDorje

Post by TenzinDorje »

mint wrote:If you're a baby Buddhist, then I'm a zygote.

Welcome.
that's very funny..
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

lol, jokes!
do_not_zzz

Post by do_not_zzz »

Namaste and welcome to DW, Asabandha!

- dnz _/|\_

Return to “Introductions”