YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

ants in my house!!!! - Dhamma Wheel

ants in my house!!!!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
dhammastudier

ants in my house!!!!

Postby dhammastudier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:34 pm

i have ants! how do i deal with this without killing them???

i also see spiders, usually one or two per day, mostly wolf spiders. i catch them and put them outside but this cannot be done with the groups of ants i find as they are in the hundreds sometimes! i've tried picking them up but there are so many and they move so quickly and they are so tiny it's easy to accidentally squish them. help!

tiltbillings

Re: ants in my house!!!!

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:41 pm

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Mukunda

Postby Mukunda » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:26 pm

If they are traveling on a "trail" (following one another), often disrupting the trail will disorient them. It is a scent trail they lay down, so rubbing it out prevents new ants from following in.

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:42 pm

OcTavO

Postby OcTavO » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:02 pm

I echo Tiltbillings reply... most species of ant only enter residences if there's a food source attracting them. Make your house fastidiously clean - with all foods in well sealed containers and pets bowls cleaned out etc. - and they will likely leave to find a better food source. In this scenario, no killing is necessary... although it may take some time for them to stop checking your place out as a potential source. If you can live with them until that time then you'll be all the better for it.

I also had some luck with buying caulk and carefully sealing every crack and gap all over the house.

The exception is if they are carpenter ants... in which case they are feeding on the actual building structure and there's likely nothing you can do but have them exterminated by a professional.

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:27 pm

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Hello all,

Most of these repellent suggestions seem to be non-harming, I've removed a few that were. Hopefully you'll find something that won't hurt the little fellas but will bring peace to the household:
Getting rid of ants

Q. I have a question about ants. We have had a problem with the small, brown ants.

• We have 'them, too. About everybody we know does, here in Southern California. We don't like to spray poisons around, so we have to put up with them to some extent, but we have found that they hate baby powder (preferably scented talcum). If you find a trail of them in your house, or some "scouts" looking for food so they can bring the rest of their nest to enjoy it, just sprinkle the baby powder on the ants and wherever they are coming in from, if you can find it, and you will see them begin to get upset. After a while, they'll be gone, and they won't be back again for awhile, even after you remove the powder. We dust baby powder on our honey jar and sugar bowl, as well as the outside of the cats' dish and it keeps the ants off.

• Sounds crazy, but try vinegar! Fill a squirt bottle with plain old cheap white vinegar, and squirt it anyplace you've seen ants (kitchen counters, windowsills, etc) and let it dry. It's non-toxic, won't harm anything, and the smell will go away in just a couple of minutes. It worked for me!

• I have a suggestion for the ant problem; plain old cinnamon. I put in or at the site of the ant invasion, they back off quick!

• Black pepper is a nonlethal, poison free, cheap, and safe way to get rid of ants - sprinkle the black pepper where you see them congregating and watch 'them scatter. Follow them to where they're exiting - which is the same spot they're entering in at - and sprinkle the pepper at that spot to keep them from coming back in. It's safe to use in your cabinets, on windowsills, near your pets and kids, around food, etc.

• I have a book with several tips for the use of apple cider vinegar. One of them is getting rid of ants. Make a mixture of 50/50 water and vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray the surface with the solution several times a day. Ants guide themselves with their scent. Vinegar has a natural chemical that alters ants' scent and which ants avoid.

• My husband was in conversation recently with a gentleman in the pest control business. This man preferred to use environmentally safe methods to control pests. His recommendation for ants was: equal parts Windex and Ivory Soap. Simply mix, and spray problem areas. ???? (not sure about this one)

• If you can trace them back to where they are getting in, because caulking is usually the best solution, as it prevents recurrence.

• I had a bad problem with them last year and tried everything. Then, I read in a book to place Bay Leaves on your counters and preferably along the trail where they are coming in (if you can find it). It worked. Now I make sure that I keep some behind my canisters, etc. on my countertops.

• We use plain white chalk drawn in a line at the place they come in they wont cross for some reason and also I use comet cleanser sprinkled where children/animals don't go.

•Ants will crawl away from mint. I did this as a science experiment and it worked. Just plant mint all around your house. Especially near doorways.

• A line of cayenne pepper usually stops them from crossing over it.

• Try putting some whole cloves around. I put them on the window sills and door jams and also sprinkled a few around in my bottom cabinets. It worked.

• Red chili powder !! I've been using it to repel ants for years. Make a paste using a little water, find where the little black pests are coming in and going out and paste the area. you can sprinkle the powder too, but I find adding water makes it more potent. The ants hate the stuff. Brooke and Mary B.

• Some mint oil and mint chewing gum help repel ants in a house. placed a stick or open pack of chewing gum on a shelf. Outside you can plant mint around the foundation. It makes a good groundcover and is fragrant when it's stepped on. I hope this helps. Please let me know.

http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:56 pm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Ants in the house are a sign of accessible food and especially decaying food intrashbins.

You have to understand the role of ants out in nature. They clean up rotting material.

So if there is any, it will get removed by ants.

Get rid of this material in your house, empty trashbins frequently, at least once a day, because the leftovers of one apple will already attract them.

Put all food like sugar into containers which you can close completely.

If you do this, they won't smell anything interesting and you won't need cinnamon and other things with a strong distracting smell.

Make a nice and friendly contact with the ants:

Donate some sugar and water out of the house, (where they come in), and you will find them happily enjoying your gifts.

Ask them to respect your territory but don't send out double messages by keeping it interesting for them.

This is what works here.

Metta. Anna
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:09 pm

You won't need vinegar and all those other recommendations, if you remove decaying fruit.

Rotting fruit begins to smells sour if it sits in a bucket for a few days.

Try to collect some watermelon leftovers in a plastic bag, and smell after a few days if you don't believe me. It smells sour like vinegar.

Mukunda

Postby Mukunda » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:11 pm

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:36 am

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:37 am

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:38 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:50 am

Attachments
pangolin[1].jpg
pangolin[1].jpg (33.16 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:08 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:16 am

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:04 am

dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:50 pm

[/quote]
That is a pangolin, which is a type of anteater. Armadillos have a far more varied diet.

(Much nicer avatar.)[/quote]

oh ok! what a cool looking anteater! i didn't know they looked like that, i found a bunch of funny pictures by googling anteater. it looks like a lot of people have them as pets! and thanx, i recently re-watched 2001 a space odyssey and thoughts of that combined with reading about buddhism led to me thinking that picture is awesome!

Return to “Lounge”