Coffee Substitutes

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Nicholas Weeks

Coffee Substitutes

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

What with the Southern California winter upon us, where the temperatures can be in the bone-chilling 60s or 50s, (yes, we are all sissies here) I like a hot drink. But no caffeine please, so with Postum no longer available, I am trying such barley-based beverages as:

Cafix - roasted barley, rye, chicory & sugar beets. It is dandy in its instant form; a tasty coffee-postumish drink.

Kaffree Roma - roasted barley, roasted malt barley, roasted chicory, roasted rye. Hard to tell the difference from Cafix, thus another good instant hot drink.

Still waiting for my shipment of something called Pero - also a roasted barley drink. I find Amazon or Vitacost carry a lot of such odd drinks.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
ronnewmexico

Re: Coffee Substitutes

Post by ronnewmexico »

Roobis tea is my favorite. No caffine. Not fake roobis made in Jamica or some such but the stuff from south africa.
Loose tea and hanging a mesh container in a hot pot is the way to go(which I am doing at this moment.

For those that may like caffine(which I also do)...a substitute for coffee is mate. Unsmoked, smoked has carcoginians.
Loose is again the best. A cup which I just finished, as well.... :smile:
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Hot Chocolate!
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

Raja's Cup...http://www.maharishi.co.uk/acatalog/Mah ... te_43.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dandelion Coffee (generic)

Barley Cup ( a brand name) made from roasted barley, rye and chicory

I'm back on the caffeine myself.
Last edited by MrDistracted on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

ronnewmexico wrote:Roobis tea is my favorite. No caffine. Not fake roobis made in Jamica or some such but the stuff from south africa.
Loose tea and hanging a mesh container in a hot pot is the way to go(which I am doing at this moment.

For those that may like caffine(which I also do)...a substitute for coffee is mate. Unsmoked, smoked has carcoginians.
Loose is again the best. A cup which I just finished, as well.... :smile:
I tried yerbe mate a few years back; at first I liked it, it seemed to brighten my mind. But after a week or two, it made me feel too odd in the head, so I dropped it.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Mate is used by many when for one reason or another(perhaps ulcer) they want to wean themselves from coffee.
It does contain significant caffine so if one is sensitive to caffine one will be affected.
Some people are sensitive to caffine in unexpected ways.
At least one person I know and probably two has panic attacks as a direct consequence of caffine.
If one drank coffee regularly one perhaps would not know this as cause.
This person I was with at the time did not see or know of the relationship but it appeared obvious to me at the time(it pretty soon occured after a strong coffee) Another family member of theirs seems to have the same problem so perhaps there is a genetic influence.
No coffee seems to solve the problem in both cases,and this was years ago.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Why not buy a few decaff coffees and see if there is one you like, bearing in mind that some are chemically decaffeinated and other just use water filtering.

With the UK autumn being warm, we have plenty of fresh nettles - I was surprised that as a tea it was pretty good!
Left
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Sometimes at the import store you can find a product called Inka. It's made in Poland and the best of the non-coffees I have tried for taste and texture (not gritty or bitter).
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Jikan wrote:Sometimes at the import store you can find a product called Inka. It's made in Poland and the best of the non-coffees I have tried for taste and texture (not gritty or bitter).
I have heard of this Polish Inka; will add it to my list to sample. Also from Poland is Cafix; invented decades ago evidently.
maybay

Post by maybay »

Straight chicory. Comes in a tea-bag. Add powder milk.

You can boil liquorice bark. Makes a powerful concoction nice with honey.

Heard of Milo or Horlicks?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

maybay wrote:Straight chicory. Comes in a tea-bag. Add powder milk.

What do Milo, Horlicks & straight chicory taste like - coffeeish or ???
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I think you'll get divergent opinions on chicory. Among my friends are some Louisiana expatriates who love the stuff, but even they admit it doesn't taste much like coffee. It's its own thing.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Will wrote:What do Milo, Horlicks & straight chicory taste like - coffeeish or ???
Milo and Horlicks are malt based, tend towards being sweet and are normally dissolved in hot milk. They taste has more in common with hot choclate than coffee. They are mighty tasty though and a nice winter drink.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
maybay

Post by maybay »

Will wrote:
maybay wrote:Straight chicory. Comes in a tea-bag. Add powder milk.

What do Milo, Horlicks & straight chicory taste like - coffeeish or ???
So you don't want to drink caffeine but you can't quite go cold turkey on coffee 'cause its got that 'real' taste nothing else gives. I tell you now - there's nothing else. The problem is secularism. Coffee is secular fanaticism. Its a drug. We're fascinated with it. Zen approach doesn't work. You stop drinking the stuff, create a Zen garden, but then it just fills up with weeds. So don't kid yourself. Nothing wrong with coffee now and then. Or a pie, a steak, McDonalds whatever. Its this culture of trying to find a kill-all solution - one ring to rule them all. You believe in a goal, an end. There's no end, just cycles repeating. You actually think there's a way out of coffee, or a karma free life. HA! You get rid of lesser passions and the biggest one just gets bigger. That's demonic. You know what they do with bacteria - they pit them against each other. The smaller ones with the bigger ones. They recreate the food-chain, the ecosystem. Everyone has their place. You take one species out and the whole thing tumbles down. I'll touch a Brahmin any day. Even the bad is good. So let Milo and coffee live side by side. Alternate days. Then you add chicory. Then horlicks, some tea, and why not green. Its not Zen see. But at the end of it there's just no space for the weeds to grow. Its a balanced diet. But maybe you don't like perceptions of diversity. They irritate you. Fine, its not the dots themselves. You're just looking too close. Too focused. See the wave, the natural order. Order in chaos - without YOU. Or does that scare you? Every corporate's nightmare, these self-organizing teams. See the wave and that's compassion. The seeing is the compassion. And you let go - it just happens. Things take care of themselves, and that's wisdom. :rolling:
- Machig Labdron
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Will wrote: What do Milo, Horlicks & straight chicory taste like - coffeeish or ???

Do you remember that unbelievably bad coffee MacDonalds used to make around 1972? That's chicory.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Maybay,

I really like coffee. I really like the taste of good coffee and the energy burst. BUT coffee screws up my stomach, wrenches my intestine, drives my kidneys insane, stimulates my liver and racks my nerves.

Some people just should not drink coffee for health reasons, it's that simple.

I HATE coffee substitutes, they taste NOTHING like coffee, so I put together a 70% decaf 30% coffee mix for myself with plenty of milk and thus am satisified without all the negative side effects. But for some people even that is not an option, for some people balance is achieved by avoiding coffee totally.
:namaste:
Last edited by Grigoris on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

maybay: Thanks for the sermon, but taste is only part of it. Caffeine hurts my heart & blood pressure. Since this body is elderly I prefer to avoid those things that will shorten my life & thus end opportunities to add some merit.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

New agey organic coffee with no caffine which being newagey and all I assume is healthy(I don't buy it as I can use caffeine)...Mount Hagen Organic cafe. It is freeze dried. The regular stuff taste great in latte to my opinion. I do use that. Packed in germany. Probably available on line.

Must be good...where I shop they seem to sell about ten of the decafs to one of the caffines. Sometimes not even bothering to stock the regulars. Comes in a 100Gram bottle,,,but is of course quite expensive...ten dollars or so(perhaps a bit less if one shops around 8 or so) for that little bottle.
maybay

Post by maybay »

You still think you're not addicted? at this late stage of the game you're gonna revolt against what's been sustaining you all this time. Com'onnnnn! Probably do more damage to stop.
I tell you, no one is ever happy with their body.
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Post by maybay »

Hey what do you mean thanks for the sermon? We're all role-playing here. You ask the dumb questions and I'll be the chiding megadude. You could even learn something.
- Machig Labdron

Return to “Alternative Health”