Embracing the Pure Land of Sukhavati

phantom59

Embracing the Pure Land of Sukhavati

Post by phantom59 »

Namo Amithabaya

Someone who wishes to practice the Buddha Amitabha should arrange plenty of offering substances in front of an image of the pure land.

Visualization of the Objects of Refuge

DUN GYI NAM KHAR LAMA O PAG ME PA LA KHOR JANG CHUB SEM PA PAG DU ME PE KOR WA NG O SU ZHUG PAR GYUR
In the space in front appears the guru in the form of Amitabha, surrounded by an inconceivable retinue of bodhisattvas.

NAMO / KON CHOG SUM DANG TSA WA SUM / KYAB NE NAM LA KYAB SU CHI / DRO KUN SANG GYE LA G O CHIR / JANG CHUB CHOG DU SEM KYE DO
Namo To the Three Jewels and the Three Roots the places of protection I go for refuge. In order to establish all beings in buddhahood, I give rise to the mind set on supreme awakening. Recite three times and then recite:

The Offering of the SevenI Limbed Prayer of Gathering the Accumulations in the Presence of the Objects of Refuge:

CHOG CHU DU SUM ZHUG PA YI / GYAL WA SE CHE THAM CHE LA / KUN NE DANG WE CHAG TSHAL LO
With sincere faith I pay homage to all the buddhas and bodhisattvas abiding in the ten directions and three times

ME TOG DUG P O MAR ME DRI / ZHAL ZE R OL MO LA SOG PA / NG O JOR YI KYI TRUL NE BUL / PHAG PEI TSHOG KYI ZHE SU S OL
I offer flowers, incense, lamps, fragrances, food, music, and the like, actually arranged and mentally created. Supreme gathering, please accept them

THOG MA ME NE DA TA I BAR / MI GE CHU DANG TSHAM ME NGA / SEM NI NY ON MONG WANG GYUR PEI / DIG PA THAM
CHE SHAG PAR GYI
I confess all evil deeds, the ten non virtues, and five acts without interval [that I have committed,] overpowered by mental afflictions, since beginningless time until now.

NYEN TH O RANG GYAL JANG CHUB SEM / SO S O KYE WO LA SOG PE / DU SUM GE WA CHI SAG PA / S O NAM LA NI DAG YI
RANG
I rejoice in the merit, all the virtue accumulated in the three times, by the shrsvakas, pratyekabuddhas, bodhisattvas, ordinary beings, and the like.

SEM CHEN NAM KYI SAM PA DANG / LO YI JE DRAG JI TA WAR / CHE CHUNG THUN MONG THEG PA YI / CH O KYI KHOR LO KOR DU SOL
Please turn the wheel of the Dharma of the greater and lesser vehicles, and the teachings common to both, according to the aspirations and diverse mental capacities of sentient beings

KHOR WA JI SI MA TONG BAR / NYA NGEN MI DA THUG JE YI / DUG NGEL GYA TSHOR JING WA YI / SEM CHEN NAM LA ZIG SU SOL
Until samsara is emptied, do not pass into nirvaṇa but compassionately look upon sentient beings drowning in the ocean of suffering.

DAG GI S O NAM CHI SAG PA / THAM CHE JANG CHUB GYUR GYUR NE / RING POR MI THOG DRO WA YI / DREN PEI PAL DU DAG GYUR CHIG
May all the merit I have accumulated become the cause of awakening, and may I soon become a glorious guide of beings.

TSHOG ZHING NAM RANG LA THIM PE DAG DANG SEM CHEN KUN GYI GYU LA TSHE ME ZHII LO KYE PAR GYUR
Think: The field of accumulation dissolves into me. Thus the mind of the four immeasurables has arisen within the mind streams of myself and all sentient beings.

SEM CHEN DE DANG DEN GYUR CHIG / DUG NGAL KUN DANG DRAL WAR SHOG / DE DANG TAG DU MI DRAL ZHING / TANG NYOM CHEN POR NE GYUR CHIG
May [all] sentient beings have happiness. May they be free from all suffering. May they never be separate from happiness. May they abide in great equanimity. Thus recite.

The Main Part: Visualization of the Yidam:

A / NANG SI KHOR DE CH O KUN RANG ZHIN TONG / MA TOG KHOR WAR THRUL NAM NYON RE MONG
Ah, appearance and existence, all phenomena of samsara and nirvaṇa, are empty by nature. Not realizing this, how afflicted are beings deluded in samsara

TONG SAL NYING JE ZUNG JUG TSAL DANG NI / RANG RIG HRI YIG KAR PO YONG GYUR LE
My own awareness appears as a white HRI the manifestation of unified emptiness, clarity, and compassion.

PE DEI DEN DU RANG NYI CHEN RE ZIG / ZHAL CHIG CHAG ZHI THAL JAR PE THRENG DZIN
The HRI transforms into myself appearing as Chenrezig seated upon a cushion of lotus and moon. I have one face and four arms, two are joined at the heart and the other two hold a lotus and garland.

ZHI ZHING JAM PEI NYAM CHEN LONG KU CHE / KU ME PEMEI NANG NUB KYIL TRUNG ZHUG
Peaceful and with loving countenance, I am dressed in the garments of a saṃbhogakaya buddha. Sitting in crosslegged
posture, my lower body is enfolded in a lotus.

DUN GYI NAM KHAR PE DEI DEN TENG DU / HRI YIG MAR PO O ZER RAB BAR WE
In the space in front, upon a seat of lotus and moon, appears a red HRI gleaming with light.

CHOG CHU SANG GYE JANG SEM NYE PAR JE / KHYEN TSE NU THU DU NE HRI LA THIM
The light radiates, pleasing the buddhas and bodhisattvas of the ten directions and gathering their knowledge, love, and power. The light then dissolves back into the HRI.

LAR YANG OZER RIG DRUG NE SU THR O / SEM CHEN LE NANG DAG DZIN BAG CHAG JANG
Again light rays radiate to the six realms, purifying the karmic visions, self grasping, and habitual tendencies of sentient beings.

OZER TSHUR DU HRI YIG NE GYUR WA / DRO WEI KYAB CHOG SANG GYE O PAG ME
The light gathers back and the HRI transforms into the supreme protector of beings, Buddha Amitabha

MAR SAL PEMA RA GEI HLUN PO TAR / ZHAL CHIG CHAG NYI NYAM ZHAG HLUNG ZE DZIN / CH O G O NAM SUM S OL ZHING
KYIL TRUNG ZHUG
He is bright red like a mountain of rubies, with one face and two arms in equipoise mudrA holding a begging bowl. He is garbed in the three Dharma robes and sits in crosslegged posture.

THUG JEI CHEN GYI DRO LA TAG TU ZIG / SANG GYE KUN GYI DAG NYI CHEN POR SAL
Ceaselessly looking upon beings with eyes of compassion, he appears as the great embodiment of all buddhas.

DE YI YE SU PHAG CHOG CHEN RE ZIG / ZHAL CHIG CHAG NYI Y ON PE PE KAR DZIN / KAR P O RIN CHEN GYEN CHEN ZHENG
TAB ZHUG
On his right is the noble supreme Chenrezig, with one face and two arms, holding a white lotus with the left [hand.] White and
adorned with jewels, he stands upright.

TSO W O Y ON DU GYAL SE THU CHEN THOB / ZHAL CHIG CHAG NYI Y ON PE DOR JE DZIN / NG ON PO RIN CHEN GYEN CHEN
ZHENG TAB ZHUG
To the left of the lord is the bodhisattva Vajrapaṇi, with one face and two arms, holding a vajra in the left hand. Blue and adorned with jewels, he stands upright.

KHOR DU JANG SEM GEN DUN TSHOG KYI KOR / TSO W O NE SUM DRU SUM TSHEN PA LE
They are surrounded by an assembly of bodhisattvas. The three places of the principal lord are marked with the three syllables.

O ZER KAR MAR THING SUM CHOG CHU DANG / KHYE PAR DE WA CHEN GYI ZHING DU THR O
From the syllables white, red, and blue light radiates to the ten directions, and in particular to the pure land of Sukhavati,

NANG THA KHOR CHE THUG DAM GYU KUL TE / KE CHIG NYI LA NE DIR CHEN DRANG GYUR
invoking the heart pledge of Amitabha and his retinue, who then instantly appear at this place.

Burn incense and play instruments.

HUNG / RANG RIG KA DAG DE CHEN ZHING KHAM NE / RANG DANG HLUN DRUB NANG THA KHOR DANG CHE
HUṃ, in the great bliss sphere of my own primordially pure awareness, [abides] Amitabha and retinue as the naturally
present innate radiance.

D O NE DAM TSHIG YE SHE YER ME KYANG / TSE CHEN THUG JEI LONG NE ZUG KYI KUR / M O PEI LO DANG TSHAM PAR
NAM R OL TE
From the beginning your samaya and timeless awareness are one, yet your form manifests from the expanse of great love and compassion, in accordance with the mental inclinations of beings.

THUG DAM WANG GI NE DIR SHEG NE KYANG / NA TSHOG PEMA DA WEI DEN TENG DU / DAM TSHIG KYIL KHOR DI DANG
NYI ME ZHUG
Compelled by your heart pledge, come here to this place and be seated, indivisibly from this samaya maṇḍala, upon a cushion of multicolored lotus and moon.

OM A MI DHE WA SA PA RI WA RA VAJRA SA MA YA DZA / DZA HUM BAM HO / SA MA YA TIṢṬHA HLAN

Supplicating thus, think that Amitabha and retinue actually come from Sukhavati and merge nonIdually, like water pouring into water, with you, the visualized samaya being.

Blessing the Offerings:

RAM YAM KHAM / OM A HUM Recite three times

OM SARVA VI PU RA PU RA SU RA SU RA A WAR TE BHYE SVA HA / OM VAJRA SPHA RA NA KHAM
Reciting thus three times bless the offerings.

Visualize making offerings: from the heart of yourself, visualized as the Great Compassionate One, inconceivable offering goddesses emanate, holding inconceivable offering substances, such as the seven offerings, the five sense pleasures, the auspicious substances, symbols, and so forth; and that from each of these offering substances
unimaginable offering clouds of everything desirable emerge.

HRI / YEN LAG GYE DANG DEN PEI CH O Y ON DI / JIN PEI RANG ZHIN GYAL WEI ZHAL DU BUL / DRO KUN JOR PA PHUN
SUM TSHOG GYUR CHIG
HRI, I offer this water endowed with eight attributes, with the nature of generosity, to the mouths of the Victorious Ones. May there be perfect fortune for all beings

DANG SIL NYOG ME YI ONG ZHAB SIL DI / TSUL THRIM RANG ZHIN GYAL WEI ZHAB DU BUL / DRO KUN SI PEI DUNG WA
CHIL GYUR CHIG
I offer this foot cleansing water clear, cool, pristine, and exquisite, and with the nature of morality to the feet of the Victorious Ones. May all beings escape from the misery of existence

HLA DZE ME TOG NA TSOG DZE PA DI / Z O PEI RANG ZHIN GYAL WEI CHEN LA BUL / DRO KUN THO RI Y ON TEN DUN DEN SHOG
I offer various beautiful celestial flowers that have the nature of patience to the eyes of the Victorious Ones. May all beings be endowed with the seven attributes of the higher realms

HLEN KYE JAR JUNG DRI CHOG DUG P O DI / TS ON DRU RANG ZHIN GYAL WEI SHANG LA BUL / DRO KUN SI PEI CHING LE
DR OL WAR SHOG
I offer this sweet smelling naturally blended incense that has the nature of diligence to the noses of the Victorious Ones. May all beings become free from the bonds of existence

SAL ZHING NANG WEI RIN CHEN DR ON ME DI / SAM TEN RANG ZHIN GYAL WEI THUG LA BUL / DRO KUN THRUL LO MONG
MUN SEL WAR SHOG
I offer this precious radiant and lustrous lamp that has the nature of meditation to the hearts of the Victorious Ones. May all beings clear away the dense darkness of their deluded minds

GUR GUM LA SOG NGE DEN MEN GYI CHAB / SHE RAB RANG ZHIN GYAL WEI KU LA BUL / DRO WA KUN GYI CH O NYI TOG
PAR SHOG

I offer fragrant medicinal elixir, saffron and the like, that have the nature of transcendent knowledge,to the bodies of the Victorious Ones. May all beings realize the inner nature of phenomena

RO GYA CHU DANG DEN PEI ZHAL ZE DI / THAB KYI RANG ZHIN GYAL WEI JAG LA BUL / DRO KUN TING DZIN ZE KYI TSO
WAR SHOG
I offer food endowed with the essence of a hundred tastes, with the nature of method, to the tongues of the Victorious Ones. May all beings be sustained by the food of samadhi

BU DUNG TR OL SOG NYEN JEB R OL M O TSOG / TOB KYI RANG ZHIN GYAL WEI NYEN LA BUL / DRO KUN JANG CHUB SEM
DANG DEN PAR SHOG
I offer harmonious musical sounds, such as those of conch shell, drum, and bell, that have the nature of power, to the ears of the Victorious Ones. May all beings be endowed with the awakening mind

WANG PO TSIM JE D O PEI Y ON TEN NGA / M ON LAM RANG ZHIN GYAL WA NAM LA BUL / DRO KUN ZAG ME DE WE NGOM
PAR SHOG
I offer the five desirables that appease the senses and have the nature of prayer to the Victorious Ones. May all beings be satisfied by untainted bliss

TRA SHI TAG DANG DZE GYE LA SOG PA / YE SHE RANG ZHIN GYAL WA NAM LA BUL / DRO KUN SANG GYE Y ON TEN THOB
PAR SHOG
I offer the eight auspicious symbols, substances and the like, that have the nature of
wisdom,to the Victorious Ones. May all beings attain the qualities of buddhahood

OM SARVA PU DZA ME GHA SA MU DRA SPHA RA NA SA MA YE A HUM Thus offer

Maṇḍala Offering:
TONG SUM JIG TEN RAB JAM THAM CHE KYI / DAG DU ZUNG DANG MA ZUNG NG O PO DANG / DAG LU LONG CH O DOG PA
CHI CHI PA
All owned and unowned things of the entire infinite billionfold universe, my own body, enjoyments, and all possessions,

T O ME DE CHEN ZHING DU BUL WA YI / DRO KUN DAG DZIN RAB ZHI JANG SEM DEN / NAM DAG ZHING DU THOG ME KYE WAR SHOG
I offer, without holding anything back, to the pure land of Sukhavati. May beings self grasping be thereby utterly pacified, may they thus be established in the awakening mind, and may their birth in the pure land be unobstructed.

OM RATNA MANDALA PU DZA ME GHA A HUM

The Seven Branches of the Essence

RANG SEM SANG GYE TOG PE D ON CHAG TSAL / RIG TONG DZIN ME NANG SI CH O PAR BUL / NYI DZIN THRUL NANG CH O
NYI LONG DU SHAG
Realizing my own mind is buddha, I pay homage [on the] ultimate [level.] [Abiding within] empty awareness devoid of grasping, everything that appears and exists is offered. Deluded perceptions of dualistic grasping are confessed within the expanse of the inner nature of phenomena.

KU SUM HLUN GYI DZOG LA JE YI RANG / THUG JE GYUN CHE ME PEI CH O KHOR
I rejoice within the state of the spontaneous completion of the three kayas. The Dharma wheel of unceasing compassion naturally turns.

KHOR DE KUN KHYAB RANG ZHIN CH O KUR ZHUG / KHOR SUM MIG ME KHYAB DAL CHEN POR NGO
Samsara and nirvaṇa abide as all pervasive natural dharmakaya. Within a state of infinite pervasiveness without any reference point of the three spheres I dedicate.
Recognizing and giving rise to certainty in the fact that everything that appears and exists is the deity and the pure land, the self arising manifestation of timeless awareness, is the actual homage and praise. The homage as a mere common gesture of recollecting and venerating the qualities of the deity's knowledge, love, and power, is as follows:

HRI / DE CHEN ZHING DU CH O KYI KHOR LO KOR / SEM CHEN NAM LA TAG TU THUG JE ZIG
HRI, turning the wheel of Dharma in the pure land of Sukhavati, you unceasingly look upon sentient beings with compassion.

DAM CHA ZHAL ZHE DRO WEI D ON DZE PEI / NANG THA NYAM ZHAG DZE LA CHAG TSAL TO
Homage and praise to Amitabha, who abides in equipoise and is compelled by his pledge to act for the purpose of all beings

CHEN RE ZIG DANG THU CHEN THOB LA SOG / GYAL SE JANG SEM DRA CHOM PHAG PEI TSOG
To Chenrezig, Vajrapaṇi, the other bodhisattvas, the noble assembly of arhats,

DE CHEN DU ZHUG PEI HLA TSOG LA / LU NGAG YI SUM GU PE CHAG TSAL TO
and the gathering of deities abiding in Sukhavati, I humbly pay homage and offer praise with body, speech, and mind. Thus praise

Visualization for the Mantra Recitation:

RANG NYI JIG TEN WANG CHUG THUG KA RU / DA TENG HRI THAR YIG DRUG YE SU KOR
At the heart of myself, appearing as Chenrezig, on a moon disk is a HRI surrounded by the six syllable mantra that circles
clockwise.

DE YI O LE NGAG THRENG KAR PO TR O / THUG KA NE TH ON DUN KYE THUG KAR THIM / KU SUNG THUG KYI THUG JEI THUG DAM KUL
From it light radiates and a white mantra garland issues forth, emerges from my heart and dissolves into the hear

NANG THA I THUG KEI HRI THAR NGAG THRENG LE / OZER MARP O NGAG THRENG ZHAL NE THON / RANG GI ZHAL ZHUG JIN LAB NG O DRUB THOB
From the mantra garland around the HRI at the heart of Amitabha, a red mantra garland of light emerges from his mouth,enters my mouth, and I obtain blessings and attainments.

DE TAR GYUN MI CHE DU KHOR WA YI / NGAG LE OZER KHA DOG NA TSOG THRO

Thus the mantra circles continuously between myself and Amitabha. The multicolored light issuing from the circling mantra garland

CHOG CHU SANG GYE JANG SEM NYE PAR JE / KHAM SUM SEM CHEN KUN GYI DRIB SUM JANG / N O CHU NAM DAG DE CHEN ZHING DU GYUR
pleases the buddhas and bodhisattvas of the ten directions, purifies the three types of obscurations of all sentient beings in the three realms, and the universe and beings transform into the pure land of Sukhavati.

Visualize thus and recite: OM A MI DHE WA HRI
At times sustain nonImeditation and nonIdistraction, and recite within an effortless state that transcends the intellect:

HUNG / RANG RIG NANG WA THA YE KU / ZUNG DZIN DRAL WEI SEM LA
TO / NANG WA THA YE LOG NA ME / RANG RIG CHO KU NGO TSAR CHE
HUM, innate awareness is the form of Amitabha. Look at the mind that is free of subject object duality There is no other Amitabha than that; the dharmakaya of innate awareness is incredible.

OM A MI DHE WA HRI Recite as many times as you will and in the end [recite:]

HUNG / CHOM DEN G ON PO SANG GYE O PAG ME / TSE CHEN GYAL SE JANG SEM PHAG PEI TSOG / NY ON MONG DRO LA
THUG JEI RAB GONG LA / DAG SOG DE CHEN ZHING DU DREN DU S OL
HUM, transcendent conqueror, protector, Buddha Amitabha, and noble assembly of loving bodhisattvas, compassionately look upon us afflicted beings, and guide us to the pure land of Sukhavati.

NG ON GYI THUG KYE DAM CHA JI ZHIN DU / THUG DAM MA YEL THUG JE WANG GI HLA / LE NGEN THA ZE KHOR WA DONG
TRUG NE / DA TA NYI DU DREN PAR DZE DU SOL
In accord with your past bodhichitta vows, not wavering from the sacred bond, deity with great compassion, please exhaust all negative karma and empty samsara from its depths. At this very moment, please act as our guide

DE TAR DUNG SHUG DRAG P O GYU KUL WE / NANG THA I THUG LE THUG JEI O MAR THR O / DAG SOG DRO WEI NYING
KHAR THIM PEI M O
As I, with intense devotion have thus invoked the enlightened mind, red light rays of compassion radiate from the heart of Amitabha and dissolve into the hearts of myself and all beings.

DAG DZIN LOG TOG THRUL PA RANG SAR ZHIG / DAG ME CH O KU GONG PA NG ON GYUR SAM / SAL TONG DZIN ME TR O
DRAL NGANG DU ZHAG
Self grasping, misconceptions, and delusion thereby collapse in themselves. The state of selfless dharmakaya is realized, and I rest in the nature of clarity and emptiness, free from grasping and elaboration.Rest in this meditation for as long as you can.

Dedication:

DI TAR NAM PAR GOM DE LE JUNG WEI / S O NAM THA YE DAM PA GANG THOB DE / DRO WA DUG NGAL CHU WOR JING WA
NAM / O PAG ME PEI NE RAB THOB PAR SHOG
By all the limitless and sacred merit obtained through this meditation and recitation, may [all] beings drowning in the river of
suffering attain the supreme state of Amitabha.

HUNG HRI / CH O KU KUN KHYAB G ON PO O PAG ME / LONG KU TSE DEN GYAL SE SEM PEI TSOG / TRUL KU NYEN TH O DRA
CHOM KHOR CHE KYI / DRO NAM DE CHEN DR O PEI TRA SHI TS OL

HUM HRI, all pervasive dharmakaya Protector Amitabha, saṃbhogakayas Y the loving assembly of bodhisattvas, and nirmaṇakayas the gathering of shrsvakas, and arhats, together with your retinues, please endow all beings with the auspiciousness to progress to Sukhavati. Thus cast a rain of flowers and play instruments.

Prayer to be born in Sukhavati

E MA HO / NGO TSAR SANG GYE NANG WA THA YE DANG / YE SU JO WO THUG JE CHEN PO DANG / Y ON DU SEM PA THU
CHEN THOB NAM LA
E MA HO Marvelous In the center is the Buddha Amitabha, Boundless Light. To his right is Chenrezig, the Lord of Great Compassion, and to his left is the bodhisattva Vajrapaṇi, the Lord of Great Power.

SANG GYE JANG SEM PAG ME KHOR GYI KOR / DE KYI NGO TSAR PAG TU ME PA YI / DE WA CHEN ZHE JA WA I ZHING KHAM
DER
They are surrounded by an inconceivable assembly of buddhas and bodhisattvas. Extraordinary limitless peace and happiness is the buddha field called Bliss Endowed.

DAG ZHEN DI NE TSE PH O GYUR MA THAG / KYE WA ZHEN GYI BAR MA CH O PA RU / DE RU KYE NE NANG THEI ZHAL
THONG SHOG
When I and all beings pass from this life, may we be born there, unhindered by another saṃsaric birth. Once born there, may we behold the face of the Buddha Amitabha, Boundless Light.

DE KE DAG GI M ON LAM TAB PA DI / CHOG CHU SANG GYE JANG SEM THAM CHE KYI / GEG ME DRUB PAR JIN GYI LAB TU
S OL
By the power of all the buddhas and bodhisattvas of the ten directions, bless me that I may attain this aspiration without hindrance.

TADYA THA / PANTSA GRI YA A WA BO DHA NA YA SVA HA
Arnoud

Re: Embracing the Pure Land of Sukhavati

Post by Arnoud »

Very nice. It might be good to cite your sources though.
Konchog1

Re: Embracing the Pure Land of Sukhavati

Post by Konchog1 »

Clarence wrote:Very nice. It might be good to cite your sources though.
It's a sadhana written by Garchen Rinpoche and "At the request of Dorzin Döndrup this sadhana was translated by Ina Bieler and edited by Kay Candler."

http://www.garchen.net/resources/Amitab ... 0FINAL.pdf
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Return to “Kagyu”