Travelling with herbal medicine

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Paul

Travelling with herbal medicine

Post by Paul »

I am currently taking Tibetan medicine and it's impressively effective. I have to go to another country soon on business and will be flying. However I'm not looking forward to getting bags of brown powder through customs. Has anyone done this? Is it best to go in my main suitcase to avoid the nonsense about not taking certain things in ones hand luggage?
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Malcolm

Re: Travelling with herbal medicine

Post by Malcolm »

Paul wrote:I am currently taking Tibetan medicine and it's impressively effective. I have to go to another country soon on business and will be flying. However I'm not looking forward to getting bags of brown powder through customs. Has anyone done this? Is it best to go in my main suitcase to avoid the nonsense about not taking certain things in ones hand luggage?

Put it in your suitcase.

N
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I would advise taking a medical prescription with you or other evidence which shows clearly what you are carrying, why and who prescribed and supplied it.

You checked-in luggage will still be examined and powder will raise suspicions.

In some Arab countries they may insist that you have a prescription from a recognised health practitioner if what you are carrying is classified by them as medication. If the medicine you are carrying has any active ingredient which may cause sleep, relaxation etc. it may be prohibited without acceptable paperwork.

Check with your GP and your travel company to find out what the country you are visiting requires.

Namdrol can tell you if your specific medicine may contain a substance which can affect the brain.

Penalties for possessing any such drug can be very severe.

I used to travel extensively and being arrested on suspicion of carrying drugs at the airport in Kuala Lumpur was a pretty scary business, as it carries the death penalty. The suspicious item had been purchased in their own Duty Free area so it was soon resolved, but...............
Left
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Blue Garuda wrote: I used to travel extensively and being arrested on suspicion of carrying drugs at the airport in Kuala Lumpur was a pretty scary business,
One time my brother rummaged through his bag for something while on the line for a customs check point (not the smartest thing to do). The acitivity seemed suspicious even though he was just checking to see if he had brought something with him. Two TSA officers took him off the line and questioned him extensively for a long time, fingerprinted him, took his photo, and ran his name through computer databases. It was a while before they let him go.

Kevin
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm traveling within Europe, so don't have to deal with the TSA (who seem crazy). Here in the UK the laxity of our border staff is in the press at the moment. Again.

I don't have a prescription for it and don't even know what it is - it was given to me by a proper Tibetan doctor, but he didn't give me any details on the content.

I think I won't bother taking it with me. I'm only going for a few days.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
palchi

Post by palchi »

Paul wrote:Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm traveling within Europe, so don't have to deal with the TSA (who seem crazy). Here in the UK the laxity of our border staff is in the press at the moment. Again.

I don't have a prescription for it and don't even know what it is - it was given to me by a proper Tibetan doctor, but he didn't give me any details on the content.

I think I won't bother taking it with me. I'm only going for a few days.
I don't think you need to worry if you are travelling within Europe. I have travelled extensively across Europe and the only airports standing out in my experience are those in the UK because of all the queuing and fuss at security and Frankfurt/Main which is a bit strict especially if you arrive from weird places but I don't think they would have a problem with herbal medicine unless it's liquid.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Well now I'm conflicted...

As far as the medication itself it's just some bags with "morning", "lunchtime" and "evening medicine" on them. At a guess one's agar 35 but I don't really know.

I would like to keep up the continuity of treatment. I don't know if that's important.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Paul wrote:Well now I'm conflicted...

As far as the medication itself it's just some bags with "morning", "lunchtime" and "evening medicine" on them. At a guess one's agar 35 but I don't really know.

I would like to keep up the continuity of treatment. I don't know if that's important.
No need to worry.

If you know what the contents are and they are harmless, the worst they will do is confiscate it. My concern for you is that if you don't know what is in the medicine you could end up in trouble.
Left
palchi

Post by palchi »

Paul wrote:Well now I'm conflicted...

Paul, hand luggage checks are interested in liquids and anything that could compromise airport/flight security. They are not bothered with any herbs. Assuming you are travelling within the EU you do not have to go through customs. So there won't be any further check.

Also, since you presumably do not have your litle bags hidden away in suspicious places but just normally placed in your bag and that presumably they don't look and smell like classified drugs I don't think anybody will care. There's no problem to have herbs or spices or loose tea or something in your bag. So why would Tibetan medicine be different?

Just relax.... and have a good trip....
cheers
Palchi
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I've carried Tibetan medicine and dutsi with me on many trips within the U.S. and to various European countries and not had any problems.. usually in my carry-on luggage. I would be more worried going to an arab country certainly!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Paul

Post by Paul »

Namdrol wrote:
Paul wrote:I am currently taking Tibetan medicine and it's impressively effective. I have to go to another country soon on business and will be flying. However I'm not looking forward to getting bags of brown powder through customs. Has anyone done this? Is it best to go in my main suitcase to avoid the nonsense about not taking certain things in ones hand luggage?

Put it in your suitcase.

N
This is what I did and there was no problem what so ever.

Return to “Alternative Health”