Study, reflection and meditation - refuge precept.

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Inge

Study, reflection and meditation - refuge precept.

Post by Inge »

In An Essential Instruction on Refuge and Bodhichitta, Patrul Rinpoche gives the following summary of one of the refuge precepts:

"Exert yourself in studying, reflecting and meditating on the sacred Dharma. Show respect even for torn scriptures that represent the Dharma."

I wonder how you apply this precept in your practice. What amount of study, refelection and meditation do you do, and do you give the three aspects equal attention?

Are there an ideal way to distribute time and effort between the three?

Let's say I have one hour at hand, and want to study a sutra. Should I first read 20 minutes, then reflect 20 minuts and then meditate 20 minutes? Or is it better to furst study/read the whole sutra in one or more sessions, then reflect for a similar amount of time and then the same with meditation?

I have also seen that the term meditation is used in some texts, and the term contemplation in others. Is meditation and contemplation the same thing?
Dexing

Re: Study, reflection and meditation - refuge precept.

Post by Dexing »

Inge wrote:Let's say I have one hour at hand, and want to study a sutra. Should I first read 20 minutes, then reflect 20 minuts and then meditate 20 minutes? Or is it better to furst study/read the whole sutra in one or more sessions, then reflect for a similar amount of time and then the same with meditation?
The order and structure of your personal practice is not so important. It's not the amount of time you spend reading something, or whatever benefit you receive from your study and meditation. Those things are very small importance.

But.. how do you use this in your daily life, in your relationships with others? How do you use this to benefit all beings.

I suggest focusing more in that direction. Then you really can't go wrong, whatever structure you choose for your study and practice.

:namaste:
nopalabhyate...

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”