Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).

Do you use: Linux, Mac, Windows or Other OS

Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Linux
24%
Mac
32%
Windows
40%
Other
4%

Total votes: 25

Kyosan

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Post by Kyosan »

edearl wrote:Linux has vulnerabilities, but security updates are frequent and free. Moreover, if one only runs a personal user-id, instead of root (i.e., admin)--normal for Linux users--security breaches are very limited. One can disconnect from the internet to run root, which gives added protection. Any use of root while on the internet should be very limited.
In Debian, I always run everything as a regular user, except I do log in as root in a terminal (konsole since I'm now using KDE) and do installations and upgrades through aptitude. I wonder, would having the terminal open as root while Firefox is also open increase the security risk? Would it be safer to use the non-graphical terminals built into Linux (e.g. CTRL-ALT-F1). Or is it only a security issue if I run Firefox as root (something I would never do).
:namaste:
edearl

Post by edearl »

Kyosan wrote:
edearl wrote:Linux has vulnerabilities, but security updates are frequent and free. Moreover, if one only runs a personal user-id, instead of root (i.e., admin)--normal for Linux users--security breaches are very limited. One can disconnect from the internet to run root, which gives added protection. Any use of root while on the internet should be very limited.
In Debian, I always run everything as a regular user, except I do log in as root in a terminal (konsole since I'm now using KDE) and do installations and upgrades through aptitude. I wonder, would having the terminal open as root while Firefox is also open increase the security risk? Would it be safer to use the non-graphical terminals built into Linux (e.g. CTRL-ALT-F1). Or is it only a security issue if I run Firefox as root (something I would never do).
:namaste:
IMO as long as aptitude does not have security holes, your upgrade will be safe, but I am neither a hacker nor a security expert. I do the same kind of upgrade on my SUSE system, using yast, and have had a solid system for many years.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

PC 4eva!
edearl

Post by edearl »

Food_Eatah wrote:PC 4eva!
Yes, no matter what OS thy use:)
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

oh yea, and Windoe 4eva!!!
zangskar

Post by zangskar »

It's not as bug free (yet) as some other low resource Ubuntu based distributions so the risk of crashes is probably a bit higher, but I still think it's appropriate to to mention this here:

BODHI LINUX, running on the ENLIGHTENMENT desktop. :) --> http://bodhilinux.com

It's a very minimal distribution that doesn't come bundled with lots of different programs which is nice if you like to decide for yourself exactly which programs to install (you can choose from the Ubuntu repositories using the synaptic package manager).
Also because of the Enlightenment desktop and minimalism this distribution doesn't take up a lot of system resources.

Best wishes
Lars

Return to “Lounge”