Kunjed Gyalpo:The Supreme Source

Rinchen Dorje

Kunjed Gyalpo:The Supreme Source

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Been reading this book lately. Just have to say...what an incredibly cool and entertaining way to present the Dzogchen Teachings!!! It's as though one were having a conversation with the Enlightened Nature...very cool...makes me laugh with joy
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
padma norbu

Re: Kunjed Gyalpo:The Supreme Source

Post by padma norbu »

I'm going to have to try to read this again, now that I have a few years experience under my belt. I remember it was one of the first things I got and it was just confusing to me. I remember being hungup on whether or not these beings were supposed to actually exist but also had no clue what they were talking about. Pretty sure it will make a lot more sense to me now.

BTW, didn't Jim Valby put out volume 1 of a 2-volume set about this as well?
http://sites.google.com/site/jimvalbythings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been wondering what the difference is exactly. I know Jim's is a heck of a lot longer, but I'm not sure why.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

That's Jim's translation of the Kunjed Gyalpo plus the commentary on it.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Hm, interesting. I'd like to see the commentary. Is the translation of Kunjed Gyalpo itself much different from Namkhai Norbu's?
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote:Hm, interesting. I'd like to see the commentary. Is the translation of Kunjed Gyalpo itself much different from Namkhai Norbu's?
I haven't compared them. The translation is by Adriano Clemente BTW.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
mint

Post by mint »

padma norbu wrote:BTW, didn't Jim Valby put out volume 1 of a 2-volume set about this as well?
http://sites.google.com/site/jimvalbythings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been wondering what the difference is exactly. I know Jim's is a heck of a lot longer, but I'm not sure why.
Has anybody gotten this? Is it recommended for a beginner like me - that is, would it be a good foundational text? Or, is it likely to be overwhelming, confusing and ultimately counterproductive until after some experience has been gained?
Kunzang Tobgyal

Post by Kunzang Tobgyal »

I have this series. Fantastic work. Not recommended for a beginner.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

mint wrote:
padma norbu wrote:BTW, didn't Jim Valby put out volume 1 of a 2-volume set about this as well?

Has anybody gotten this? Is it recommended for a beginner like me - that is, would it be a good foundational text? Or, is it likely to be overwhelming, confusing and ultimately counterproductive until after some experience has been gained?
I wouldn't say experience, but knowledge. It wouldn't be my first pick. Later on it's a must have, IMO, if you are going to practice Dzogchen. If not, then better leave it alone.
mint

Post by mint »

Dechen Norbu wrote:I wouldn't say experience, but knowledge. It wouldn't be my first pick. Later on it's a must have, IMO, if you are going to practice Dzogchen. If not, then better leave it alone.
:thumbsup:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Just as a FYI, Jim Valby's translation of Volume 4 (root text & commentary, chapters 41-57) is out now.

That leaves the following as remaining works to be released:

Volume 5, root text & commentary, chapters 58-84, Jun-2013
Volume 6, Longchenpa's Kunjed Düdön and Rinchen Druwo, Jun-2014
Volume 7, root text, chapters 1-84, with Tibetan critical edition, Jun-2015
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Is Jim Valby's work his own commentary or translation of a commentary?
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
heart

Post by heart »

Dorje Shedrub wrote:Is Jim Valby's work his own commentary or translation of a commentary?
It is a translation of a commentary.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Jim's excellent translations are a help in understanding Dzogchen, but a bit pricy so I asked Jim which volume should I buy if I were only going to buy one and he said, Number 5 because it is the shortest.

Don't know if this was a fess up by Jim that words are not what Dzogchen is about, but maybe.

ob
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Who wrote the commentary that he translated? I cant seem to find that info.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
heart

Post by heart »

Dorje Shedrub wrote:Who wrote the commentary that he translated? I cant seem to find that info.
Khenpo Zhenphen Öser

https://sites.google.com/site/jimvalbythings/

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

I'm still reading the book (the one annotated by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and translated by Adriano Clemente). Mine is in spanish.

On my mom's house we have the same book (The Supreme Source) but in english. I think this translation wasn't Jim's.

Anyway, Jim Valby is a great person and teacher and i'm sure his commentaries on the text will be very good. An even better master is his brother John Valby aka "Doctor Dirty.

Edit: On the other hand, i think The Supreme Source (by ChNN) mentions that it shows a selection from the Kunjed Gyelpo; so perhaps Jim is attempting to include the *full* text.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

How different is it to the E.K. Neumaier-Dargay translation?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

gregkavarnos wrote:How different is it to the E.K. Neumaier-Dargay translation?
It is excellent, no grammatical errors (mplying no mistranslations, etc.), contrary to the Neumaier-Dargay version which is replete with mistakes, wrong understanding, etc. Not to mention the return of sexism in her book which has totally discredited her work. Jim Valby knows and understands what he translates. Neumaier-Dargyay has sexist issues in mind and does not understand the contents of the original work. I mean, her book displays nearly as many translation mistakes as Ann Klein's Unbounded Wholeness...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Well, if I ever get a job again I will be sure to try and track down Volume 5 at least, I found the Neumaier-Dargay version quite enlightening. Even if it did suffer from mistranslation, the geist of the text was quite obvious.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
heart

Post by heart »

flavio81 wrote:I'm still reading the book (the one annotated by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and translated by Adriano Clemente). Mine is in spanish.

On my mom's house we have the same book (The Supreme Source) but in english. I think this translation wasn't Jim's.

Anyway, Jim Valby is a great person and teacher and i'm sure his commentaries on the text will be very good. An even better master is his brother John Valby aka "Doctor Dirty.

Edit: On the other hand, i think The Supreme Source (by ChNN) mentions that it shows a selection from the Kunjed Gyelpo; so perhaps Jim is attempting to include the *full* text.
No, Jim Valby's books (many volumes) is a translation of a commentary by Khenpo Zhenphen Öser on the root text of Kunjed Gyalpo.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Dzogchen”