Clergyman defends his Zen Buddhist practices

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Clergyman defends his Zen Buddhist practices

Postby thornbush » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Dear All,

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 66,0,0,1,0
An Anglican clergyman elected as a bishop has defended his right to use the practices of Zen Buddhism to deepen his Christian faith.
But in an interview with The Times, Dr Forrester said he was neither a Buddhist nor a Bhuddist priest and that he used Zen meditation simply to deepen his relationship with Christ. It was also a means to deepen understanding of the mystery of suffering, he explained.

A case of 'over-ecumenism', a reflection of typical rampant syncretist example or justifiable practice?
What's your take on this? Comments? Opinions?
thornbush

Re: Clergyman defends his Zen Buddhist practices

Postby Eternal Spirit » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:08 am

Dear Thornbush

Eternal life and eternal spirit of neverending consciousness is the Pureland of Christ and Buddha.

Our spirit never dies but lives forever. There is no death.

:namaste:
Eternal Spirit

Postby Queen Elizabeth II » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:24 am

thornbush wrote:What's your take on this? Comments? Opinions?

It is quite all right by us, and as Fidei Defensor and Supreme Governor of the Anglican Church we should know what we're talking about. The tolerance of loony vicars, and the promoting of the same to high office, is an ancient and venerable feature of Anglican tradition. We see no cause to break with it.
“I positively think that ladies who are always enceinte are quite disgusting; it is more like a rabbit or guinea-pig than anything else and really it is not very nice.”
~ Queen Victoria
Queen Elizabeth II

Postby Luke » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:02 pm

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 66,0,0,1,0
An Anglican clergyman elected as a bishop has defended his right to use the practices of Zen Buddhism to deepen his Christian faith.
But in an interview with The Times, Dr Forrester said he was neither a Buddhist nor a Bhuddist priest and that he used Zen meditation simply to deepen his relationship with Christ. It was also a means to deepen understanding of the mystery of suffering, he explained.

This priest sounds fairly wise. I think even the smallest contact with Dharma is a significant event. Maybe this priest will be a Buddhist in his next life...

Eternal Spirit wrote:Our spirit never dies but lives forever. There is no death.

Yes, the mind continues on after the body dies, but if the mind is stuck in samsara, this is no fun.
Luke

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:12 pm

Eternal Spirit wrote:Dear Thornbush

Eternal life and eternal spirit of neverending consciousness is the Pureland of Christ and Buddha.

Our spirit never dies but lives forever. There is no death.

:namaste:

This has nothing to do with buddhism.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby genkaku » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 pm

If a man or woman will consent to sit down on a regular basis, erect the spine,shut up for whatever length of time and focus the mind, I don't care if it's called the baked-potato-with-sour-cream-and-chives religion.

I wouldn't be surprised if the elders were made edgy by his reference to Meister Eckhart as a forbear ... and look at the hot water Eckhart got into. I am glad that this man does not consider himself a Buddhist -- ecumenism is a social function and spiritual endeavor, when it's serious, gets to the bottom of one thing ... just one thing ... pick your thing... Christianity will do.

Just my take.
genkaku

Return to News & Current Events