Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).

Do you use: Linux, Mac, Windows or Other OS

Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Linux
24%
Mac
32%
Windows
40%
Other
4%

Total votes: 25

alwayson

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Post by alwayson »

Namdrol wrote:
If this were true, there would not be so many holes in Windows.

N

Who says there are holes in Windows 7?

There aren't any holes on Windows 7.

Like I said, it has UAC.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

The only good thing Apple makes is the Airport Extreme which is surprisingly the best WiFi router on the market.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/airp ... er-wifi-/9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by alwayson on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

alwayson wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
If this were true, there would not be so many holes in Windows.

N

Who says there are holes in Windows 7?

There aren't any holes on Windows 7.

Like I said, it has UAC.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/20 ... -stack.ars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Namdrol wrote:
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/20 ... -stack.ars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are just typical updates that Microsoft releases. My PC automatically installs them. I don't even have to think about it.

You made it sound like there are some fundamental unfixable holes to Windows.
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

XP at work. Window 7 at home.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

alwayson wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

These are just typical updates that Microsoft releases. My PC automatically installs them. I don't even have to think about it.

You made it sound like there are some fundamental unfixable holes to Windows.
All holes a fixable, the point is, there should not be so many.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Namdrol wrote: All holes a fixable, the point is, there should not be so many.

Lets be clear that Mac has more such holes than Windows.

The only difference is that Microsoft fixes them, and Apple doesn't.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

alwayson wrote:
Namdrol wrote: All holes a fixable, the point is, there should not be so many.
Lets be clear that Mac has more such holes than Windows.
Sorry, my boy, that is just not the case. You can't FUD your way out of this.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Namdrol wrote: Sorry, my boy, that is just not the case. You can't FUD your way out of this.

Thats absolutely the case.

Famed Mac security expert Charlie Miller, who won multiple years for the fast Mac hack at Pwn2Own, comments, "Mac OS X is no more secure than any other operating system. It has vulnerabilities, and it will let you download and run malware. The difference is that there simply isn't that much malware written for it. The bad guys have focused all their energies at Windows, which makes up the vast majority of the computers out there. However, as market share for Macs continues to inch up, that equation is going to change and bad guys will begin to focus in on Macs, if that hasn't already started to happen. And as I mentioned above, Macs are no more inherently secure than Windows, so when the bad guys decide to go after them with gusto, it'll get ugly fast."
BuddhistPariah

Post by BuddhistPariah »

alwayson wrote: These are just typical updates that Microsoft releases. My PC automatically installs them.
Yes! Your PC automatically gets frozen for more than 24 hours sometimes while updating isn't?
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

BuddhistPariah wrote:.
woooo, Pariahs are scary!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

alwayson wrote:
Namdrol wrote: Sorry, my boy, that is just not the case. You can't FUD your way out of this.

Thats absolutely the case.

Famed Mac security expert Charlie Miller, who won multiple years for the fast Mac hack at Pwn2Own, comments, "Mac OS X is no more secure than any other operating system. It has vulnerabilities, and it will let you download and run malware. The difference is that there simply isn't that much malware written for it. The bad guys have focused all their energies at Windows, which makes up the vast majority of the computers out there. However, as market share for Macs continues to inch up, that equation is going to change and bad guys will begin to focus in on Macs, if that hasn't already started to happen. And as I mentioned above, Macs are no more inherently secure than Windows, so when the bad guys decide to go after them with gusto, it'll get ugly fast."

More FUD. Same stuff we have been hearing for years.
maybay

Post by maybay »

What was eSangha OS? How did they get in?

What is Dharma Wheel on? It looks even more rickety. I'm almost tempted to write a Stylish script for the horrendous gradient at the top. THANK YOU ADMIN! I know you don't care how it looks :tongue:
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
edearl

Post by edearl »

alwayson wrote:I still don't understand why we are lumping all "Windows" into the same category.

Windows 7 is as secure as any other OS.

I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials for AV
Linux security has features that make it inherently more secure than any MS Windows platform, and the difficulty of penetrating a Linux system keeps the number of viruses written for Linux few in number. I feel no need to have virus scan software on my Linux system. I accept that one may configure and use Windows such that its security is as good as Linux, but one must work for the same level of security that Linux has naturally with no extra effort.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I will say Mac's security is good.

However, if you know what anti-virus software to use for Windows, you are all set.
It’s eye blinking.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

LastLegend wrote:I will say Mac's security is good.

However, if you know what anti-virus software to use for Windows, you are all set.
I agree. Macs are superior machines. There is no doubt about it.

But if you are on Windows like me, get Vipre for godsakes. Also, run malwarebytes from time to time to check for any problems Vipre might not pick up.

Vypre is excellent antivirus + antispyware super program. It updates constantly for new threats. It is a world different than most popular anti virus programs, really. Vipre for the win on Windows. It also has a good Firewall available.

Kevin
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

LastLegend wrote:I will say Mac's security is good.

There is more to it than that. Another problem is users doing things that make getting viruses more likely. Many viruses come through email attachments so it's important to be careful about what email attachments you open.

Another big thing is the fact that many Windows users using XP are always operating as an administrator. Doing this makes it so that viruses have greater access to your machine and can do more harm. It is safer to operate as a restricted user and only be logged in as an administrator when you need to install/upgrade software. One of the main reasons why most XP machines are set up that way is that some Windows application programs are written in such a way that they won't work properly unless ran in administrator mode. This is really stupid security wise. None of the linux applications are like that, and I doubt that any MAC applications are either.

As I understand UAC, the way it works is that it operates under restricted user mode (where software can't be installed/upgraded), but before software is installed/upgraded, the user is prompted to get approval. This is certainly better than always operating as administrator (where software can be installed/upgraded) all the time. But again, the potential weakness of this is the user. If the user is in the habit of always accepting the install/upgrade, UAC won't help.
:namaste:
Last edited by Kyosan on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

alwayson wrote:I still don't understand why we are lumping all "Windows" into the same category.

Windows 7 is as secure as any other OS.
I doubt it but maybe they finally did a good thing this time around. If so it's only taken them, what, 21 years? And anyway, "as good as any other OS" ? That's not very good. So it's a race to the near-bottom?
edearl wrote: Linux security has features that make it inherently more secure than any MS Windows platform,
Unfortunately that's not saying much ....
and the difficulty of penetrating a Linux system keeps the number of viruses written for Linux few in number. I feel no need to have virus scan software on my Linux system.
No virus scan just means you are willing to accept the consequences if and when your machine is penetrated. It's not like Linux is that difficult to penetrate, it's just more difficult that Windows.

Computer security classes regularly demonstrate penetration techniques on Linux machines. I was shocked the first time I was successful with that on my machine.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

kirtu wrote:No virus scan just means you are willing to accept the consequences if and when your machine is penetrated. It's not like Linux is that difficult to penetrate, it's just more difficult that Windows.

Computer security classes regularly demonstrate penetration techniques on Linux machines. I was shocked the first time I was successful with that on my machine.

Kirt
Sure linux and it's applications have vulnerabilities. You can find lists of bug fixes on the Internet and among them you see fixes for vulnerabilities. Yet very few people use anti-virus software on linux. Even without using it, malware is less of a problem on linux. I've been using linux on my wives machine for 5 years and on my machine for 11 years and never had a problem. I think it's partially because more people are using Windows, which makes it a more attractive target. But that's not the whole story. From the very beginning Unix/linux developers took security more seriously than Windows developers and now Windows developers are playing catchup. Both linux and OS X were derived from Unix and are both following the good example of Unix and making security a high priority.
edearl

Post by edearl »

Kyosan wrote:
kirtu wrote:No virus scan just means you are willing to accept the consequences if and when your machine is penetrated. It's not like Linux is that difficult to penetrate, it's just more difficult that Windows.

Kirt
Sure linux and it's applications have vulnerabilities. You can find lists of bug fixes on the Internet and among them you see fixes for vulnerabilities. Yet very few people use anti-virus software on linux. Even without using it, malware is less of a problem on linux. I've been using linux on my wives machine for 5 years and on my machine for 11 years and never had a problem. I think it's partially because more people are using Windows, which makes it a more attractive target. But that's not the whole story. From the very beginning Unix/linux developers took security more seriously than Windows developers and now Windows developers are playing catchup. Both linux and OS X were derived from Unix and are both following the good example of Unix and making security a high priority.
Linux has vulnerabilities, but security updates are frequent and free. Moreover, if one only runs a personal user-id, instead of root (i.e., admin)--normal for Linux users--security breaches are very limited. One can disconnect from the internet to run root, which gives added protection. Any use of root while on the internet should be very limited.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."

Return to “Lounge”