Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Anything goes (almost).

Do you use: Linux, Mac, Windows or Other OS

Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Linux
6
24%
Mac
8
32%
Windows
10
40%
Other
1
4%
 
Total votes : 25

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby Kyosan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:06 am

maybay wrote:IE is the last program I'd try run on Wine, not least because browsers are cutting edge and security sensitive. Its also the last thing Microsoft designed it for. You'd need to check dll's carefully and understand a bit more about Wine than usual.

Better still, if you have more than 2gigs of RAM, install VirtualBox and setup Windows in that. USB support wasn't so good last time I checked.

By the way what format is the sutra in that it needs testing on IE? You got a link?

I have KVM installed and set up Windows 2K on that. But unfortunately Windows 2K can only support up to IE6 and I don't have a XP install disk. I did set up Windows 8 Developer Edition, which is free, on KVM and my sutra worked well on that. I did a post on this forum asking for people to test and some did. But since then I have made some changes to it. Here is a link to it:

http://www.nirvanasutra.net/convenient/complete-sutra.html
Kyosan
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: USA, Tucson

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby maybay » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Kyosan wrote:
maybay wrote:IE is the last program I'd try run on Wine, not least because browsers are cutting edge and security sensitive. Its also the last thing Microsoft designed it for. You'd need to check dll's carefully and understand a bit more about Wine than usual.

Better still, if you have more than 2gigs of RAM, install VirtualBox and setup Windows in that. USB support wasn't so good last time I checked.

By the way what format is the sutra in that it needs testing on IE? You got a link?

I have KVM installed and set up Windows 2K on that. But unfortunately Windows 2K can only support up to IE6 and I don't have a XP install disk. I did set up Windows 8 Developer Edition, which is free, on KVM and my sutra worked well on that. I did a post on this forum asking for people to test and some did. But since then I have made some changes to it. Here is a link to it:

http://www.nirvanasutra.net/convenient/complete-sutra.html

It looks fine.

http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/index.php
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
User avatar
maybay
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby maybay » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Namdrol wrote:The best Tibetan Font, Monlam, is part of the Mac OS 10 operating system. Why bother with WINE? Windows programs leak memory like crazy and generally slow down any system they run on. Also font technology in the Mac beats Windoes and Linux handily. The screen redraw programs on the Mac cannot be outdone by Windows or Linux.

I need to edit PDF, and mamipluate them. Even Preview, on the Mac, is inadequte for this task. Also Mac OS 10 Lion is like 30 bucks and can downloaded for one price on multiple machines.

The last thing I want to do is make people feel bad about money they've already spent, but if you're a scrooge like me living on the other side of crushing trade agreements with patent-mad service-based countries, Linux / BSD could use your vote. You'll be surprised whats available. Just don't expect it spoon fed through advertisements.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
User avatar
maybay
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby Kyosan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks for testing it maybay. And thanks for the link. I'll try the service.
:namaste:
Kyosan
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: USA, Tucson

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby alwayson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Any Windows lower than Windows 7 is complete crap.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with Service Pack 1.
alwayson
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby Malcolm » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 pm

alwayson wrote:Any Windows lower than Windows 7 is complete crap.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with Service Pack 1.



Revise that to "Any Windows is complete crap" and I will agree.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby LastLegend » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:10 pm

What's so bad about windows dude?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby alwayson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Namdrol wrote:
alwayson wrote:Any Windows lower than Windows 7 is complete crap.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with Service Pack 1.



Revise that to "Any Windows is complete crap" and I will agree.



Whats wrong with Windows 7?

I agree XP, Vista etc. are indeed crap.
alwayson
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby edearl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 am

alwayson wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Revise that to "Any Windows is complete crap" and I will agree.

Whats wrong with Windows 7?

I agree XP, Vista etc. are indeed crap.

Three things, security, security and security. Historically, Windows had nice features but was fragile so crashed too often, but now it is more reliable--and has even more nice features.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
User avatar
edearl
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: USA, Texas

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby LastLegend » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 am

AVG and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I just removed some trojans yesterday thanks to Malwarebytes.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby edearl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:55 am

According to G-Data (See: http://www.gdatasoftware.co.uk/about-g- ... ruses.html) there were more than a million new malware programs for Windows in the first half of 2010. According to Wikipedia (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware) during 2005 malware programs for Linux grew from 422 to 863.

If I had looked longer, I may have found statistics for Linux and Windows for the same dates, but to me it doesn't seem important.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
User avatar
edearl
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: USA, Texas

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby alwayson » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

I still don't understand why we are lumping all "Windows" into the same category.

Windows 7 is as secure as any other OS.

I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials for AV
alwayson
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby Malcolm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:36 pm

alwayson wrote:
Whats wrong with Windows 7?


The Windows part.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby Malcolm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:39 pm

alwayson wrote:
Windows 7 is as secure as any other OS.




No, it really isn't.

Compared to a Mac, security wise W7 is terrible.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby alwayson » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:47 pm

alwayson
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby Malcolm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:02 pm




MacDefender?

What a joke. There is one known exploit for the Mac, and it is more of a social engineering exploit than a true hack or malware -- it depends on the ignorance of someone to actually download a program and then physically give them a credit card number. This is not really a malware program. This is a fraud.

Really, this is the best that windows community can do in pointing out flaws in Mac Security?

If you want to know about ongoing issues for the mac, look here:

http://www.securemac.com/

You will see that by comparison, there are very few exploits against the mac, and virtually all require user permission to occur. This is not the case with Windows.

Remember, I was a professional Windows system engineer for several years working in high security environments such as Putnam Investments, Genuity, and so on. So I am not just talking idly.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby alwayson » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Namdrol wrote:and virtually all require user permission to occur. This is not the case with Windows.


Depends on the version. Windows 7 has UAC which I am sure you are aware of.

UAC prompts you every time some code wants to run.
alwayson
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby Malcolm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:34 pm

alwayson wrote:
Namdrol wrote:and virtually all require user permission to occur. This is not the case with Windows.


Depends on the version. Windows 7 has UAC which I am sure you are aware of.

UAC prompts you every time some code wants to run.



If this were true, there would not be so many holes in Windows.

Face it, Windows is designed to run in a trusted enterprise. It is not safe machine. I have run my mac, without firewall or any security on the net behind a standard NAT router and have never been hacked or even tickled for years.

No workstation mac has ever been hacked. Macs that have been hacked are webservers, and only because they are running some kind of webserver with outdated code. But the OS itself is very bullet proof unless you download something on purpose and install it, like mac defender.

You just cannot make the same claim with any version of Windows.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby wisdom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Like in many cases, we give up freedom for security.

Mac may be more secure, but there are far fewer variations available. When you look at things like the apps store you can see how much stricter (and therefore less free) Mac is vs. PC/Android. People who build gaming computers to my knowledge almost always do this with PCs, and most gamers own PCs and not Macs. Many games are released on Mac only after on PC. Everything Mac is more expensive. Mac is a single corporation, PC's can be (like a Dell computer), but often the parts and programs are all separate entities, so you have more choice in which companies, which hardware, and which software you want to have and support.

Basically as a Mac user you are a Mac user in its entirety, and must abide by the rules that Apple puts forth. As a PC user you can have thousands of permutations of hardware and software, and there really are no rules. You can build your own PC, have a warranty for each piece of hardware, and if any burns out you can just fix it yourself. No warranty is broken for fixing your own computer, which is cheaper and easier on every level if you know what you're doing. In terms of customization you can fit a TON Of things in a PC. Your expansion capabilities are also much higher. If you have a PC and a new better CPU comes out, you just buy a new motherboard/CPU, much cheaper than being forced to buy a whole new computer for only slightly more speed.

In terms of security a good anti-virus and spyware program, and a little forethought about what you are downloading and clicking on, will remove almost all potential security breaches from happening.
User avatar
wisdom
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:33 am

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Postby Malcolm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm

People use computers for three things:

Communications
Productivity
Entertainment


Most people have no need and do no want to tinker with their boxes. They just want a hassel free computer -- and for a hassle free computer, you cannot beat a mac.








wisdom wrote:Like in many cases, we give up freedom for security.

Mac may be more secure, but there are far fewer variations available. When you look at things like the apps store you can see how much stricter (and therefore less free) Mac is vs. PC/Android. People who build gaming computers to my knowledge almost always do this with PCs, and most gamers own PCs and not Macs. Many games are released on Mac only after on PC. Everything Mac is more expensive. Mac is a single corporation, PC's can be (like a Dell computer), but often the parts and programs are all separate entities, so you have more choice in which companies, which hardware, and which software you want to have and support.

Basically as a Mac user you are a Mac user in its entirety, and must abide by the rules that Apple puts forth. As a PC user you can have thousands of permutations of hardware and software, and there really are no rules. You can build your own PC, have a warranty for each piece of hardware, and if any burns out you can just fix it yourself. No warranty is broken for fixing your own computer, which is cheaper and easier on every level if you know what you're doing. In terms of customization you can fit a TON Of things in a PC. Your expansion capabilities are also much higher. If you have a PC and a new better CPU comes out, you just buy a new motherboard/CPU, much cheaper than being forced to buy a whole new computer for only slightly more speed.

In terms of security a good anti-virus and spyware program, and a little forethought about what you are downloading and clicking on, will remove almost all potential security breaches from happening.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

>