Social Typology Quiz

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Nicholas Weeks

Social Typology Quiz

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This quiz is shorter and the results are more interesting than that sophomoric quadrant quiz.

Here Pew breaks down folks into eight groups of about 10-12% each. Some are political party groups, some are not. Pew has done this typology survey four times before; the last time in 2005.

Will was Staunch Conservative, as expected. Where do you fit?

http://www.people-press.org/typology/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Social Typology Quiz

Post by kirtu »

Solid liberal 14% of population - but this quiz is also simplistically centered along DemRepub lines.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Even though I am not a Yank, this is my result:

Not exactly as I expected... guess I still got my indie kid lineage :( :( :(

Based on your responses, YOU are a…
Post-Modern
Along with 13% of the public

http://www.people-press.org/typology/quiz/?result" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
edearl

Post by edearl »

Post-modern; except:
1. I'm more than twice the age of most post-moderns.
2. I do not live in the Northeast or West
3. I do not use social networking, unless Dharma Wheel is social networking.
4. I do not regularly listen to NPR.
Maybe I'm just weird. :smile:
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Post-modern (dead - center, middle-of-the-road, I guess)

That makes 3 post-moderns in a row (probably won't happen again).
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

By not having middle point, these scales always force results... (this and the other)
Let me take it and take a laugh afterwards. :smile:

Well, being a Portuguese my results wouldn't be accurate. I think I have to answer based in what I know about USA politics...

OK, I'm a post-modern too. :lol: Make it 4.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Retook the test thinking in Portuguese reality.
From that perspective I would be a Solid Liberal. Reading the info about this group, I identify myself with it easier than with Post-Moderns. Funny... probably I don't know USA politics that well.
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Jeez, I thort u's a Yank!
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Nope. I'm from the other side of the pond. ;)
I'm standing in the exact opposite side of the world you're in. Portugal is the antipodes of New Zealand.
Check it: http://www.antipodemap.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

Post-Moderns
13% of the public

A few differences

What They Believe
Most (56%) say Wall Street helps the economy more than it hurts (I disagree, Wall Street is gambling based on emotional perceptions, its a farce)

Who They Are

A majority (58%) live in the suburbs (Been living in cities for 10 years)
63% use social networking (Eh, I'm on Facebook but could care less about any of it)
One-in-five regularly listen to NPR; 14% regularly watch The Daily Show (Do neither, I see all political media as pointless. I read different news sources, stay away from politics, and form my opinions and views based on what I see happening in the world, not based on what some guy on a television tells me I should believe. But I threw away my television when I was 16...)
palchi

Post by palchi »

Solid liberal here.... from a European perspective!
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Solid Liberal 14%. But this quiz I do not like because it is too narrowed.
It’s eye blinking.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

palchi wrote:Solid liberal here.... from a European perspective!
+1
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

solid liberal :group:
edearl

Post by edearl »

wisdom wrote:Post-Moderns
(Wall Street is gambling based on emotional perceptions, its a farce)
Life is a gamble with the odds stacked against you. People addicted to gambling will find somewhere to gamble, better it is legal gambling than illegal because the government gets taxes from legal gambling.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

edearl wrote:
Life is a gamble with the odds stacked against you. People addicted to gambling will find somewhere to gamble, better it is legal gambling than illegal because the government gets taxes from legal gambling.
As an avid sports gambler I strongly agree. Regardless of what people say it can be profitable for a lot players (like me) who take very calculated and smart risks as opposed to the junkies who just like getting that feeling of high (addiction gambling) and blow away all sorts of money. Same thing with alcohol, you have some people savor and enjoy it and some people who just abuse it. The choice is all yours.
edearl

Post by edearl »

Ryoto wrote:
edearl wrote:
As an avid sports gambler I strongly agree. Regardless of what people say it can be profitable for a lot players (like me) who take very calculated and smart risks as opposed to the junkies who just like getting that feeling of high (addiction gambling) and blow away all sorts of money. Same thing with alcohol, you have some people savor and enjoy it and some people who just abuse it. The choice is all yours.
I probably should not quibble, but I didn't say anything positive about gambling.

:soapbox: :offtopic: Legal gambling brings in taxes, which is better than illegal gambling, but both enable addicts, which is not good. Among the worst things a society can do is put addicts in prison for illegal gambling, illegal drug consumption, and other illegal addictive behaviors. Addicts putting themselves or others in danger must be controlled, but prison, which in this case exacerbates societal problems, is not the answer. If an addict must be removed from society, a hospital is a better, often less expensive, choice. But, most addicts can be treated as out-patients, attend meetings such as Alcoholics Anonymous, or both.

Return to “Lounge”