Awful bug

How can we improve this forum to better serve our members?

Awful bug

Postby catmoon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 am

There is a bug in the board that seems to arise when posts exceed a certain length. I use the quote feature, and begin adding text at the bottom. Suddenly, the board scrolls up to near the top of the post and the cursor appears at the bottom of the text window. I scroll down using the text bar, and it pops back again. I scroll back down, very quickly place the cursor and type a few characters and bang I'm again looking at the top of the post with the cursor blinking at the bottom of the window.

In the post I am currently working on the bug is so persistent and frequent I have been unable to complete the post.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Awful bug

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:54 am

catmoon wrote:There is a bug in the board that seems to arise when posts exceed a certain length. I use the quote feature, and begin adding text at the bottom. Suddenly, the board scrolls up to near the top of the post and the cursor appears at the bottom of the text window. I scroll down using the text bar, and it pops back again. I scroll back down, very quickly place the cursor and type a few characters and bang I'm again looking at the top of the post with the cursor blinking at the bottom of the window.

In the post I am currently working on the bug is so persistent and frequent I have been unable to complete the post.



I know this happens to me while the page is still loading up, which is slow due to quotes within quotes etc.

Try deleting the older quotes and just leave the latest, the one you are directly answering. That usually works for me.

If it persists let Retro know as I think he and Laura can adjust settings etc.

I know people have complained of something similar at FreeSangha.
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Awful bug

Postby catmoon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:16 pm

I wonder if the board is trying to put up some kind of warning about multiple concatenated quotes, but the warning isn't showing and the post is scrolling up to the top as part of the warning process...
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Awful bug

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:26 pm

catmoon wrote:I wonder if the board is trying to put up some kind of warning about multiple concatenated quotes, but the warning isn't showing and the post is scrolling up to the top as part of the warning process...



It could be. A warning for that certainly pops up in PM's on some boards.
Doesn't it happen at the point of sending the PM, though, rather than when entering text?
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Awful bug

Postby catmoon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Yeshe wrote:

It could be. A warning for that certainly pops up in PM's on some boards.
Doesn't it happen at the point of sending the PM, though, rather than when entering text?


Yes quite correct. The possibilities remain: that the warning is switchable and the board is trying and failing to insert it due to moderator instructions, that the board is erroneously trying to insert it due to a programming defect, that the board is trying to insert a warning about something else, and that the cause is something else entirely.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Awful bug

Postby catmoon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Oh, and you still have a chicken nesting on your head. Why is that?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Awful bug

Postby Clueless Git » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:38 am

catmoon wrote:Oh, and you still have a chicken nesting on your head. Why is that?

:rolling:

Anyways ... Yes I've seen that bug too!

I just took to doing long posts in notepad and then copying & pasting from there :sage:
Clueless Git
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:30 am

Re: Awful bug

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:57 am

catmoon wrote:Oh, and you still have a chicken nesting on your head. Why is that?



One of the magnificent Welsh eccentrics - Dr William Price of Llantrissant. A Chartist and political activist. Perhaps best known for often wandering around naked, and fathering a child at the age of 93 with his 19 year old wife, and his activities as a high-ranking Druid.

Why famous? The child, who he named Jesus Christ, died and Price held a funeral and cremation. The reason for his fame is that he single-handedly brought about a change in the law which made cremation legal in the UK.

I was reminded of him as the Hindus have now secured the right to outdoor cremations in the UK.

So if you can't afford India and need a charnel ground to visit, there may well be one here soon! :)
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Awful bug

Postby Annapurna » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 am

I don't have that bug.
User avatar
Annapurna
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Awful bug

Postby catmoon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Annapurna wrote:I don't have that bug.


I'll see if I can get you a chicken.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Awful bug

Postby catmoon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Yeshe wrote:
catmoon wrote:Oh, and you still have a chicken nesting on your head. Why is that?



One of the magnificent Welsh eccentrics - Dr William Price of Llantrissant. A Chartist and political activist. Perhaps best known for often wandering around naked, and fathering a child at the age of 93 with his 19 year old wife, and his activities as a high-ranking Druid.

Why famous? The child, who he named Jesus Christ, died and Price held a funeral and cremation. The reason for his fame is that he single-handedly brought about a change in the law which made cremation legal in the UK.

I was reminded of him as the Hindus have now secured the right to outdoor cremations in the UK.

So if you can't afford India and need a charnel ground to visit, there may well be one here soon! :)


what a tale! And I suppose it really isnt a chicken is it?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Awful bug

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:41 pm

catmoon wrote:
Yeshe wrote:
catmoon wrote:Oh, and you still have a chicken nesting on your head. Why is that?


One of the magnificent Welsh eccentrics - Dr William Price of Llantrissant. A Chartist and political activist. Perhaps best known for often wandering around naked, and fathering a child at the age of 93 with his 19 year old wife, and his activities as a high-ranking Druid.

Why famous? The child, who he named Jesus Christ, died and Price held a funeral and cremation. The reason for his fame is that he single-handedly brought about a change in the law which made cremation legal in the UK.

I was reminded of him as the Hindus have now secured the right to outdoor cremations in the UK.

So if you can't afford India and need a charnel ground to visit, there may well be one here soon! :)


what a tale! And I suppose it really isnt a chicken is it?




Druidic fox head-dress. I met quite a few Welsh eccentrics while I was there, but I would have loved to meet him. LOL :) :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Price_%28doctor%29

I also met an Athelstan_Price whose family apparently own Long Island which the USA stole from them. There is an ongoing court action. The family traces back to King Athelstan. Mad, but endearing.

And 'Ralph the Books' - a friend of Dylan Thomas who kept a huge stock of porn behind the room full of Bibles in his bookshop. I used to see all these men disappear upstairs - it took me months to work out that the Bibles were not the main attraction.

With such people as an early influence, is it any wonder I'm weird?!
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Awful bug

Postby catmoon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Yeshe wrote:
With such people as an early influence, is it any wonder I'm weird?!



I will say a few mantras on your behalf. Lemme see now (flip flip flip) mantras for warding Welsh weirdness... hmmm.... (flip flip) nope, maybe the other books have something... purifying patagonian petulance... nope... purging prescient Prussian prophets.... that might apply!



And you thought YOU were weird :tongue: :woohoo:
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Awful bug

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:54 pm

catmoon wrote:
Yeshe wrote:
With such people as an early influence, is it any wonder I'm weird?!



I will say a few mantras on your behalf. Lemme see now (flip flip flip) mantras for warding Welsh weirdness... hmmm.... (flip flip) nope, maybe the other books have something... purifying patagonian petulance... nope... purging prescient Prussian prophets.... that might apply!



And you thought YOU were weird :tongue: :woohoo:


Is there a Buddhist equivalent of St. Jude, patron saint of 'lost causes' I wonder?


We should now have created the causes and conditions for the forum bug to depart - screaming. LOL :)

In the meantime I guess it is safest to hit the 'Post Reply' button instead of the 'Quote' button and begin with the name of the person you are responding to, so they can tie it in to the thread. I will consult some chicken gizzards for a solution. ;)
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Awful bug

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:54 am

catmoon wrote:
Yeshe wrote:
With such people as an early influence, is it any wonder I'm weird?!



I will say a few mantras on your behalf. Lemme see now (flip flip flip) mantras for warding Welsh weirdness... hmmm.... (flip flip) nope, maybe the other books have something... purifying patagonian petulance... nope... purging prescient Prussian prophets.... that might apply!



And you thought YOU were weird :tongue: :woohoo:


:rolling:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm


Return to Suggestion Box

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

cron
>