Democracy in the country that gave birth to democracy

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Malcolm

Re: Democracy in the country that gave birth to democracy

Post by Malcolm »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
Namdrol wrote:And yes, corporations are evil and they are basically sociopaths and serial killers.
That is the most paranoid, deranged, pathologically insane thing I have ever heard anyone say on these boards.

Funny you post that -- you really want me to go through the list of labor, environmental, health and so on abuses of the corporate groups that produce all those commodities?

Just take ALCOA -- it has one of the worst pollution records. In addition, The Brazilian government used Agent Orange to defoliate a large section of the Amazon rainforest so that Alcoa could build the Tucuruí dam to power mining operations. Large areas of rainforest were destroyed, along with the homes and livelihoods of thousands of rural peasants and indigenous tribes. They run terrible sweatshops Mexico and elsewhere: http://www.globallabourrights.org/reports?id=0220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could go on.

They are all evil bastards.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Namdrol wrote:They are all evil bastards.
So instead of using a computer made by a corporation, using a server run by a corporation over a phone line run by a corporation, using electricity produced by a corporation, generated by power administered by a corporation, from oil mined by a corporation, strip naked and wear a grass skirt and walk to me to deliver your messages to me on tree bark. That way I'd respect your outrage.
Last edited by Karma Dondrup Tashi on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

I agree with Namdrol that military spending in America needs to be cut by 90%

I also agree that we need more taxes on the super rich............IF balanced by lower corporates taxes (something which even Bill Clinton is campaigining for).
Last edited by alwayson on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Namdrol wrote: It would certainly result in less wars.

George W Bush was mentally retarted.

Since most of Al Quada are Arabs we should have invaded the Saudia Arabian penninsula, not Afghanistan.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Namdrol wrote:They are all evil bastards.
So instead of using a computer made by a corporation, using a server run by a corporation over a phone line run by a corporation, using electricity produced by a corporation, generated by power administered by a corporation, from oil mined by a corporation, strip naked and wear a grass skirt and walk to me to deliver your messages to me on tree bark. That way I'd respect your outrage.

tried it, no one listened.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Namdrol wrote:You will be moved like cattle into large cities, warrens, really ...
Uh this already happened it was called the industrial revolution.

Oh yeah I forgot, cities. Cities bad. Calhoun's rats. Dark Satanic Mills. Cities bad. All that. Got it. Check. Roger.

It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Namdrol wrote:
That is because you are not paying attention to your world.

Really?

Because I went on a jog today, and I didn't see anyone resorting to cannabilism in the park.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Namdrol wrote:It would certainly result in less wars.
Oh ya and wars. Right. Cause Libertarians love wars. Like, you know, Ron Paul wants to stay in Iraq forever and thought it was a really good idea to invade. Right. Forgot. Sorry. Check check.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Namdrol wrote:You will be moved like cattle into large cities, warrens, really ...

Oh yeah I forgot, cities. Cities bad. Calhoun's rats. Dark Satanic Mills. Cities bad. All that. Got it. Check. Roger.

Large cities are pretty horrible, most of them. They smell bad, they are polluted, people who live in them tend to be pretty stressed out.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Namdrol wrote:Also, at a certain point, the point by point becomes tedious bullshit.
Especially when you have all the answers. Got it.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Oh ya and wars. Right. Cause Libertarians love wars. Like, you know, Ron Paul wants to stay in Iraq forever and thought it was a really good idea to invade. Right. Forgot. Sorry. Check check.
War is a result of unimpeded capitalism. Wars are fought because it is profitable. When libertarian capitialist see there is more profit in a war than in peace, they will go to war likety split.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Namdrol wrote:Also, at a certain point, the point by point becomes tedious bullshit.
Basically, I detest Ayn Rand. She was an evil bitch. She worshipped serial killers. Milton Friedman was her minion. Ron Paul named his kid Rand. Need I say more?
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Where are the impoverished masses resorting to cannibalism?

Like I said before, most "poor" people in America have air conditioning, a fridge, XBOX 360, DVD player, flat screens etc.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

alwayson wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Dude, you just don't get it -- Wii etc., cheap electronic gadgets are just crack to keep the increasingly impovrished masses passive, bovine and content.

Where are these impoverished masses LOL

????
Take a walk down most Manhattan streets, come to Dupont Circle in DC, or find homeless camps in Northern Virginia. Where do you live? I'll come up and show you. In California some of those homeless camps are on the map now because school districts have to send school buses there.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Namdrol wrote:
War is a result of unimpeded capitalism. Wars are fought because it is profitable. When libertarian capitialist see there is more profit in a war than in peace, they will go to war likety split.
Hence all the armies, navies and fighter jets with Starbucks, Canon, Macy's, IBM, Microsoft, Merck, etc, logos on them. Check.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hence all the armies, navies and fighter jets with Starbucks, Canon, Macy's, IBM, Microsoft, Merck, etc, logos on them. Check.
Well, had you studied history, you would have read about the Marine General, who upon retiring, detailed all the American adventures in Central America and elsewhere that he fought for Dole, etc.

Or the perhaps you recall the Allende government that was undermined by the CIA because Allende was going to nationalize the mines. ALCOA had a hand in that and benefitted mightly.

I could do on. The fact is that we do engage in military adventures precisely to benefit US corporations. Now that we have international corporations, we use NATO.

Lockheed Martin would be the logo you are thinking of, BTW.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote:

Large cities are pretty horrible, most of them. They smell bad, they are polluted, people who live in them tend to be pretty stressed out.
Paris, Amsterdam, Masstricht, Bonn, Vienna, Koeln, Nuernberg, Regensburg, Munich, DC, NYC, Alexandria VA, and many other cities are increasingly nice and liveable. They are increasingly less polluted, have a more educated population and people work hard to fix problems. Once of their main problems is that adolescents are exploited in various ways due to the double header of sexual freedom and the breakdown of the family. Crime does also persist but this is more because people have been deprived of opportunities. These cities and many more are increasingly lovely. But we still have to solve the problems of inequity and access to basic resources. People being stressed out is a problem but that is often from employment issues. Cities provide a good place to educate and unleash the creativity of the people to transform the world in positive ways. And many cities are now more nature friendly with abundant nature either in the cities and/or very close to them.

IOW things have been and are getting better for most people in cities.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Only a matter of time.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

alwayson wrote:Where are the impoverished masses resorting to cannibalism?

Like I said before, most "poor" people in America have air conditioning, a fridge, XBOX 360, DVD player, flat screens etc.
Gadgets bought on credit cards are not wealth.

N
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Namdrol wrote:
Basically, I detest Ayn Rand. She was an evil bitch. She worshipped serial killers. Milton Friedman was her minion. Ron Paul named his kid Rand. Need I say more?
Yeah well hey if that's what you mean by point by point I can understand why you think it would be tedious bullshit.

Return to “Lounge”