Retrogressive rebirth

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Retrogressive rebirth

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Where is there evidence that it is possible to be reborn in a lower state, that is, as an animal or plant? I am not interested in the lamas or monks - I mean evidence from the ancient sources - the sutras or Upanishads.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Re: Retrogressive rebirth

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Karma Dondrup Tashi,

I don't think there is anything really old about being reborn as a plant, as plants are not recognised as sentient beings.

The closest I can think of is the notion of "delivering the last blade of grass" from samsara to nirvana.

Delivering the Last Blade of Grass
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-EPT/harry.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... though I'm not certain of the origin of this expression - hopefully someone here can help.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

"Apparently, headman, I haven't been able to get past you by saying, 'Enough, headman, put that aside. Don't ask me that.' So I will simply answer you. When a warrior strives & exerts himself in battle, his mind is already seized, debased, & misdirected by the thought: 'May these beings be struck down or slaughtered or annihilated or destroyed. May they not exist.' If others then strike him down & slay him while he is thus striving & exerting himself in battle, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the hell called the realm of those slain in battle. But if he holds such a view as this: 'When a warrior strives & exerts himself in battle, if others then strike him down & slay him while he is striving & exerting himself in battle, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of devas slain in battle,' that is his wrong view. Now, there are two destinations for a person with wrong view, I tell you: either hell or the animal womb."

Yodhajiva Sutta: To Yodhajiva (The Warrior)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Upanishads are not considered canonical in Buddhism.

But Buddha spoke of the lower realms which include the animal realm, hell and other such undesirable locations.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Interesting thank you.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”