Shrine?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Shrine?

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Do you maintain a personal shrine? Is it important or precious you?

If you're comfortable doing so, please post a picture if you like! :)
I love looking at shrines.

Best,
Laura
Virgo

Re: Shrine?

Post by Virgo »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Do you maintain a personal shrine? Is it important or precious you?

If you're comfortable doing so, please post a picture if you like! :)
I love looking at shrines.

Best,
Laura
If you look at my shrine, your eyes might burn and you might be reborn in a cremation ground practicing on various wrathful buddhas.

Keivn
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Do you maintain a personal shrine? Is it important or precious you?
Yes. I love shrines. Mine doesn't really follow Tibetan convention though. However my cats also had a relationship with it so that's good.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Oddly I've always maintained one ever since I was small. Mine does not follow Tibetan convention either.

:heart:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I make offerings, burn incense, light candles and meditate in front of here.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I keep a spartan shrine. Wish I had a camera to show you.

There's a nice buddha, some Dharma books and a stand-in for a stupa on the top shelf.

Down below are 3 candles, an incense burner (tower type, polished sandstone) a water offering bowl, and some stones. Once is a piece of rounded jadelike material, and on it sits a small piece of fluorite I bought at a gem show. Surrounding them is a semicircle of little bits of agate I have found over the years.

Strangely, when the center candle is behind the fluorite (a transparent green stone) an image of a seated Buddha can be seen in the refracted light.

There is a problem. I'm told a Buddha statue should not be placed low in the room, so it sits at about eye height for a short person. When seated on the floor before the shrine, that puts the statue at a neck-cracking height. Meanwhile I'm told the right place to look while meditating is on the floor about three feet in front of you, so I can't see the Buddha, the candles or anything but some carpet and cabinet doors.
Last edited by catmoon on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

This is a grainy pic of my work in progress:

N.B. There are 2 Vajrapanis on there as somehow I managed to buy 2, but as they look a little different I kept them both.
Left

Return to “Lounge”