shingon info

gingercatni

shingon info

Post by gingercatni »

Hello

Can anyone advise me on a book or website that details shingon practices? I have of late been pursuing the pureland teachings but cannot connect to this school in anyway, I would like to learn about shingon and see if this is something I do connect with before I give up completely. Thanks.
LastLegend

Re: shingon info

Post by LastLegend »

Poor girl. I hope everything works out for you.

Take care.
It’s eye blinking.
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

The book "Shingon: Japanese Esoteric Buddhism" written by Taikō Yamasaki (Abbot of Jōkō-in in Kobe) is a good introduction to Shingon thought and ritual/practice. But most Shingon ritual cannot be done by uninitiated lay followers. The practice for lay followers of Shingon in Japan will mostly consist of recitations of Sutras for which no initiation is necessary. For these practices I would recommend the book "Shingon Esoteric Buddhism. A Handbook for Followers" written by Yūsei Arai (Abbot of Kōyasan Shingonshū). You can also take a look at the website of the Shingon Buddhist International Institute.
(How did you realise, that Pureland is not for you and what kind of Buddhist practice are you interested in?)
jikai

Post by jikai »

gingercatni wrote:Hello

Can anyone advise me on a book or website that details shingon practices? I have of late been pursuing the pureland teachings but cannot connect to this school in anyway, I would like to learn about shingon and see if this is something I do connect with before I give up completely. Thanks.
No matter what, don't forget one of the Golden rules :) :
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting"

I don't mean to 'blow my own horn' here but perhaps if your having trouble finding the right school for you, you might like to try a particularly eclectic school like Tendai atleast initially? in order to 'flesh out' what feels right for you. Samsara can be difficult, but it's important not to give up :) The very nature of this world is 'oppressive', this is Samsara. BUT remember, as Zhiyi (the Chinese founder of Tendai Buddhism) said in his MakaShikan: "Even a beggining practitioner becomes a refuge for the world if he has understood the meaning..."

If you give up, not only will you continue to suffer in Samsara but you will also deny those around you to 'glimpse the Buddha' :) never give up!
gassho
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Ginger Cat & I,

I hope you find a situation in which you can learn and practice authentic Buddhism. I'm not sure where you are geographically (US? UK? &c); your best approach may be simply to find a teacher you can work with, rather than making the tradition or body of doctrine the primary concern.

Shingon-shu is a proven path and it may be the way for you. Or it may be a Nyingmapa teacher, or Tendai, or... who knows? Finding a learning situation is the main criterion.

I wish you all the best. Persevere!
jikai

Post by jikai »

Jikan wrote:Hi Ginger Cat & I,

I hope you find a situation in which you can learn and practice authentic Buddhism. I'm not sure where you are geographically (US? UK? &c); your best approach may be simply to find a teacher you can work with, rather than making the tradition or body of doctrine the primary concern.

Shingon-shu is a proven path and it may be the way for you. Or it may be a Nyingmapa teacher, or Tendai, or... who knows? Finding a learning situation is the main criterion.

I wish you all the best. Persevere!
well put Jikan :)
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

jikai wrote: I don't mean to 'blow my own horn' ....
Toot toot! :tongue:
plwk

Post by plwk »

BUT remember, as Zhiyi (the Chinese founder of Tendai Buddhism)...
If I recall my own past reading...the Tian Tai Sect was founded during the Sui Dynasty with the establishment of the Guo Qing Monastery in today's Tiantai County in Taizhou City, in eastern Zhejiang Province. Nagarjuna was attributed to be its Founder and Hui Wen with his student Hui Sze being nos. 2 & 3 respectively in line and Zhi Yi coming in as the 4th and its most 'famed' patriarch...

To the OP: Try this and this
jikai

Post by jikai »

plwk wrote:
BUT remember, as Zhiyi (the Chinese founder of Tendai Buddhism)...
If I recall my own past reading...the Tian Tai Sect was founded during the Sui Dynasty with the establishment of the Guo Qing Monastery in today's Tiantai County in Taizhou City, in eastern Zhejiang Province. Nagarjuna was attributed to be its Founder and Hui Wen with his student Hui Sze being nos. 2 & 3 respectively in line and Zhi Yi coming in as the 4th and its most 'famed' patriarch...

Indeed, Nargajuna, Hui Wen and Hui Ssu are the initial 'founders' of Tendai/Tian Tai Buddhist philosophy and in that respect you are correct. However, 'officially' the sect itself was not created until Zhiyi. What I mean by this is that Zhiyi sytematically taught the idea's expounded by the previous patriarchs and elaborated/adapted them. Also, until Zhiyi no monks would have referred to themselves as members of 'Tian Tai Zong' (Tian Tai sect). Hope that clarifies what i meant a bit more clearly :) .
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)

Return to “Shingon”