Thinking of Ordaining

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Thinking of Ordaining

Postby AdmiralJim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi guys,
After a few years of walking the path I think I have decided to ordain once I have completed my Ngondro. I have a bank loan to pay off which will take about 5/6 years. I wonder if anyone here would be willing to give me advice in relation to this thanks...............
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
AdmiralJim

Re: Thinking of Ordaining

Postby Kyosan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Congratulations for your decision to ordain. :applause:

What kind of loan is it? If the loan is holding you back, is it possible to pay off?
:namaste:
Kyosan

Postby AdmiralJim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Congratulations for your decision to ordain.

What kind of loan is it? If the loan is holding you back, is it possible to pay off?

Thank you for your kind words. It is a standard bank loan I took out when I was a student, I have already paid about 20% of it off already. The loan is holding me back a little but at least it will give me more time to practice and stick to my decision. I only work part time so I am looking for a full time job. I am almost finished a 3 year home dharma course and I am keen to teach at a local group but I am really nervous. One of the reasons I am looking foward to/thinking about ordaining is it will enable me to do chartiable work without worrying about all the material stuff!! I am lucky in that I have a supportive family in fact my mum even suggested I become a monk lol, I was even surprised because my mum told me she thought about becoming a nun ( catholic ) many years ago.
AdmiralJim

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:13 pm

If you're not read Thubten Chodron's writings about getting ordained, then it's worth having a look: http://www.thubtenchodron.org/BuddhistN ... Ordination

There's also a lot of stuff out there from the Theravada tradition about ordination. I really like Yuttadhammo's blog and YouTube videos: http://yuttadhammo.sirimangalo.org/

Which lineage etc. would you be ordaining with?
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul
Global Moderator

Postby Thug4lyfe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Congradulations!!! May you be a field of merit for sentient beings!!!
Thug4lyfe

Postby Kyosan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:41 pm

AdmiralJim wrote:
Congratulations for your decision to ordain.

Thank you for your kind words. It is a standard bank loan I took out when I was a student, I have already paid about 20% of it off already. The loan is holding me back a little but at least it will give me more time to practice and stick to my decision. I only work part time so I am looking for a full time job. I am almost finished a 3 year home dharma course and I am keen to teach at a local group but I am really nervous. One of the reasons I am looking foward to/thinking about ordaining is it will enable me to do chartiable work without worrying about all the material stuff!! I am lucky in that I have a supportive family in fact my mum even suggested I become a monk lol, I was even surprised because my mum told me she thought about becoming a nun ( catholic ) many years ago.

It's tough, since it's a student load there is no equity.

Would you be staying in Scotland or moving somewhere else when you become ordained? If you are moving somewhere else and they speak a different language, you'll have plenty of time to learn that language.

It's great that your family is so supportive.
:namaste:
Kyosan

Postby AdmiralJim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:19 pm

I am not sure what tradition I have the most experience of the Karma Kagyu tibetan tradition but I am not averse to zen and I like the Theravadin approach also
AdmiralJim

Postby AdmiralJim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Thank you for the links they are very helpful! I am also willing to travel anywhere to find a teacher....................
AdmiralJim

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:44 pm

AdmiralJim wrote:I am not sure what tradition I have the most experience of the Karma Kagyu tibetan tradition but I am not averse to zen and I like the Theravadin approach also

One thing to bear in mind might be that you often see Theravadan monks at teachings in the Tibetan tradition etc. - so being ordained in one school doesn't actually limit you at all in the teachings you might study, although of course it would mean deviating from your sangha's conventional curriculum.
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul
Global Moderator

Return to Personal Experience