Debunking Homeopathy

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Tilopa

Re: Debunking Homeopathy

Post by Tilopa »

LastLegend wrote:Diseases come from eating......
Nothing to do with karma then?
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Tilopa wrote:
LastLegend wrote:Diseases come from eating......
Nothing to do with karma then?
If the mind is pure, the body will consume less. And an unpure mind consumes more. Eating a lot and unhealthy food will create conditions that will cause diseases. And an unpure mind will bring diseases-and the number 1 disease is attachment.

Some conditions cannot be cured. That comes from karma. There are illnesses as a consequence of killing sentient beings.

The main sickness we all have is attachment. From this attachment brings all problems.
It’s eye blinking.
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

I am pleased to report that no one who overdosed on homeopathic 'remedies' has expired
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Paul

Post by Paul »

AdmiralJim wrote:I am pleased to report that no one who overdosed on homeopathic 'remedies' has expired
That's because they took too much.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Paul wrote:
AdmiralJim wrote:I am pleased to report that no one who overdosed on homeopathic 'remedies' has expired
Lolz this one should be framed. Winner of the Catmoon Cutting Remark of the Week Award.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Paul wrote:
Right, well he did OD. But then he kept taking it, which healed his overdose. :)

Kevin
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Well I'm glad to see that nothing positive came out of that situation.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

I myself have a medical degree and have conducted medical studies in cancer genetics to say that it could be beneficial when something is just at the in vitro stage is highly irresponsible
The study noted an effect from an infinitesmal dilution against breast cancer cells in vitro, which according to the standard (allopathic) theory of pharmacy, should not occur. And it is interesting for that reason, not because it was a proposed treatment for cancer.

And might the fact that you are an allopathic MD reason you found all the studies of homeopathy "incredibly flawed?" Should we expect a Chevy car dealer to give a fair opinion of the value of a Ford?
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

[quote][Well I'm glad to see that nothing positive came out of that situation./quote]
Something positive did come out of it, people should stop wasting their money on homeopathic remedies.
As for what you Jinzang says, so western medical doctors cannot be impartial scientists then? , i am not biased i only look at the available evidence. only 'holistic therapists' are able to act in that manner - pull the other one mate and go reiki your cat or something. i am not sympathetic to homeopathy in the slightest but i actually recommend acupuncture for patients with incurable rheumatic conditions
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

AdmiralJim wrote:Something positive did come out of it, people should stop wasting their money on homeopathic remedies.
Yes I am sure that after the abovementioned stunt the whole world will stop using homeopathic medicines.

Thank you very much Admiral Jim and I sincerely hope that your next attempt at overdosing on homeopathic medicines proves just as fruitful.
:namaste:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

As for what you Jinzang says, so western medical doctors cannot be impartial scientists then?
Someone with an economic interest in the outcome of a study will have a hard time being impartial. Alternative medicine is an economic competitor to allopathic medicine to the extent that an allopathic doctor cannot adopt it without retraining.
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

Oh dear greg! I better give up being a vegetarian in the off chance that someone might eat meat again! Oh I better give up this whole buddhism thing in the off chance beings might still suffer! Get real.
Someone with an economic interest in the outcome of a study will have a hard time being impartial. Alternative medicine is an economic competitor to allopathic medicine to the extent that an allopathic doctor cannot adopt it without retraining.
Jinzang this is true of alternative therapists to, so they can't be imparial about allopathic medicine, oh dear, so guess we will just have to make the best of a bad job :shrug:
You clearly understand nothing about the British health system I have to evaluate papers on a weekly basis to find which treatments are most effective and cost effective, so your arguement doesnt hold much I am afraid, especially as it makes no economic difference to me because all treatment is free!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

AdmiralJim wrote:Oh dear greg! I better give up being a vegetarian in the off chance that someone might eat meat again! Oh I better give up this whole buddhism thing in the off chance beings might still suffer! Get real.
For some personal reason you have a bee in your bonnet (aversion) to homeopathic medicine and you start a crusade against it expecting that people (for whom homeopathic medicines have worked, even at the level of a placebo) are gonna stop using them? I think you may have to try something a little better than trying to OD on homeopathic medicines in public to pull that off!

AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

I don't have a bee in my bonnet about it, I have a bee in my bonnet about the british national health system funding it, if people want to buy placebo water then go right ahead, i personally would advice sugar pills as they are a bit cheaper
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Fair enough, but you are going about it the wrong way. I mean taking an OD of homeopathic medicine and not dying from it just proves one thing: that you cannot OD on homeopathic medicine. (though I wouldn't reccomend OD'ing on the sulphur they reccomend for thyroid problems, that could be a little nasty.

And anyway, you can't OD on sage tea either but everybody knows it is an effective decongestant. Just coz you can't OD on something doesn't mean it ain't effective. Like I said, you are just going about it totally wrong.

AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

HI greg,
I have no trouble admitting the OD thing is a gimmick but it was for publicity, if you look up basic chemistry ( avagadros constant ) you will see at the dilutions they have it isnt possible to have any active any ingredient so i wouldn't be worried about overdosing on 'sulphur'. I am actually part of a poltical group lobbying the british goverment to get rid of NHS homeopathic treatments, it infuriates me that patients cannot get for examply IVF treatment ( for valid fertility problems) on the nhs but the budget for homeopathy is increasing when all other budgets are being cut!!
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

the {NHS] budget for homeopathy is increasing
This is not at all true. The budget for homeopathy has been cut to a fraction of what is was, something skeptics crow about.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Jinzang this is true of alternative therapists to, so they can't be imparial about allopathic medicine
Of course. Practitioners of alternative medicine are going to be biased in favor of their specialties and allopathic doctors in favor of allopathy. It's like choosing the computer language for a new program. You'll choose the language you are familiar with, even if it isn't the best.

There *is* an objective answer, but asking a practitioner to evaluate the evidence is not the best way to find out what it is. Even though you are paid by the NHS, you are paid to practice your allopathic specialty. If a homeopathic practitioner or an acupuncturist were to get better results with their specialties, you would not be the best person to evaluate the evidence.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

One last point. Critics of homeopathy on the NHS assume that if funding for homeopathy were cut, more money would be available for other purposes. But the opposite is true. Patients on the NHS are treated by homeopathy at *lower* cost than patients with similar complaints who use allopathy. Given that the patients will be treated by allopathy if they can't receive homeopathy, *less* money will be available.
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

Who would be the best person to evaluate the evidence then? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............? As for this thing about less money being available at least the treatment will be effective, in the end requiring less treatment. I dread to think about the treatment of Graves disease by a homeopathic quacktitioner

Return to “Lounge”