Killing Insects and Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Killing Insects and Buddhism

Post by DNS »

All intentional killing results in negative karma. But the weight and effect is different, mostly by size.

Insects and pest control
Merely Labeled

Post by Merely Labeled »

Great thread. Last year we had two rats coming each night onto the rooftop. We caught them in cages and put them out in a field nearby. The only thing was that we had to catch them separately. If they were a couple (it looked very much so), they might have lost contact afterwards. :rolling:

I support a street dog since August. Amazing what experiences and challenges come with it. He clearly was a pet dog at some point and was put out on the streets. Wish my family would support me more in this. He is quite big and everybody is scared of him. Let`s see how this adventure goes on.

ML
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

David N. Snyder wrote:All intentional killing results in negative karma. But the weight and effect is different, mostly by size.

Insects and pest control
"killing an animal is a far less serious offence (Pacittiya 62), on a par with insulting someone, idle chatter and having a non-regulation size sitting mat."

This might come as a shocker for a lot of folks here.
edearl

Post by edearl »

:offtopic: Is there a Buddhist position on killing microbes, such as bacteria, algae, viruses, etc.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Well, I think those beings aren't considered sentient. If memory doesn't fail me, Buddha spoke of beings as small as a grain of mustard. We don't need to be literal here, but I doubt we can apply our concept of sentience to bacteria and other microorganisms. Besides, we don't have much of a choice, have we? ;)
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

I thought the definition of sentience was something is sentient if it is moving around. Although I guess that is kind of useless since nothing is ever still, even atoms.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Sentient..by my take anything that may be able to suffer..usually that means anything with some type of aversion or attachment response, something that eats and avoids in some manner discomfort.

Trees for instance are not thought of as being suffering things.
Maybe they are but most say no.

As a aside I do this though it makes not much sense(I also sing dharma songs to cows and things :smile: )..so consider the source.

I care not if I don't intend to kill but kill(the things suffer)....so weeding out a garden or some such driving killing some bugs...it is said that if a being hears the name of buddha ratnaketu upon their dying they will enter as consequence upon rebirth this place of purity a pureland. So if I do such things even unintentionally I will say this name so they may have a fortunate rebirth.
If I kill a larger animal I will do powah if I may.....squirrels and all sorts of things are ending up in purelands and it is me sending them there... :rolling:
I wonder if they wonder how come that place is getting so crowded :smile:

Anyway it is the least I can do...consequence upon me as it is not intended..... my consequence is always present and undeniable.... it is my sorrow for creating their fearful death. That there is no consequence is in error to my opinion even if not consciously intended things.
I intend its continuance by not becoming enlightened and thusly continuing to participate in this place where things may kill and be killed....it is all intentional to my opinion.....we must work to not participate in this fashion and become enlightened.

Otherwise we intend it but in subtle fashion.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”