Cooking advice

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Thug4lyfe

Cooking advice

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Any good cooks on here? Just wondering if anyone's got good suggestions for onion and garlic substitutes for dishes. I am refraining from the 5 pungent herbs if i can!
justsit

Re: Cooking advice

Post by justsit »

Yes! Try asafoetida, also known in Indian cooking as hing.
It stinks to high heaven in the jar, but once it hits that hot oil, it magically becomes garlic and onions. Who would think?
Be sure use a jar with a tight fitting lid, and store it away from other spices, it will overwhelm them. I keep mine in the shed.
Seriously.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

justsit wrote:Yes! Try asafoetida, also known in Indian cooking as hing.
It stinks to high heaven in the jar, but once it hits that hot oil, it magically becomes garlic and onions. Who would think?
Be sure use a jar with a tight fitting lid, and store it away from other spices, it will overwhelm them. I keep mine in the shed.
Seriously.

NO...hing/asafoetida is also forbidden. (If you want to avoid these types of foods & adhere to this rule)
http://www.ymba.org/bns/bnsframe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chives would probebly be considered part of this family (?)

Just forget about onions and garlicly stuff.....think about how fresh you'll smell & less passion.....lol

Sorry (Justsit)if I seem overtly passionate in this post...I consume a lot of onion, garlic, & hing. I have lost my sex drive too...so I don't know about that one (onions & garlic causing sexual arousal). But I do have lots of passion/fire in me.

BTW..I LOVE hing...I cook lots of Indian food (authentic)

I live in a shed.

Food_Eatah...

This lady is awesome...see if there's anything here you'd like to make :

http://www.youtube.com/user/Manjulaskitchen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Food_Eatah wrote:Any good cooks on here? Just wondering if anyone's got good suggestions for onion and garlic substitutes for dishes. I am refraining from the 5 pungent herbs if i can!
I am a really good cook.
However, garlic and onions are always involved.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

I do not adhere to this edict....useing chili in most meals which is a very hot spice.

but I can't eat onions as they bother my digestion. I find certain oils approximate the taste (to my taste) of onions, such as hemp or flaxseed oil.

So I would suggest smelling difference oils that may be used in cooking to see if any approximate the smell of onion(abeit less pungent) to your taste.

Western cooking oils are mainly bland and have no taste to them, but many oils impart taste and may be used to cook with.
Oils such as flax and hemp are not bad for you as some oils may be.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nangwa wrote:
Food_Eatah wrote:Any good cooks on here? Just wondering if anyone's got good suggestions for onion and garlic substitutes for dishes. I am refraining from the 5 pungent herbs if i can!
I am a really good cook.
However, garlic and onions are always involved.
:D

Kevin
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Sigh... :( guess If will just try the recipes straight as they are without garlic or onion. I am trying to make some blue cheese coliflower casserole and vegie steak n cheese pie.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Manjulaskitchen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, Manjula is one of my favorites.
She is a Jain, and avoids the 5 pungents, but uses plenty of hing. :shrug:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

justsit wrote:
Kunga Lhadzom wrote:

Yes, Manjula is one of my favorites.
She is a Jain, and avoids the 5 pungents, but uses plenty of hing. :shrug:

Yes, I live/work with Jains, and we all indulge profusely...lol
I add hing before , during , and after cooking... :emb:
I recently found out it could be tainted with lead too :(
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Sounds like it's more pungent than the standard 5 pungent herbs! :shrug:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Is there any benefit in seeing to it that onions and garlic are always eaten well cooked? Does this minimize the harm in any way?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

catmoon wrote:TOPIC REVIEW: COOKING ADVICE
catmoon wrote:Is there any benefit in seeing to it that onions and garlic are always eaten well cooked? Does this minimize the harm in any way?
I don't know Catmoon. You don't read about any if's, and's or but's.
Garlic & Onion are also known as anti-parasitics...so I suppose killing worms/parasites in your gut is bad huh ?

I guess I will never be a real Bodhisattva if I eat these substances :crying:

But a real Bodhisattva doesn't see things dualistically.....

Funny....when I go to a buffet with my teacher, I noticed i make a separate pile for each item of food on my plate.
My teacher makes one big pile....lol
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Food_Eatah wrote:Sigh... :( guess If will just try the recipes straight as they are without garlic or onion. I am trying to make some blue cheese coliflower casserole and vegie steak n cheese pie.
These foods should be fine without adding onion & garlic...add extra black pepper maybe ?

Anyways...do you have a teacher ?
What does he say about this ?
It would be best to follow his advice.
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

My teacher recommends refraining from those 5 pungent herbs.

Return to “Lounge”