Studying Nyingma

User avatar
sangyey
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby sangyey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 pm

What Is Nyingma Gyubum? From my understanding it contains a compilation of Nyingma texts.

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby heart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:22 am

sangyey wrote:What Is Nyingma Gyubum? From my understanding it contains a compilation of Nyingma texts.


http://www.rangjung.com/gl/Nyingma_Gyubum.htm

Maha, Anu and Ati Tantras.

/magnus
We are all here to help each other go through this, whatever it is.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa

"Even though you have recognized your essence, if you do not get accustomed to it,
You will be carried away by the enemy of thoughts, like a small child in a battle field.
So long as you are not free from the limitations of accepting and rejecting,
That long will you not recognize the view of the innermost secret heart-essence."

-Longchenpa

User avatar
sangyey
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby sangyey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Excellent! Thank you Magnus.

I was also wondering if Longchenpa's Seven Treasuries are his principle or only works or if he is responsible for other texts or collections?

User avatar
Paul
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:51 pm

sangyey wrote:Excellent! Thank you Magnus.

I was also wondering if Longchenpa's Seven Treasuries are his principle or only works or if he is responsible for other texts or collections?


http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... s_Writings

:reading:
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

User avatar
sangyey
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby sangyey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:43 pm

And Jigme Lingpa's works.....?

:anjali:

User avatar
sangyey
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby sangyey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:53 pm


User avatar
Paul
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:01 pm

sangyey wrote:And Jigme Lingpa's works.....?

:anjali:


I've read his "Ladder to Akanistha", which is in this book: http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=16612

Very good indeed (which isn't a surprise, really). Especially useful as completion stage information of this quality is hard to find.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby heart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:08 am

sangyey wrote:And Jigme Lingpa's works.....?

:anjali:


This is an interesting book although a bit scholarly but containing interesting translations; Approaching the Great Perfection: Simultaneous and Gradual Methods of Dzogchen Practice in the Longchen Nyingtig by Sam van Schaik
This is also very good; Gateway to the Great Perfection: A Guide to the Dzogchen Preliminaries by Cortland Dahl

and of course Deity, Mantra and Wisdom that Hayagriva mentioned before.

Then of course the complete Yeshe Lama is translated http://www.snowlionpub.com/html/product_9836.html

/magnus
We are all here to help each other go through this, whatever it is.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa

"Even though you have recognized your essence, if you do not get accustomed to it,
You will be carried away by the enemy of thoughts, like a small child in a battle field.
So long as you are not free from the limitations of accepting and rejecting,
That long will you not recognize the view of the innermost secret heart-essence."

-Longchenpa

User avatar
Virgo
Posts: 1912
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Globe

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Virgo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:47 pm

heart wrote:This is an interesting book although a bit scholarly but containing interesting translations; Approaching the Great Perfection: Simultaneous and Gradual Methods of Dzogchen Practice in the Longchen Nyingtig by Sam van Schaik
This is also very good; Gateway to the Great Perfection: A Guide to the Dzogchen Preliminaries by Cortland Dahl

and of course Deity, Mantra and Wisdom that Hayagriva mentioned before.

Then of course the complete Yeshe Lama is translated http://www.snowlionpub.com/html/product_9836.html

/magnus

You need the DI and the reading transmission though.

Kevin

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby heart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Virgo wrote:
heart wrote:This is an interesting book although a bit scholarly but containing interesting translations; Approaching the Great Perfection: Simultaneous and Gradual Methods of Dzogchen Practice in the Longchen Nyingtig by Sam van Schaik
This is also very good; Gateway to the Great Perfection: A Guide to the Dzogchen Preliminaries by Cortland Dahl

and of course Deity, Mantra and Wisdom that Hayagriva mentioned before.

Then of course the complete Yeshe Lama is translated http://www.snowlionpub.com/html/product_9836.html

/magnus

You need the DI and the reading transmission though.

Kevin


Yes, that is true. But it is well worth to try to achieve because the text is very interesting.

/magnus
We are all here to help each other go through this, whatever it is.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa

"Even though you have recognized your essence, if you do not get accustomed to it,
You will be carried away by the enemy of thoughts, like a small child in a battle field.
So long as you are not free from the limitations of accepting and rejecting,
That long will you not recognize the view of the innermost secret heart-essence."

-Longchenpa

User avatar
Paul
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Is there such a book as "Center of the Sunlit Sky" presenting the intricacies of madhyamaka for the Nyingma lineage?
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

User avatar
sangyey
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby sangyey » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:21 am

Do Nyingma's specifically follow Bhavavivika's works?

Silent Bob
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Silent Bob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:53 am

Hayagriva wrote:Is there such a book as "Center of the Sunlit Sky" presenting the intricacies of madhyamaka for the Nyingma lineage?


Well, there's this: http://www.namsebangdzo.com/Mipam_on_Bu ... /15996.htm

In truth, I haven't read it, but translators I know and respect speak well of Mr Duckworth and his work. I don't know if there's anyone out there working with Nyingma texts whose scope is as inclusive as Karl Brunnholzl's is with Karma Kagyu material.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"

Pema Rigdzin
Posts: 1031
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:29 am

sangyey wrote:Do Nyingma's specifically follow Bhavavivika's works?


In my experience, in terms of Indian Madhyamaka shastras, Nyingmapas seem to focus on works like Chandrakirti's Madhyamakavatara (Entering the Middle Way) and Shantarakshita's Madhyamakalankara (Ornament of the Middle way).For the most part, though, it seems like they lean more towards relying on Tibetan commentaries on these Indian shastras by the likes of Longchenpa and Mipham Rinpoche. My experience in this area is somewhat limited, though.

Pema Rigdzin
Posts: 1031
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:33 am

Hayagriva wrote:Is there such a book as "Center of the Sunlit Sky" presenting the intricacies of madhyamaka for the Nyingma lineage?


There is a text published under this name, but it is about Madhyamaka according to the Kagyu tradition, not Nyingma.

*Oops, I think I misunderstood what you meant. I don't know of a Nyingma commentary presented as something like an analog to the text you mentioned, but you will definitely get the predominant Nyingma view in books like "Introduction to the Middle Way," which consists of Chandrakirti's Madhyamakavatara and Mipham Rinpoche's commentary on it.

User avatar
Paul
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Paul » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:41 am

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Hayagriva wrote:Is there such a book as "Center of the Sunlit Sky" presenting the intricacies of madhyamaka for the Nyingma lineage?


There is a text published under this name, but it is about Madhyamaka according to the Kagyu tradition, not Nyingma.


You've misread me - I'm looking for a Nyingma book about madhyamaka that's as through as Center of the Sunlit Sky is for the Kagyu lineage.


Pema Rigdzin wrote:I don't know of a Nyingma commentary presented as something like an analog to the text you mentioned, but you will definitely get the predominant Nyingma view in books like "Introduction to the Middle Way," which consists of Chandrakirti's Madhyamakavatara and Mipham Rinpoche's commentary on it.


Thanks, I have that book. I've not read it in ages, so I'll dig it out again.

http://www.amazon.com/Mipam-Buddha-Natu ... d_sxp_f_pt looks ideal, although it's not cheap...

*edit* it is cheap at Namse Bangdzo.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

User avatar
sangyey
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby sangyey » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:46 am

Who do Nyingma's look to for their commentary on lojong? And on pramana?

Zenda
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby Zenda » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:02 pm

I don't know if there is a specifically Nyingma approach to the seven points of mind training, but this book is very, very good:

Enlightened Courage: An Explanation of the Seven-Point Mind Training by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche (http://www.snowlionpub.com/html/product_8736.html)

User avatar
sangyey
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby sangyey » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:17 pm

Does anyone know where the most comprehensive treatment of the six perfections can be found in the Nyingma tradition?

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Studying Nyingma

Postby heart » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:50 pm

sangyey wrote:Does anyone know where the most comprehensive treatment of the six perfections can be found in the Nyingma tradition?


I think you have to realize that the treatment of the various Mahayana tenets does not change so much between the various schools Sangey.

/magnus
We are all here to help each other go through this, whatever it is.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa

"Even though you have recognized your essence, if you do not get accustomed to it,
You will be carried away by the enemy of thoughts, like a small child in a battle field.
So long as you are not free from the limitations of accepting and rejecting,
That long will you not recognize the view of the innermost secret heart-essence."

-Longchenpa


Return to “Nyingma”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests