YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hi I'm Chloe. - Dhamma Wheel

Hi I'm Chloe.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Chloe9

Hi I'm Chloe.

Postby Chloe9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi my names Chloe. My mom is Thai/Lao/Chinese; but born and raised in Battambang, Cambodia. My dad is Mexican-American. He became a Buddhist when he was dating my mom. I was born and raised in Theravada Buddhism - the kind which is practiced in Thailand and Cambodia. But my great grandmother is Lao/Thai and my great grandfather is Teochew Chinese so we have certain Chinese Buddhist aspects in our Buddhism not "orthodox" to Theravada :) such as burning ghost money to your ancestors etc. My gramma is Thai/Lao/Chinese and my Grandpa is Khmer/Teochew Chinese.

I live out here in California where I was born and raised. I'm under 25 years old and over 20. I never really bothered to study or look into my Buddhism growing up. But recently for a few years I've been taking a closer look at Buddhism. I have a large amount of natural resources when it comes to learning about Buddhism because a lot of my grandfathers [grandpa and his brothers and cousins] are monks. I had a great grand father who was a late Preah Samdach Sang of the Tammayut Sangha in Thailand who past away in the 90's.

So for the past few years I've been reading whatever I can find of books from the Tipitakas, and learning what I can from the monks in my family. Most - if not all - of the monks in my family come from the Forest Tradition of Theravada, which is something I really like. The greatest aspect I love about Theravada is Vibhajavada.

I thought I'd come hang out with you guys and see if I can learn something new, and maybe impart what insights I might have as well. If you are Thai, Lao, Khmer, Chinese, or Mexican - holla at a sista :) I only speak Khmer though, some Spanish, and some Thai: my grandparents never taught us [me and my cousins or my mom her siblings] Thai and Lao. American English is my first language, which I have a high command of :)

Chloe
“Do not believe in anything because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observing and analysis, when you find anything that agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it.” – Buddha (Anguttara Nikaya, Vol1, 188-193)

bodom

Re: Hi I'm Chloe.

Postby bodom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Welcome Chloe9!

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Chloe9

Postby Chloe9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:43 pm

“Do not believe in anything because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observing and analysis, when you find anything that agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it.” – Buddha (Anguttara Nikaya, Vol1, 188-193)

Moggalana

Postby Moggalana » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Hello Chloe,

welcome to DhammaWheel. Quite an intersting family history you've got there :)
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.

cooran

Postby cooran » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Hello Chloe, :hello:

What a rich background you have!

Welcome from an Australian with irish, english, scottish, and polish genes in there somewhere! :smile:

with metta :group:
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:19 pm

Welcome Chloe! Sounds like you've got a lot of great resources at your command. I wish you happiness and success! Metta.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Chloe9

Postby Chloe9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody :)

I'll be lurking and reading the forums for a while before I start posting.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:41 am

Hi Chloe
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel and thank you for your interesting introduction!
I hope you feel at home amongst us.
with metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 am

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

I love that avatar!

nissaranamagga

Postby nissaranamagga » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:44 am

Hello Chloe,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel. Hope you will enjoy it here and benefit.

much metta,

Chan.

Guy

Postby Guy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Chloe,

Welcome to the forum!

You are very fortunate to have many elders in the family who are forest monks! Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 pm

:hello:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Tex

Postby Tex » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi, Chloe.

I'm American of English descent on my mother's side and Swedish and Polish on my father's side. That makes me tall and white. And I don't have a Texas accent, so don't read my posts with one!

Welcome to the forum.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Dhammabodhi

Postby Dhammabodhi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:19 pm

Welcome to DW, Chloe!

You are of course immensely fortunate to have noble people around you, but considered yourself truly fortunate that you are attracted to the nectar of Dhamma at such a young age!

I, like you, had immense resources for learning Dhamma growing up, Bodh Gaya is half an hour away from my parent's home. But I didn't have the right conditions to be able to learn about Buddhadhamma and utilise those resources. Only after I've come thousands of miles away I have realized the importance of that place!

I hope you gain deep insights into the nature of Dhamma and your own mind. :anjali:

Metta,
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka

somniis

Postby somniis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Greetings!

I hope you enjoy reading these forums. :meditate:

Be well,
somniis

metta_noob