Ato Rinpoche

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
florin

Ato Rinpoche

Post by florin »

does anyone here know what kind of teacher he is..?
style ,teachings,specialities...

I am asking because there is very little information about him .
I have been thinking for some time now about going to see him but i would like to know a bit more before i do that...

there is a small group of disciples following his teachings but there isn't much information about them...no website, no centre,not muuch at all and is been this way for years and years.

I am wondering what would be the reason for remaining unknown for so long..

Is it a closed circle or what?

Any thoughts appreciatted...
Heruka

Re: Ato Rinpoche

Post by Heruka »

maybe you have seen the horsemanship riding in tibet where young men try to impress the ladies with their courage at grabbing a white scarf from the ground whilst riding fast, crashing to the ground and into each other as they lean right down out of the saddle? its really quite a show. Well there are many teachers like that these days on the teaching circuit, each trying to grab the prize. maybe this teacher is not one of those?
florin

Post by florin »

you are right...he could well be one of those who are not interested in prizes and building huge comunities

there are so many teachers nowadays who are involved in empire-building works and you as a disciple end up marginalized and are given 3 minutes to talk to your teacher every two years ..
muni

Post by muni »

http://www.khandro.net/lama_Ato.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"He worked as a nurse at Fulbourn Psychiatric Hospital".
It is easier to talk about compassion.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

I met him once some years ago, he seemed to be very kind and sincere.
muni

Post by muni »

Thank you Ven Huifeng.

On a travel, sitting among Taiwanese people and many other nationalities, we were together listening to teachings. My plastic cup was broken and I couldn't get tea which was offered. One woman gave her plastic tupperware pot in which she had a piece of cake. She cleaned the pot and gave it me. "Take some tea", she said. Meanwhile we kept an umbrella above some heads to protect for the hot sun beams. Taiwanese, Canadese and many other "ese"; no labels were present. Only really kind people and cake. We prayed together.

Ato Rinpoche is seeing beyond labels.
florin

Post by florin »

That is a very general and amiguous statement. :thinking: :shrug:

I see beyond labels-as in living among a very diverse group of nationalities-and that doesn't make me special.

Lots of people see beyond labels and are not bothered by diversity and variety.

I need more than that.
muni

Post by muni »

No, you don't.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

To state that a Teacher might just be interested in prizes and fame without knowing them or their activities is not a sensible thing to do.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
muni

Post by muni »

Sonam Wangchug wrote:To state that a Teacher might just be interested in prizes and fame without knowing them or their activities is not a sensible thing to do.
Still we should recognize this. When there is a merely knowing presence, one knows how sit, can rattle a lot of texts.
Or an unpretentious all embracing presence, boundlesly compassionate and wise. Ah!

Then where is the teacher, where is the student?
Undescridable.
florin

Post by florin »

so is Ato Rinpoche someone who is" an unpretentious all embracing presence, boundlesly compassionate and wise"?
muni

Post by muni »

:smile: No doubt.

It is up to us to recognize the qualities which are like medicines to undo own painful delusion, whether a teacher has a "famous" name or not is only ordinary thought.

The quality which lack any self importance, lack competition, which is like a compassionated light-energy, let me there dissolve.
thomas

Post by thomas »

I've known Ato Rinpoche for many years. He's a very genuine teacher and a master of Dzogchen and Mahamudra. He is based in Cambridge in the UK, where he runs a very small meditation class each month that is open to anyone who is interested. He prefers not to have a Dharma centre, so rents a school hall for the meditation classes. He usually spends the summer months in Tibet, where he has been restoring his old monastery for some years. He's really a fabulous teacher. I would say he encourages practice more than academic study, and is very strong on just developing good human qualities, regardless of one's religion or lack of religion. He's also strong on the ecumenical approach to religion and Buddhism. I think he's maybe not so well known because he's not into self-promotion. But I can guarantee you that he's very genuine and kind. He was a close friend of Bokar Rinpoche before his death and is still close with Thrangu Rinpoche, which should point to his place in the Tibetan Buddhist community. A really great person to know. Oh, and he is the nephew of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche too, and I think you can make out the resemblance.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”